Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need help with traxxas 4 tec

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Tech Initiate

Default need help with traxxas 4 tec

i got this car not long ago and it ran perfectly, until i crashed it. now it will start up, and runs great for about 2 minutes, then i hear a click and the motor just dies. it will not start again after that, but after about 10 minutes it will start again. any ideas as to what might be going on? i dont think its over heating, and it is tuned well. it runs very strong when it does run. please let me know what you guys think. thanks alot!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Tech Initiate

did you check your batteries? for the transmitter and reciever. actualy my advise doesnt make sense, sorry.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Need a little more info...when it 'clicks', does the engine sputter then dies or does it quit suddenly? Does it lose power just before it dies? Need to know a little bit more of the symptoms...
Old 08-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Tech Initiate

no it doesnt lose power, its running great then you hear a click and the motor dies instantly, and the car will coast to a stop. no sputtering at all. hope this is enough info for you. thansk for the help.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Tech Initiate

i was reading around, could this be cause by a bent crank shaft?
Old 08-30-2004, 12:53 AM
Tech Master

It doesn't sound like a bent crank. I could be your clutch or 2 speed making it happen. Sounds like somthing is catching, making the clicking sound, which is stopping the engine. You are going to have to start takng apart you car, starting with the 2 speed, next clutch. Focus on the drive train. Also examine your engine. Maybe your pull start too, if you have one. Somthing has bent, broken or shifted from your crash. You just need to search until you find it.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:21 AM
Tech Addict

Sounds like a bad main bearing in your motor, worn crankshaft or piece of metal inside your motor. Feel the flywheel inside your motor, it should turn over smoothly, pull out the glowplug and look for something metal inside, then take the engine out of the chassis, and pull out the backplate and if I'm right you'll see tiny bearing balls, or worn out bushing material loose in the case. My guess is your bearing or connecting rod failed when you hit something and the balls came loose.

This sound is very familar with people who racing and they see their car flame out. They can restart it, get back onto the backstretch and flameout again. Your motor is most likely needs a new conrod or mainbearing. Do not run it again till you veryify this by dissassembling it or else you may completely damage the motor.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks so much for your help guys, ill pull the motor apart and check everythig you said. if that doesnt fix it i expect you guys to buy me a new one ok!!
Old 09-01-2004, 12:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

If all else fells... Try this site for help for your N4Tec... Also, are you aware that Traxxas backs there motors for 3 yrs... They do... Go to the link and I'm sure someone there or the Mod there can point you in the right direction if need be...

RC_Alan

http://monster.traxxas.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=44
Old 09-01-2004, 06:15 AM
Tech Addict

i would not tell Traxxas that you disassembled the motor if you try to get a replacement-that may void warranty. sometimes thats all a manufacturer needs to reject warranty. ..."whats that you say? you took the engine apart? well i am terribly sorry, but we will not be able to honor your request. have a nice day and thank you for calling Traxxas" i have never dealt with Traxxas on that level, but you have to carefull about things like that.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Tech Initiate

i havent pulled it apart yet, i was going to tonight. i will probably check into warranty repair though first. thansk alot!!!