R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   traction compound (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/508908-traction-compound.html)

5crossyourlip 05-01-2011 01:56 PM

traction compound

what is the best tire traction compound for foam tires?

b_esser 05-02-2011 11:56 AM

Are you kidding?

With all the tire traction compound fiasco at the Worlds in Homestead, I would hope that you would stay away from it. If the track that you race on is properly prepped with either sugar water or even VHT you shouldn't need anything. Since 1/8th scale tires wear quite quickly, whatever additive you try would have to soak waaaaaay longer than you think. Most of what you see is "topical" so it won't last. I believe most tracks frown on additives anyway so I think you'd be sorry if you got caught:cry:

Lilja 05-02-2011 12:12 PM

I might be terribly wrong here since Im sort of new to the onroad scene but, as foam tires wear down fairly fast one would assume that the additive wouldnt stay on for more than a few minutes. Feels like that would make the car very inconsistent.

chromie 05-02-2011 12:13 PM

Ummm, what is the best compound? :D

Serzoni 05-02-2011 01:51 PM

For foams on pavement? I'd say black can Paragon or Coppertone spf30 :cool::lol:

fulcrum2 05-03-2011 01:29 AM

Guys, let's look at this topic a little closer:

-If saucing would not work, the pro's would not do it (or try to do it like during the worlds)

-Swauger said a sauced set of tyres results in 0.4s faster lap times. That's a world of difference!

-It depends of how long you soak the tyres - Maybe submerge them in the sauce and let them sit overnight? Who knows...

-I tried to sauce a set of 8th scale tyres for 20mins like I used to do on my electric car. This does not help at all. The sauce will not penetrate deep enough to last longer then 3 Laps and the tyre will be greasy and have a tendency to pick up dust...

-I think, if you really want to use sauce, it takes a lot of trial and error efforts to learn the tricks of the trade...

Anyone wants to discuss further?

Jay7 05-03-2011 09:28 AM

I dont understand, why would you need to sauce foam tires? Foam tires from the right company already stick pretty well. If you have tractions issues work on your setup. I'm pretty new to 1/8 scale racing and my mrx4 hooks pretty well on a dusty track. I'm sure it is also considered cheating even at a club race level so why bother? If you win cause you had your tires sauced do you really think you won at the end of the day?

fulcrum2 05-03-2011 10:31 AM

In Europe some countrys already allow to use sauce in official events. The problem is when you race, every performance advantage counts. Yes, foam tyres stick well, but sauced ones (if done right) stick even better and this can give you the edge.

wingracer 05-03-2011 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Jay7 (Post 9055524)
I'm sure it is also considered cheating even at a club race level so why bother? If you win cause you had your tires sauced do you really think you won at the end of the day?

Most places yes but not everywhere.

rjr 05-03-2011 02:08 PM

It will be a sad day for 1/8 on-road if/when "saucing" becomes the norm. In the past, the rulebooks specifically forbade the use of tire additives. Whether these rules were intentionally or mistakenly left out of newer rulebooks, I don't know.

Riketsu 05-03-2011 09:17 PM

Why are we discussing if its legal, illegal or even frowned upon??

He asked a direct question of what is the best brand/model of foam tire additive...

Who cares (aside from where he will be racing), if he's cheating or if its allowed on his track??

Roelof 05-03-2011 09:37 PM

It shouldn't be promoted is my opinion. At most places it is illigal and I do think people have to get more into the car setup than only getting grip out of additives.

robk 05-03-2011 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by fulcrum2 (Post 9053849)
-It depends of how long you soak the tyres - Maybe submerge them in the sauce and let them sit overnight? Who knows...

-I tried to sauce a set of 8th scale tyres for 20mins like I used to do on my electric car. This does not help at all. The sauce will not penetrate deep enough to last longer then 3 Laps and the tyre will be greasy and have a tendency to pick up dust...

You're getting close. Sounds like you need a way to force the sauce down into the tire, like a vacuum. :sneaky:

gashuffer 05-04-2011 03:36 AM

Rumor has it those pro's keep those sauced tires in a bag for month if not longer.

Viva Los Sauce!!!

latemodel13 05-04-2011 05:54 AM

Tire treatment

This is a great way to treat tires. True the tires to size first. I use Trinity tire tweak first and rub it in with your fingers . A blowdryer will help here as a little heat helps it penetrate . After you treat them with the tire tweak put a coat of Paragon black can on them. Put them in a ziplock bag for about a week and they will be sticky when you pull them out. They will definitly be faster and will not go away after a few laps.