Team Shepherd America

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigtee
that was alot of help

BigTee,
What he was getting at is when he built the clutch he used the standard information from the book. The clutch gap, End play, and spring tension. He was not trying to be funny.

What specifc help do you need around building the clutch? Where are you having issues? What engine is the clutch going on? etc etc.

thank you,
Old 11-29-2011, 10:20 AM
Tech Addict

Default clutch

Originally Posted by G87z
BigTee,
What he was getting at is when he built the clutch he used the standard information from the book. The clutch gap, End play, and spring tension. He was not trying to be funny.

What specifc help do you need around building the clutch? Where are you having issues? What engine is the clutch going on? etc etc.

thank you,
will not engage. it's on a rb 9 touring mod by rb. also how can i tell if this car is a v10 11 or just a reg v10 i brought it used it has some up grades
Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

will not engage. it's on a rb 9 touring mod by rb. also how can i tell if this car is a v10 11 or just a reg v10 i brought it used it has some up grades
The V10 - eleven upgrade kit contains a "hard" chassis but it looks exactly the same from what I see other than maybe it is 7075 aluminum instead of 60-61maybe? It also has the liteweight diff outdrives and aluminum axles that go in the hubs as well as a higher position mount front eccentrics. That is all that is different.

The clutch issue not engaging I assume you mean you pull the throttle and the motor turns but the tires don't? I would start with the clutch nut close to flush with the end of the threads.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

that was alot of help
What did you expect me to say? I answered your question.
Old 11-29-2011, 12:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
The V10 - eleven upgrade kit contains a "hard" chassis but it looks exactly the same from what I see other than maybe it is 7075 aluminum instead of 60-61maybe? It also has the liteweight diff outdrives and aluminum axles that go in the hubs as well as a higher position mount front eccentrics. That is all that is different.

The clutch issue not engaging I assume you mean you pull the throttle and the motor turns but the tires don't? I would start with the clutch nut close to flush with the end of the threads.
BigTee I would suggest doing what YBSLOW mentioned. Back off the clutch nut almost to the point where it is flush with the end of the threads. Have you measured the Gap?
For other resources Michael Salven put together a very good video on how to build a clutch. I beleive it is on YouTube.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:36 PM
Tech Addict

Default v10 clutch build up

BigTee I would suggest doing what YBSLOW mentioned. Back off the clutch nut almost to the point where it is flush with the end of the threads. Have you measured the Gap?
For other resources Michael Salven put together a very good video on how to build a clutch. I beleive it is on YouTube.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
i did it the way the instruction says do it and i still end up with end play more then 0.06 and tried doing it the way the youtube video instruction it look like i may have to add shims under the collet or i just dont have enough shims at the top end thrust bearing
Old 11-29-2011, 08:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

i did it the way the instruction says do it and i still end up with end play more then 0.06 and tried doing it the way the youtube video instruction it look like i may have to add shims under the collet or i just dont have enough shims at the top end thrust bearing
I always run a shim behind the collet on pretty much every engine i use. I guess should have mentioned that before! LoL. Let us know how it turns out after you try the shim behind the collet.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Default v10 clutch build up

I always run a shim behind the collet on pretty much every engine i use. I guess should have mentioned that before! LoL. Let us know how it turns out after you try the shim behind the collet.
yea thats what i will do when i get more shims. no big rush now no racing going on here in Md or up at blue diamond just fooling around with the car in off season to learn the car since i sold my mtx4r will be stocking up on parts soon

getting thing ready for the spring see you at bd
Old 11-30-2011, 02:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default V10 diffs

Does anyone have problems with the diffs leaking.
I can't get them to stop. I replaced the gaskets and used longer screws to
make sure they are tight. I even glued the pieces together but they keep leaking especially the rear.

Thanks
Vasilis
Old 11-30-2011, 05:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Vasilis
make sure they are tight. I even glued the pieces together but they keep leaking especially the rear.

Thanks
Vasilis
What size screws did you switch to? The standard is 2x6. I went to a 2x8. I have found that if you over tighten the diff cover it deforms and then it leaks no matter what you do. I have just started to replace the diff housing every 2rebuilds or so. Also after you build the diff you can place a thin line of CA on the outside of the housing right on the portion of the seal that you can see. Also always replace the seal each time you do a rebuild.

It is funny you brought this up as I just replaced my diff housing last night.
Old 11-30-2011, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello guys,

It seems that 2012 season will be ride over the Shepherd Velox V10-Eleven year ... Chilean distributor made me a very interesting offer so im switching brands to Shepherd.

So, i need tips on building/spares/weak points ... so far i expect to have the car in 2-3 more weeks,

thanks for all !!
Old 11-30-2011, 08:50 AM
Tech Elite

Default RTV Gasket maker

Originally Posted by Vasilis

Thanks
Vasilis
I use this:
Attached Thumbnails Team Shepherd America-rtv-gasket.jpg  
Old 11-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by YBSLOW
I use this:
do you use this in conjunction with the diff seal?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 AM
Tech Elite

do you use this in conjunction with the diff seal?
I have before, but you dont need to. I just put a thin bead around the inside edge of the flange on the diff cover and let it set up for about an hour while the diff fluid settles in the other half. Then just screw together like normal. I usuallu ise a q-tip to make sure it stays off the shim and bevel gear completely. Then leave the assembled diff stand upright on the bench overnight before installing it, Kind of a pain, but no leaks. I usually buid 3 front diffs and two rear diffs at the same time and they don't even leak in the tool box.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

I run Serpent diffs(733TE). Make sure you did not overfill the diff. If the diff becomes pressurized from over filling it will leak. Does it leak until empty is the question???

Pass you soon...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.