R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-03-2011, 05:10 PM   #16
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Oil thickens when it gets cold so I don't think I'd want to make the Caster in the mix all gummy nor would I want all that condensation in my fuel bottle when I pull it out of it's cold bath and into the heat. I think it was a good point too when someone said something about the tune changing halfway through the tank. From what I've heard sunlight is the worst enemy of nitro fuel, it breaks down the chemicals, not temp.
TEKIN RX8 Trinity D8 1950
Spektrum DX3S/SR3500 JR 8711
X-Ray NT1, Losi XXX-SCB/Micro T, CRC GenXL, Blade 120SR
If everything is under control, you are going too slow- Mario Andretti
Lapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #17
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Cooling fuels is done in full scale cars because they are looking to gain 1/10th of a second advantage per lap, shrinking the scale also shrinks the advantage one might gain from doing a certain action. So, if you need an extra 1/100th of a second gain per lap to win the race, go for it, other than that, in RC i doubt there would be any measurable difference between iced and room temp fuels.

As for the degradation aspect of keeping fuels in a cool dark place, i use just under a quart in an average race meeting where i live, so i buy a quart on the day and throw away whatever is left so there is no advantage to keeping the fuel in an box etc because the degradation over the course of 6 hours is not mensurable either.

About my only real concern is with moisture, alcohol will absorb moisture from the air very quickly, this will give a noticeable performance declines and changes to tune, so keep the caps on all containers to reduce the amount of time the fuel is exposed to the air.
RogerDaShrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

I know this is really old but oh well.I keep my fuel in the freezer at around 30* F and I've never seen it get noticably thicker let alone gel up. I can't say if it boosts the performance or not(I like to think it does) But it definitely keeps the engine running cooler. I haven't checked how quickly the fuel reheats in the tank, but I'll definitely monitor it next time I take my truck out.
Doggifizzle is offline   Reply With Quote