- My thanks as well. I do have a rear right coning problem!
- Thanks for the advice on the shocks.
The car is built per the kit contents and setup sheet - plus, I was strongly advised to build the car per the setup sheet. As a beginner, ultimately, this was good advice as it is a good starting setup for the car.
With the current setup I'm using, I have a few troublespots on the track, but if I follow a certain racing line and slow down in certain sections, I can make it around the track okay. I'm sure I could shave another 5 seconds off my lap times once I fix things. I think I just need to adjust a few things and the understeer problem will go away. Here is the plan:
1. Adjust the track width back to 200mm. The new tires I ran last weekend shortened the track width to 197mm. Because I didn't know better to adjust the steering throw the first time I raced, the front shock end caps got all scraped up, so I adjusted it after putting on the new tires. As a result of the 197mm track width, the tires were closer to the steering endcap than they should have been, which caused me to ultimately over adjust the steering throw. Once I go back to 200mm, it will give me the clearance so that I can actually turn more.
2. After disassemblying the front right suspension (I broke the top arm and split the front hub in two at the drive shaft - more below) and taking off the front bumper, I discovered that the right front set screw for the front stabilizer was set to far down, practially locking down the front right. As a result, there was very little movement of the right front suspension arm - which would explain why I started scraping off the paint inside the right front fender! (Ah ha!) I have no clue how the set screw got into this position, as I guarantee I adjusted it properly and checked it out when building the car. My thinking as I'm writing this, is that when I made right hand turns (http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...87#post2195687
), I had very poor traction on the front right tire!
Let me know if you guys think otherwise!
With this new information (#2), it's possible that changing the rear diff oil and going from 35 shore tires to 37 shore tires was the right choice. I was way too lose the first time out and as a beginner, oversteer (front one-way, rear diff) can be a real problem! I think I'm close given the track conditions and course layout, which changes slightly each time we race. Because of the race day time constraints, I really need to make some smart choices when making adjustments. If I had a tuning day, I could try everything everyone is recommending, but I can really only make a few minor adjustments on race day, run a few laps and then assess the impact of the changes. Because I'm still new a this, driving a slightly new course, assessing changes and deciding what to adjust next is proving to be quite challenging. Tack on a slipping clutch and engine tuning and I've got my hands full. I know that things will get better over time, but right now - it's kinda stressful!
Questions: I need to adjust the camber if I want to address the right rear coning problem. I've been reading that going to more negative rear camber will cause understeer. If I do fixes #1 and #2, I don't want to end up with another understeering problem! Can I just adjust the camber without adjusting the toe in or do I need to do both? Does adjusting the rear toe in offset the camber adjustment?? Thanks!
P.S. How I smashed the front right end:
So here I was, sitting pretty in 1st place. 2nd place started late, but he is a very experienced driver breaking in a new car. On the last lap, he caught up to me at the start of the straightaway. I tried to out race him (BIG MISTAKE), but braked too late at the end of the straightaway before the sweeping turn and hit the PVC race barrier pretty hard, taking out the front right.
I finished the rest of the lap on 3 wheels
and the bottom bumper bracket (which I shaved down to the point of having to replace it), but had enough of a lead to finished 2nd for race.
The silver lining in all of this, was that I discovered the front stabilizer problem!!!!