Community
Wiki Posts
Search

excessive blue smoke from gs21 engine

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default excessive blue smoke from gs21 engine

hey guys can some one try help me here i cant remember if excessive blue smoke means too rich or to lean mix ? looked on google and cant find the answer. i have tried to play with the top end needle but it ether stalled or started bringing way too much petrol through .
cheers all
Old 08-13-2011, 05:27 PM
Tech Initiate

Is that a Kyosho Motor ????
Old 08-13-2011, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Originally Posted by creaven
hey guys can some one try help me here i cant remember if excessive blue smoke means too rich or to lean mix ? looked on google and cant find the answer. i have tried to play with the top end needle but it ether stalled or started bringing way too much petrol through .
cheers all
If your getting a ton of smoke, it usually means your running rich. However, if it's not hurting performance, don't mess with it. Running a little rich isnt a bad thing.

Check out squirell's Tuning video's on youtube, that will give you a good starting point..... Youtube.com/how to tune a nitro engine

Last edited by dug44; 08-13-2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Remembered a good video
Old 08-13-2011, 05:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Yep rich is always safe...
Old 08-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Tech Elite

Default You can harm an engine running too rich!

cheers all
If you tilt the car and excessive oil and fuel pours out of the exhaust pipe then it is too rich and it can harm your engine as compressing a liquid rich mixture can harm your crankshaft, bearings and connecting rod.

If you remove the glow plug, crank the engine and fuel sprays out heavier than a fine mist, then put the plug back in, turn the TOP needle clockwise in 1/4 turn increments until you feel the engine improves in performance and less fuel exhausts, then it's a matter of very minor adjustments. The top needle is the primary valve for fuel flow.

If your engine runs very fast at top speed with little smoke, this may be a IDLE mixture issue or the "bottom" needle and isnt as bad but still can cause problems. The screw/valve is usually at inline with your carburettor cylinder either front or rear. This valve in most cases is directly related to the idle screw and is more difficult to tune.

If it's just an old engine and blowing smoke without excessive fuel / air mixture richness then it's ok, leave it as is.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Excessive blue smoke, you are running rich.1/8 turn of HSN to lean it out at a time. Approximately half a second or less smoke and the clear you want it.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:01 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks all . yes i was running too rich . the smoke was when it was at full throttel done a few tweeks on the carb setting and now there is a thin blue line of smoke as the engine should thanks all
Old 08-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Tech Rookie

ok so i though i had sorted it but i have noticed in idle it is spitting out excess fuel from the exhaust also if i have the h.e.n set fully closed it will still start and run !!! but is throwing fuel out for fun . if i open it up to 2 1/2 turns the idle speed goes through the roof . is this the bottom end needle that needs tuning . or is the best thing to do set top end to 3 turns open from closed the close the bottom end and 1/2 open as people say they are the most common settings ?
Old 08-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

W/engine running at idle. Turn the LSN CW slowly. Idle speed will start to increase. Then turn LSN CCW when the idle speed decrease leave it there. Yout thottle air gap should be 1mm, or thickness of a credit card.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

ok so i though i had sorted it but i have noticed in idle it is spitting out excess fuel from the exhaust also if i have the h.e.n set fully closed it will still start and run !!! but is throwing fuel out for fun . if i open it up to 2 1/2 turns the idle speed goes through the roof . is this the bottom end needle that needs tuning . or is the best thing to do set top end to 3 turns open from closed the close the bottom end and 1/2 open as people say they are the most common settings ?
Use 2.5 turns and reduce idle.. I did mention it could be the bottom. I own an Inferno and it was a difficult puppy to run in and tune the settings from factory

If your engine over runs hi rpm when you've cleared the crank of fuel after revving it out at full throttle then the idle gap is still too large and you need to lean the bottom needle and reduce the idle until she revs out and drops in idle nicely. It should have a healthy puff of smoke after idling for a few seconds.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Tech Rookie

going to give it a try later on ! glow plugs back on charge and my friend is coming up to have a look at them and then poss go to some big open space to give them all a good run
Old 08-15-2011, 11:59 AM
Tech Rookie

engine now running perfect ! was the idle screw hsn and lsn lol bit of playing about with another pair of hands to help and now running sweet as not rich or too lean nice constant thin stream of very light blue smoke ! and power is perfect !
Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

engine now running perfect ! was the idle screw hsn and lsn lol bit of playing about with another pair of hands to help and now running sweet as not rich or too lean nice constant thin stream of very light blue smoke ! and power is perfect !
Even stream of smoke ok when you're bashing, constant skywriting. lol!!! From idle to WOT 1/2 sec of smoke runnin' real well!! have fun!!
Old 08-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Tech Rookie

i have been iv tweeked the front and back breaking along with the power distribution handels like a dream and power slides for fun