GT 1/8 Scale Rules and Set-Up Information

Old 06-16-2011, 10:40 PM
Tech Regular

I agree, very nice look.

Jeff
Old 06-17-2011, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

[QUOTE=Jspeed;9266565]Here's the body rule for our 2011 US GT Nationals & 2012 GT World Championships:

Body:
Any commercially available “GT” racecar style/type body, must look like a car that could actually be driven on the street with a passenger in real life or 1:1.

watching speed channel right at GT racing and i don"t see a passenger in their cars
Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=bobbyblaze;9267773]
Originally Posted by Jspeed
Here's the body rule for our 2011 US GT Nationals & 2012 GT World Championships:

Body:
Any commercially available “GT” racecar style/type body, must look like a car that could actually be driven on the street with a passenger in real life or 1:1.

watching speed channel right at GT racing and i don"t see a passenger in their cars
I think what the rule means... "It must be a two seater" and May not be a "prototype" style body..
Old 06-17-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Elite

Actually you're reading the rule the correct way.

That part of our body rule is written so that bodies with narrow single-seater width cockpits are not legal at our events.

This rule accepts the concept that our GT cars should look like something that could be street driven in real life with a passenger.

Our event rules were written long before the production of our Warrior bodies began and the width of it's roofline reflect the rule concept.

As a matter of fact, if maintaining a street type car appearance wasn't important for our GT class, we would have designed a body with a narrow bulllet cockpit for even greater aerodynamics, as seen with some European Rally Game bodies.

Knowing that wouldn't be good for the concept of GT class racing, we were responsible enough not to make such a body design.

Hope that clarifies any question about what types of GT bodies are legal and what is not, at our GT Only racing events.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Here's the body rule for our 2011 US GT Nationals & 2012 GT World Championships in full again:

Body:

The engine’s cooling head fins can not be exposed from top or sides of body.

Rear wing and/or spoiler/flap must be attached to the actual body. (No chassis mounted or “Buggy/Truggy” type wing mounts)

Last edited by Jspeed; 06-17-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: add ISI GT rules again.
Old 06-18-2011, 03:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default set up for inferno gt2

Can someone email a setup for a inferno gt2 to [email protected]
Old 06-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Clete you have PM

FNG
Old 06-21-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Team Alpha R/C you have a PM!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Old 06-27-2011, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I'd like to toss this out to this group and get some feedback.

Just finished the Byrons race in Joliet this weekend and we had 21 GT cars running, which was very cool.

Bodies seemed to be pretty even between the Warrior and Proto-Form with a few other tossed in. All seemed to work well, Warrior maybe a llittle better on the sweeper off the straight.

Tires (please no flames or other such non-sense here) there were a lot of Ipanema's, some sweeps and a few others around. These guys really have the Ipanema's worked out, but the Sweeps did well and one of the fastest guys I believe was running Alpha tires. However, the key was setting the chassis for the tires. I know 2nd place was on Ipanemas and he normally run Sweeps, made a change to the wide rears and it seemed to work. Car running 4th was on my loaned out 45's and was running stong until 2 speed or clutch went out. So pick what works on your car, is supported by the track or you get the best deal on ....... come on guys make me a deal (Jeff, the Ipanema's were on my car and they did work, but the chassis is set up for more flex in the tires, and since engines were causing me much trouble, did not re-work the chassis)

Engines. Prior to race, the agreement was an off road based motor, not modified. Which I think most everyone was running, but it was very obvious that some had MUCH MORE MOTOR ... they could make up 1/3 of the straight on each lap. Sometimes the speed did not equal a fast lap, but it sure makes you wonder. In the Heart of America series and I believe a few others, they run a limited motor option and others have a $200 engine claim rule. In talking with Bassman, they are running an open engine so mod engines are what they run. For local racing this all makes sense.

Now this is where we need to "Help" ROAR come up with rules as to what the class should be when we travel. The chassis (other than the kick up) seems to be good. Drive line is good (no Centax or belt drives or spring adjusted diffs). Tires just need to set max / min dimensions, but also don't want 1 run tires. In keeping with the current tire trends, what sause or if it even should be allowed.

So with the engine, I do not think cheap motors are really cheap in the long run, but we don't need the same engine that are being run in 1/8 4wd Open either. No need to buy a new one every season. But having a engine that tunes well, lasts and good power will make any new (or even a few old guys) happy and enjoy the sport. So maybe limit the block to off road engines, limit the number of ports, displacement and I would say between .21 and .28 and have an approved list with that motor good for 3 years, and then take it off 2 years after it is out of production.

As to the classes, there are always racers who want to go faster ..... it's why we call it racing ..... But I personally would like only one class. If you want faster step up to 1/8 4wd Open and have at it ..... but like I said it is just me. This class has the option to be our version of "Slash" as the cars are tough as nails and look fun out racing. If it draws factory drivers, they should run a "Pro" class just to keep the hobbiest involved and they then can compair thier times to fast guys.

I would like to get ROAR involved so when the 2012 rules out, the GT class is included, maybe even offer this class as an exhibition class at this years Nationals.

So ...... Thoughts

Last edited by Grenade10; 06-27-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

Mark,

The 1st thing you have to understand is the fast guys that race with Ipanema Slicks will not attend any race that won't allow them to be used on their GT cars.

Glad you had fun at the Byron's Fuels race, hope you make it to the 2011 Ipanema US GT Nationals in October; where any rubber tire is allowed.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up I Like What I Hear

Grenade,

I Like what I am hearing.
My two sense is this...
1. A motor rule needs to be set... I am not a expert on motors and rather leave this up to some educated people. But my Novarossi .21 has been great and it was under $200 dollars, easy to tune and decent power.
2. I want to see a weight rule...One of our local guys spent a pile of money on his car trying to shave some weight....I hear that this quest can get pretty spendy... Let's make a weight rule to keep cost down so the budget racer has a fun class with tight racing... Like you said, the guys that really want to go fast can drive a 1/8 open, flying dustpan
Old 06-27-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Elite

Mike Lyday ran the Werks B5 with Werks 2013 Pipe. Engine cost is $200.
He also set the TQ & WON it ALL with his Ipanema Warrior body and Ipanema Slicks.

We're working on the equipment list, so everyone knows who ran what and who did what with them.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:32 AM
Tech Regular

Here in Puerto Rico we have run mainly Ipanema rules with the exception that no one runs in the spec class.
Tires: I have tride many tires and they basically are all similar. The set-up is the major factor and don't think tht having one tire over the other is a marked advantage. If you are slow, you won't all of the sudden be faster because of the tires only. Practice and dedication to set-up are the biggest factors.
Motors:
I understand running a certain motor or certain (approved) motors for the spec class. But in open we run all kinds from 1/8 onroad to 1/8 offroad (.21-.28) We've found that it doesn't make that big a diff with these heavey cars. Our qualify times have been close w/ the diff motors at our track (mainly mine: running .28 ofna force vs. .21 onroad beleive it or not). Again set-up and adjusting driving style to each engine is the big factor.

So my point is that these cars can't be made to run like the 1/8 onroad due to the fact these cars are buggy based. There isn't a miracle motor or tire to give you an advantage above the (motors) limited in the spec class. I wouldn't worry so much about being at a disadvantage unless you are not familiar with your car. In that case I believe practice is the biggest factor- learning to drive and set-up motors.

Those are my 2 cents
Havy
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Clete Landefeld
Grenade,

I Like what I am hearing.
My two sense is this...
1. A motor rule needs to be set... I am not a expert on motors and rather leave this up to some educated people. But my Novarossi .21 has been great and it was under $200 dollars, easy to tune and decent power.
2. I want to see a weight rule...One of our local guys spent a pile of money on his car trying to shave some weight....I hear that this quest can get pretty spendy... Let's make a weight rule to keep cost down so the budget racer has a fun class with tight racing... Like you said, the guys that really want to go fast can drive a 1/8 open, flying dustpan
Well, if you make a $200 engine rule, it is no longer an "Open" class, it is now a "Spec" class. The same holds true with weight limits, you then move it from an open to spec which some may not like.

The rules for the races I attended last year, sponsored by Ipanema, pretty much covered what you are now requesting. The Spec Class engines were all $200 or under but at the time the list was made, it was determined to limit the number of engines as to not have 4 dozen engines to have to tech. This, from what I understand, is being changed from the engine list to the $200 rule. The Open Class was open to any .21 to .28 engine, regardless of onroad or offroad. This way, any 8th scale racer that was interested in jumping into this class could do so without having to buy another engine (most of them have several engines in reserve anyway). As we learned last year, having two classes (Open & Spec) worked fine (Free-spenders gravitated to Open, budget folks stayed Spec).

The car weight thing has been discussed before. All of the cars are over 7 lbs and there is only so much you can do outside of changing the chassis to get it down to less than 7 lbs without compromising something. The Ipanema race in October will have weight limit rules for all the classes run.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jspeed
Mark,

The 1st thing you have to understand is the fast guys that race with Ipanema Slicks will not attend any race that won't allow them to be used on their GT cars.

Glad you had fun at the Byron's Fuels race, hope you make it to the 2011 Ipanema US GT Nationals in October; where any rubber tire is allowed.
I agree, that unless it is a spec tire race, and you know that in advance any tire that is commercially available should be able to be run. The one post re-stated exactly what I said and felt ....... any tire will work with the RIGHT set up and driving style. I have both Ipanema and Sweep tires in my bag and I don't plan on changing that thought process.

Mikes car was dialed ..... corner marshalled his race all weekend, and the car was smooth into, through and out of the corners ..... good speed. My car was turning 20.00 flats but never did finish a full qualifier, was on pace up to 8/9min to run a fast 29 lap run or slow 30 lap run and I had a Fource .28 in it until it ate the piston and sleeve. Motor for the race was a Spec 1 Axial, but would not tune as my pit guy said, it's like an old electric car with a wiper controller. You have off, Slow and Full in ..... Hard to drive.

Forgot about the weight ..... I drive a TANK!!! LOL!!! but yes keep the carbon fiber chassis out, ultra titanium parts ..... $'s that does not make the racing any fun for anyone .... we just spend more money.
We'll have to see about the October race, as I am planning on going to the ROAR nationals in September, and will start to push and see if we can get this as an exhibition class.

Mark

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.