Wiki Posts
Search

Tire truer recommendations??????

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default truer

Great reply's guy's....now i know what to look at [arbor movement]...the auto just would make it so you don't have to be watching it all the time....

Has anyone seen or tried the GQ racing truer???...looks interesting...just might be different than the Hudy/Ofna or Integy..
Old 10-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

forget the automatic truers, it takes less than 5 minutes to true a set of tires. Check out this integy truer, I added the hudy carbide cutting bit and it works great at $139;

http://integy.automated-shops.com/cg...56104054557.99
Old 10-03-2004, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Manual or Auto,
All depends on how many tires you think you may need to cut. Let say your new 1/8th tires come out of the box at 82 mm, and you need to start out at 76mm, yea, you can hog it all off at once, but that is a lot of heat during cutting, as for me, auto is the only way to go, it cuts, I continue to work on the car.
I have heard the GQ truer is of good quality, if I were to get another, it would be the GQ or the Integey with the HUDY bit of course.
Smitty
Old 10-03-2004, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by smitty
Manual or Auto,
All depends on how many tires you think you may need to cut. Let say your new 1/8th tires come out of the box at 82 mm, and you need to start out at 76mm, yea, you can hog it all off at once, but that is a lot of heat during cutting, as for me, auto is the only way to go, it cuts, I continue to work on the car.
I have heard the GQ truer is of good quality, if I were to get another, it would be the GQ or the Integey with the HUDY bit of course.
Smitty
Yep agree if you are hogging off 6mm or so you need a few more passes. I usually do 65mm to 59mm in 3 passes.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:30 AM
Tech Regular

Default truer

Do any of the truers have a auto feature to cut the tires pre- cambered [coned]???? or is it done manually???
Old 10-04-2004, 10:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Re: truer

Originally posted by 6Cuda6
Do any of the truers have a auto feature to cut the tires pre- cambered [coned]???? or is it done manually???
Well, that is one of the reason you might want to spend that extra $50 to get the Integy TEAM AUTO truer....
I am not sure exactly what you mean auto, but when you cut pre-cambered tires...all you have to do is DIALED the camber angle (from 0-3 degrees) then press the START button, then the truer will go RIGHT then LEFT and cut the tires in CAMBERS...

However, that is also a reason why AUTO might be better (again, just my opinion)........if you cut foams in ANGLES, the inside edge of the tire will be TRUED with more foams then the far side...that extra foams will generated extra torque and feedback to your hand/lever.......if you are using the manual swing lever, that might required some skills and LUCK...

I cannot say AUTOMATIC are 100% for sure better, but for a $40-50 more.......I don't see why I will buy the $140 Truer with less feature compare to the $190 truer that come with all the feature that HUDY $500 truer gave you.

I still thing the $190 Integy Auto truer is the best buy........

And of course, I know that GQ truer is definitely a GOOD TRUER...problem.....where to get one?
Old 10-04-2004, 10:45 AM
Tech Regular

Default truer

Does anyone know were to get the GQ truer???...i know Dalton has them advertized but that's a little far to ship.....
Old 10-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by AMGRacer
Yep agree if you are hogging off 6mm or so you need a few more passes. I usually do 65mm to 59mm in 3 passes.
I usually do the same way like you did, I don't believe I can TRUE off 6mm in 1 pass.........it is very highly it will chunk the foams and add more stress to the motor...

However, I saw those ppl who raced indoor carpet electric.....they all TRUE off that 6mm in only1 pass............THAT, made me wonder it is possible to cut it without taking several pass....

But still, I personally, would not do that..........
Old 10-04-2004, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

There is only one choice and that is the HUDY. I have used all of the tire truers out there and the HUDY is the best. They offer a crank type manual version for about half the price of their auto version and it works just as well.

The reason the Hudy truers are the best is accuracy. You can very accurately set the depth of the cutting bit time after time. There is no equal to the Hudy in this respect.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default truer

Can you pre- camber tires with the manual Hudy or is a guessing game..unlike the auto were you can select it..
Old 10-04-2004, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Racing4Evo
There is only one choice and that is the HUDY. I have used all of the tire truers out there and the HUDY is the best. They offer a crank type manual version for about half the price of their auto version and it works just as well.

The reason the Hudy truers are the best is accuracy. You can very accurately set the depth of the cutting bit time after time. There is no equal to the Hudy in this respect.
I cant totally agree here. The HUDY suffers from the same source of inaccuracy that all the others suffer from, namely the fact that the softer shore tires expand under load. The advantage of the HUDY is that you can adjust it to compensate, but if you true a different shore you need to readjust. I use the Q world truer and I can always true my foams to exactly where I want it to be with absolutely no problems. Thats the hassle of the auto truers to me, you have to calibrate it which takes time. If you always use 40 shore for example then you dont have to worry.
Old 10-04-2004, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
I usually do the same way like you did, I don't believe I can TRUE off 6mm in 1 pass.........it is very highly it will chunk the foams and add more stress to the motor...

However, I saw those ppl who raced indoor carpet electric.....they all TRUE off that 6mm in only1 pass............THAT, made me wonder it is possible to cut it without taking several pass....

But still, I personally, would not do that..........
You will also generally find that taking smaller bites out of the tire makes the cutting bit last longer and gives you a better finish, same as using any lathe, smaller cuts are always better than one big bite.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default 6cuda6

i got my truer today and i doesnt cum with a thing to hold the wheel it just a shaft you have to buy the wheel holder seperate
Old 10-05-2004, 11:29 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: 6cuda6

Originally posted by pink pac man
i got my truer today and i doesnt cum with a thing to hold the wheel it just a shaft you have to buy the wheel holder seperate
It is called an arbor and most truers dont come with them. You would think the shop you bought it from would have told you that
Old 10-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

Correct me if i'm wrong but is the GQ tire truer, almost the same as the ofna? It sure looked similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.