Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

What does the "Tire Tweak" do?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)
Default Tweak

It must react with the foam to make it sticky. I think it's some kind of oil. Maybe someone from Trinity will get on here and tell us what it is.
Old 05-04-2011, 07:16 AM
Tech Initiate

Equal parts of "Tire Tweak" and "Buggy Grip" make a good compound too. Many guys use this outdoors in my neck of the woods.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I thought that this is the "Nitro Onroad" thread, not the "Electric Onroad" thread. All jokes and sarcasm aside, "saucing tires" to me is for electric carpet onroad and 12th scale on asphalt that has limited traction. For nitro, just go with a softer shore and adjust your driving style a little.

I have been racing foam tire asphalt for 10+ years in both 200mm and recently 8th scale Lola-body and have never heard of guys "saucing tires" until this past 8th scale Worlds in Homestead. To me, this "saucing" thing is a slippery slope I don't think we want to slide down. It is hard enough getting racers to attend races on all levels to begin with. In my opinion, this is just another thing that will drive a few more racers to offroad (the darkside of the racing force).
Old 05-04-2011, 09:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

My experience is that saucing foam tires in fuel onroad racing is mostly unnecessary. We race on pavement that has been treated by VHT or other concoctions (sp) that are prepared and applied by the host track. The tires actually come off the track with a softness and stickyness that resembles a sauced tire. This is from the traction added to the track and the oil in the fuel that falls from the cars exhaust to the racing surface. Racing castor seems to have the most effect.

Compare that to an IFMAR event where the rules prevent traction compounds from being added to the racing surface. The traction builds on these tracks for a long time, only coming from the tires running on that surface and the oil from the car's exhaust. Saucing tires will help a lot in this scenario.

The racing host in America tends to use the traction compound spraying technique for a couple reasons. It makes the traction build more quickly, an important factor on temporary tracks. There aren't very many temporary tracks in other countries. Then it also spreads out the traction across the width of the track so the racing line is wider, helpfull for the less skilled driver. This enhances the racing experience. Saucing tires does not enhance the racing so much in this scenario.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

just because you dont see it being used dosent mean its not a few years back in off road i use to soak my tires in simple green for a couple days before a race day it helped a lot i was not the only one and did not let it be known what i was doing i would have a set of tires per pack on road is the same way you can get many different compounds some take longer to work than others the longer time it takes to cure the longer run time you can get and yes even in 1/8 scale on road it can make a big difference you can have a awesome set up and "sauced tires" will make it even a better set up i have used trinity, jack the ripper by corally and paregon they have a couple different ones it makes a diffence on what brand tires you use as for what additive to use i mostly run grp tires and would soak them over night in a zip lock bag again one set per run i would show up with about 10 to 12 set ready to run my last two kits i ran were a 960 08 and a 966
Old 05-04-2011, 10:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JLock
I thought that this is the "Nitro Onroad" thread, not the "Electric Onroad" thread. All jokes and sarcasm aside, "saucing tires" to me is for electric carpet onroad and 12th scale on asphalt that has limited traction. For nitro, just go with a softer shore and adjust your driving style a little.

I have been racing foam tire asphalt for 10+ years in both 200mm and recently 8th scale Lola-body and have never heard of guys "saucing tires" until this past 8th scale Worlds in Homestead..
+1