Clutch Nut

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:55 AM
Les
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Clutch Nut

Hello,

Having problems with my 733 clutch, the retaining nut that tensions the spring is unwinding during racing, the nut finish's up flush with the end of the crank thread and its running against the clutch bell, i have been spacing the bell out with shims as you do so its not dragging on the clutch bell.

Pain in the rear problem.

Any Idea's would be appreciated.

Les
Old 05-22-2011, 03:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Les
Hello,

Having problems with my 733 clutch, the retaining nut that tensions the spring is unwinding during racing, the nut finish's up flush with the end of the crank thread and its running against the clutch bell, i have been spacing the bell out with shims as you do so its not dragging on the clutch bell.

Pain in the rear problem.

Any Idea's would be appreciated.

Les
what pre load are you running Les ? i think Rodney had this issue too, and the lack of preload he was using allowed it to unwind. if that is not the issue, you can use blue loctite and let it go off. the new flywheel nuts have a red coating on them, this tends to lock them on when wound up. can always ring me as well when you get stuck.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:09 AM
Les
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
what pre load are you running Les ? i think Rodney had this issue too, and the lack of preload he was using allowed it to unwind. if that is not the issue, you can use blue loctite and let it go off. the new flywheel nuts have a red coating on them, this tends to lock them on when wound up. can always ring me as well when you get stuck.
Thanks Patto, had my first run at Brendale 2day awsome track, preload 1.1mm never had the problem before, the engine rotates opposite 2 the nut so you would think it impossible to unwind, it only takes about 5 laps then I notice the engine bog starting.Good mixture of car brands here. Only have red loctite will that do or should I buy some blue.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Les
Thanks Patto, had my first run at Brendale 2day awsome track, preload 1.1mm never had the problem before, the engine rotates opposite 2 the nut so you would think it impossible to unwind, it only takes about 5 laps then I notice the engine bog starting.Good mixture of car brands here. Only have red loctite will that do or should I buy some blue.
see if you can get blue. red maybe too strong. but use it if you have to. what happens is the red stuff on the flywheel nut wears off. then there isnt much to hold on the thread, as everything is worn in pretty well.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:03 AM
Tech Master

How much endplay you have on the clutch?? Too much would would loosen clutch or delay clutch engagement. I never used loctite coz of contant ajusting. You get in correct you shouldn't have that problem.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Tech Lord

Also be sure that damages to the nut and the clutchbell (sticking out edges) are grinded away. They can be made when using a small pin through the clutchbell adjusting the nut
Old 05-22-2011, 04:58 PM
Les
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Geezatec
How much endplay you have on the clutch?? Too much would would loosen clutch or delay clutch engagement. I never used loctite coz of contant ajusting. You get in correct you shouldn't have that problem.
Thanks, yes I tried minimal endplay and also generous endplay also swapped the clutch adjusting nut with one off another engine,it still unwound itself.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

We have the same problem on the 966, just put a little bit of locktite on the nut and it stops.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Les
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nitrodude
We have the same problem on the 966, just put a little bit of locktite on the nut and it stops.
Thanks Nitrodude and all who offered their suggestions, much appreciated.

Les
Old 05-22-2011, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Les
Thanks, yes I tried minimal endplay and also generous endplay also swapped the clutch adjusting nut with one off another engine,it still unwound itself.
You didnt answer my question. I asked how much of endplay. You just told me minimum & maximum. Tell what the minimum measurement you obtained.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Tech Elite

You didnt answer my question. I asked how much of endplay. You just told me minimum & maximum. Tell what the minimum measurement you obtained.
i dont think it really matters now. the situation should be sorted .
minimal means next to no end play, and generouse, i would presume around 0.4 ? either way, its not how the clutch is engaging initially, its when the clutch nut comes loose, less preload on the spring, then it becomes boggy.

the serpent flywheel nuts, come with a red coating on them, this is kind of like a thread locking compound. when you remove your clutch a few times, this tends to dissapear, and the wear on the threads it becomes not as tight as when new. so wear to thread, and the locking compound wearing away contributes to the problem. has nothing to do with end play.

But Les, as roelof suggested, make sure everything is smooth inside where it was spinning on the bell.
Old 05-23-2011, 12:58 AM
Les
Tech Addict

Yes 0.1
Old 05-23-2011, 01:05 AM
Les
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
i dont think it really matters now. the situation should be sorted .
minimal means next to no end play, and generouse, i would presume around 0.4 ? either way, its not how the clutch is engaging initially, its when the clutch nut comes loose, less preload on the spring, then it becomes boggy.

the serpent flywheel nuts, come with a red coating on them, this is kind of like a thread locking compound. when you remove your clutch a few times, this tends to dissapear, and the wear on the threads it becomes not as tight as when new. so wear to thread, and the locking compound wearing away contributes to the problem. has nothing to do with end play.

But Les, as roelof suggested, make sure everything is smooth inside where it was spinning on the bell.
No worries Patto, the clutch has been disassembled quite a few times trying different engines so you are possibly correct with your theory, as I set the clutch up same as I always do, will try small amount of locktite till new flywheel nut arrives, test it at Bayside this weekend and post the result on this forum. Racing every weekend the Missus (pitcrew) loves it LOL

Cheers
Old 05-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Les
No worries Patto, the clutch has been disassembled quite a few times trying different engines so you are possibly correct with your theory, as I set the clutch up same as I always do, will try small amount of locktite till new flywheel nut arrives, test it at Bayside this weekend and post the result on this forum. Racing every weekend the Missus (pitcrew) loves it LOL

Cheers
good luck , states here in 2 weeks
got the 733 ready, just have to change over the 966 now. back to nitro !
Old 05-23-2011, 04:46 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Bayside

Originally Posted by Les

Cheers
Good stuff, see you there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.