Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2nd gear woes on my V-one RRR

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default 2nd gear woes on my V-one RRR

After finally getting the centax clutch setup on my V-one RRR Shimo shimmed to perfection, I am now having issues getting 2nd gear to engage. I seem to be either too tight or too loose. I am sure to be adjusting them together evenly and I remove the clutch housing to do so to ensure I'm precise, not using the tiny adjustment hole.

For a brand new 2nd gear clutch and housing on a V-one RRR, what would be an optimum starting point from the adjusting screws all the way in? EG: how many full turns out from all the way in should I back them out as a starting point so I can work either looser or tighter from there?

Thanks!

Alex
Old 06-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 92GTA
After finally getting the centax clutch setup on my V-one RRR Shimo shimmed to perfection, I am now having issues getting 2nd gear to engage. I seem to be either too tight or too loose. I am sure to be adjusting them together evenly and I remove the clutch housing to do so to ensure I'm precise, not using the tiny adjustment hole.

For a brand new 2nd gear clutch and housing on a V-one RRR, what would be an optimum starting point from the adjusting screws all the way in? EG: how many full turns out from all the way in should I back them out as a starting point so I can work either looser or tighter from there?

Thanks!

Alex
Bottom out the screws, then 2 turn CCW. 1/4 turn CCW till it starts engage 2nd gear.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Wow really? The manual said 3 full turns but even that seems too tight.

Just found out the inner bearing on my clutch bellhousing blew apart so I'll have to wait until Saturday to give it another try...
Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Thanks!

Alex
Sometimes the shoes are slightly misaligned. I've had this happen w/ my evo and i took a nail file and made sure my shoes didn't have any protrusions around the edge that mates w/ the gear. I also got a tip from someone on the forums that if you don't grease those little rollers properly your 2sp won't engage consistently.

I followed the manual's suggestions and then tuned it from there it was only about 1/8 turn off on each screw for a flash w/ 17/22 56/60 for gearing.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:04 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks!

Alex
Along with resetting the screws to 2 turns CCW from tight and 1/4 out at a time after that, make sure the surface your two speed throws against is wiped down and free of oil. I raced sedan for many years and am now racing 1/8 scale and the problem of the 2-speed slipping I have experiences with both. This happened to my V1-RRR on more than one occasion. You can also take a shop or paper towel and wipe the ouside surface of the shoes again to help remove any thing that could make the shoe slippery.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Cool, thanks for the tips guys!