Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Is On-Road racing dead? >

Is On-Road racing dead?

Is On-Road racing dead?

Old 05-26-2011, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bundy_Bear
Sounds like i am just a tight arse then.... Cause i think it is crazy that you have to spend approx $600 dollars on a chassis and then purchase radio gear and engine seperate to be competitive.

And my point is Electric and off-road have cheaper alternatives where you can get something ready to go for $400 approx.

Sorry if people find this discussion offensive and a turn off for new people looking at getting in...

Andrew
You only need to buy a radio once. Most radios these days are computer radios and have memories for more than one car. If the starting cost is scaring you, you shouldnt be in the hobby, onroad or offroad. RC racing is just a luxury. Most of my friends think its crazy how much my real car is(its not THAT much), but I get a lot of pleasure from driving it. RC is the same, when I tell people that I have about $1700 invested in my 966, plus the radio they think its crazy, but I get pleasure from racing it. Not only that, most of the stuff in the car will get transfered over to the next model, servos last for ages, motors will last a long time if taken care of properly.

I shake my head when people complain about the cost of the "expendables" (tires, fuel, bodies, pipes, bearings), its the cost of racing
Old 05-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Sounds like i am just a tight arse then.... Cause i think it is crazy that you have to spend approx $600 dollars on a chassis and then purchase radio gear and engine seperate to be competitive.

And my point is Electric and off-road have cheaper alternatives where you can get something ready to go for $400 approx.

Sorry if people find this discussion offensive and a turn off for new people looking at getting in...

Andrew
My electric Mugen buggy was almost 400...Thats no motor no servo no speedo no tires.

What are you competitive with that was 400 bucks ready to run?

I think there is a large difference in what some think is competitive.

Interested in what you have so i can go the cheaper route next time. I am looking forward to running some offroad this winter.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think more of the on road racers that like to arrive and drive went to 1/8gt, and that made it seem that 8scale and 1/10 touring were dying, but the opposite is happening instead: newcomers in 1/8gt outnumber the guys leaving the 8scale/touring...
Old 05-26-2011, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
I think more of the on road racers that like to arrive and drive went to 1/8gt, and that made it seem that 8scale and 1/10 touring were dying, but the opposite is happening instead: newcomers in 1/8gt outnumber the guys leaving the 8scale/touring...
I know what your saying. and I dont understand it.

Sure motors are a bit cheaper, but tires..... tires cost 50-60 bucks a weekend. and thats if you race 1 day.

you can use them to practice the "next weekend" but they will be slower then new tires.

Go to a 2 day race and thats 2-3 sets. $120-180 bucks.
The 1/8th GT cars take just as much money to keep running because they dont hold up as well.

Sure its a fun class but at a 2 day race I use 3 sets of foams $95

just saying 1/8th GT gas racing can look cheaper but its not really that much cheaper.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by nitrodude
You only need to buy a radio once. Most radios these days are computer radios and have memories for more than one car. If the starting cost is scaring you, you shouldnt be in the hobby, onroad or offroad. RC racing is just a luxury. Most of my friends think its crazy how much my real car is(its not THAT much), but I get a lot of pleasure from driving it. RC is the same, when I tell people that I have about $1700 invested in my 966, plus the radio they think its crazy, but I get pleasure from racing it. Not only that, most of the stuff in the car will get transfered over to the next model, servos last for ages, motors will last a long time if taken care of properly.

I shake my head when people complain about the cost of the "expendables" (tires, fuel, bodies, pipes, bearings), its the cost of racing
Nitrodude:

Actually i am not new, i have been doing this for 10 years!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Vector03cobra
My electric Mugen buggy was almost 400...Thats no motor no servo no speedo no tires.

What are you competitive with that was 400 bucks ready to run?

I think there is a large difference in what some think is competitive.

Interested in what you have so i can go the cheaper route next time. I am looking forward to running some offroad this winter.
SORRY EVERYONE FOR WASTING YOUR TIME.... I AM WRONG, AND YOU NEED TO BE PREPARED TO SPEND $2000 DOLLARS OR ELSE YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY!!!!!

ENJOY YOUR $2000 CLUB GUYS AND WATCH HOW LONG YOUR RACING CONTINUES FOR...

10 years ago i walked into my LHS bought and Thunder Tiger TS4n with radio for $400 dollars and went racing and won races with it. Anyone then could do the same..... Today we have club $2000 dollars!!!!

Watch the for sale section, i have about 15 cars about to sell cheap, some unopened!!!

Enjoy!
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default Interesting

This is an interesting thread... when i was growing up racing with my dad, we race 1/12 carpet, 1/10 clay oval, and 1/10 off-road. I was out of the hobby for 5-6 years until i was old enough to buy something myself. After going to a couple local tracks here in FL, i enjoyed on-road racing more than off-road. For me it was the detail to setup and how the slightest turn of a wrench could make you a TQ driver. Sure driving skill is the biggest part of being competitive, but in my opinion most on-road drivers can merge into off-road and be good, while on the other hand, i dont feel many off-road drivers can merge into on-road and be successful. It is not a bash on off-road guys, but from what i have seen, on-road courses and drivers are a little more technical than off-road.

I am sure i will get some bashing for this but it is just my opinion. Price does not really defer me from either b/c my new XRAY NT1 used was the same price as the Kyosho or Xray buggy i was looking at. I will say this though, to be competitive at a state, regional, or national level in on-road...you need to shell out some money for a good engine.

I am happy to see new people in the hobby and try to bring new people in...whether it is on-road or off-road...i still love the hobby
Old 05-26-2011, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

SORRY EVERYONE FOR WASTING YOUR TIME.... I AM WRONG, AND YOU NEED TO BE PREPARED TO SPEND $2000 DOLLARS OR ELSE YOU ARE WASTING YOUR TIME AND MONEY!!!!!

ENJOY YOUR $2000 CLUB GUYS AND WATCH HOW LONG YOUR RACING CONTINUES FOR...

10 years ago i walked into my LHS bought and Thunder Tiger TS4n with radio for $400 dollars and went racing and won races with it. Anyone then could do the same..... Today we have club $2000 dollars!!!!

Watch the for sale section, i have about 15 cars about to sell cheap, some unopened!!!

Enjoy!
Caps key got stuck.

look what you wrote man ...10 years ago.

in 1990 or 91 Cant remeber I was 12-13 and raced, I had a JRX-2 and a futaba magnum jr and really basic stuff and won, it was more then likely cheaper then your thunder tiger.

My first 1/12pan car was a fiberglass 12L and I was able to do very well with it at local races.

Can someone race and learn how to race with ready to run cars? Sure they can. Can they win races, I am sure they can. is it going to be competitive. I guess that depends on who your racing with.

I have seen a good number of ready to run or cars that are almost ready to run at onroad and offroad tracks, sure its a great way to get them into racing.

I am telling you if anyone else can drive the same or near the same and they have better stuff, they are going to win, not only that there is a good chance the product they are using is going to hold up better.

if your really that easy to get flustered and bust out the flame smile you might want to seek out the for sale thread and get out while you can.

No reason to get but hurt over a simple discussion.

I think why offroad is bigger is like some have said, its cheaper to get into to start with, once your racing its not going to be near as cheap and more then likely cost about the same. also you can use your offroad car to just bash around if you like. I dont know to many onroad racers just playing around with there onroad cars.

On the other hand you have far more weekend bashers that will try out racing.

I started in Dirt oval and offroad before moving to onroad, the cost is all about the same even more so if your talking 1/8th scale offroad vs 1/8th scale on road. with the exception of onroad 1/8th motors but even then you can get a good motor for under 380 now to start out with
Old 05-26-2011, 08:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think cost on both on road & off, depend on what level or racer are you or want to be. Some top racers change tire as they sock or atleast I hope they change there socks. I have run both cost to me is not much diffrent, tho in off road there is andvantage to less part breaks, small but still advantage. I race on road now travel once a month which include hotel, gas ect. So just depends on what level you are talking about.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:08 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just like any other hobby that is competitive based theirs always someone with more cash and more time to invest in it causing everyone else to start spending more to stay relevant in that hobby
one thing to keep prices down is spec type classes/rules
but imo biggest reason offroad is more popular is for under 500 bucks u can get into a decent rtr sct with everthing you need
I really don't see that in onroad take what I say with a grain of salt I just got back into racing passed nov
I own electric offroad/nitro offroad/nitro onroad cars
I have a bit of everything so on any givin weekend I have free time I have something that's scheduled
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dnf Don
Just like any other hobby that is competitive based theirs always someone with more cash and more time to invest in it causing everyone else to start spending more to stay relevant in that hobby
one thing to keep prices down is spec type classes/rules
but imo biggest reason offroad is more popular is for under 500 bucks u can get into a decent rtr sct with everthing you need
I really don't see that in onroad take what I say with a grain of salt I just got back into racing passed nov
I own electric offroad/nitro offroad/nitro onroad cars
I have a bit of everything so on any givin weekend I have free time I have something that's scheduled

Glad someone gets my point of view rather then making it personal!
Old 05-26-2011, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

On our local tracks there seems to be again more people in onroad than in offroad these days, it used be otherwise 2 years ago. why? because offroad has go so expensive and competitive! in onroad i can see especially gasoline cars exploding. if we had a local offroad track gasoline cars that could explode too. anyhow I don't see onroad dying, quite the opposite. it's movement between the two in waves. gas cars aren't necessarily inexpensive..
Old 05-26-2011, 11:24 PM
Tech Lord

I do not think many onroad racers make a switch to offroad. If you are an onroad fan and can not pay the high costs then you take a search for another onroad class.

Offroad is booming because most young drivers choose an offroad car as 1st RC car because they know the can drop it everywhere and take a drive. They grow up with this and later on a part of those starters will end up in the offroad racing scene. Beside that, it is less difficult to find a track close to home.

Onroad racing doesn't have to be expensive, I think Edam with their RTR 1/8 car does show that, it is a good choice for most 1/8 onroad starters to become an expert on clublevel racing. The high costs are more within the mind of the driver. He wants to have the new 900 dollar Murnan tuned Nova Flash PTS and all fancy titanium, carbon and aluminium upgrades and also lightweight rimms and bodies while most racers do not need it, most drivers do not gain an advantage with all those expensive and short live stuff. If you are more than a second off from the fastest laptimes then the fingers and the setup must do the trick and not the option parts.

I also do think on these forums there is less common sense. If a starter asks what engine he needs he will be pointed to many expensive engines and mostly modified while a simple cheap 5p or 7p engine will do fine but no, most people are telling him to get the Murnan Flash or something in that order.

The high costs are also really there but are also partly made by the users on these forums advising the wrong stuff making the starters thinking in the same way.....
Old 05-27-2011, 12:35 AM
Tech Initiate

I agree with Roelof here. Newcomers are led to believe or want to beleive that they need the expensive stuff in order to compete. At our track, when we have newcomers they often ask me what they need. I always tell them they need tires, fuel and a not-so-expensive engine (nowadays the Nova basic N12T1 is a perfect engine to start racing on club level). Then get an experienced racer to set up your car so that it is drivable and just drive a lot. Learn to understand your car as it is.

Then a few weeks later you'll see that same guy. He'll have an expensive engine, a tire truer (although everyone at the track has told him he can use theirs if he wants to) and possibly a different chassis. He hasn't driven it much, being too busy finding out what new stuff he 'needs'. He'll find out he's still not competitive despite throwing $1000 at his car in a month. He'll quit the hobby a month later or switch to a different class, do the same all over again and quit after that.

We all need to stop telling beginners that a $500 Flash Tuned is the best .12 engine. We need to tell beginners that a $100 N12T1 will make them just as fast (because it really does take quite a bit of skill and practice to be faster with the Flash than with the N12T1) and will leave them with $400 to buy 3 gallons of fuel and 30 sets of tires.

Now in offroad it seems to be the common belief that you don't really need an expensive engine (and rightfully so) and chassis in order to have fun at club level. Ofcourse the same is true in onroad, except very few people believe it.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by QuiXoTic_NL

We all need to stop telling beginners that a $500 Flash Tuned is the best .12 engine.
Not entirely true, but I know exactly what you mean to say.
It is a zippy engine, and it's designed to be ballistic, but only in the right hands it will perform like a demon If a noob gets it (which I have witnessed first hand) it is just like dropping a 1000HP engine into a street car with a driver that has no experience with that much power. Not wise

We need to tell beginners that a $100 N12T1 will make them just as fast (because it really does take quite a bit of skill and practice to be faster with the Flash than with the N12T1)
Im assuming this is a comparison between average racers?

...I think we went a little off-topic now...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.