Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Nitro car help >

Nitro car help

Nitro car help

Old 08-31-2004, 07:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Nitro car help

Hey People

I have problems with my nitro car, and was hoping some of you could help?? Here goes.

I recently bought a Tamiya 1/10 scale car, with a FS12-SS single speed engine, it has a 4WD layout.
Recently I tried to convert it to rear wheel drive by taking the shaft which leads to the front wheels making them turn, resulting in only the rear wheels spinning, all was ready to go, started the car up and nothing, didnt even move, just revved on the spot as i went to accelerate.
Put the shaft back in to bring it back to 4WD, moved the a wheel and everything seemed to move ok and looked set to go as a 4WD again, all was ready to go, started the car up and idle was good, went to accelerate and the engine would cut out.

I have tried playing with fuel mixture and throttle but to no avail.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me please.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default ...

Did you adjust the low end needle too? If nothings binding in the drive train, it should just be an engine adjustment.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Also, when you playing with the highend/lowend needles, make sure you adjust them with one-hour increments instead of 1/4 turns to 1 full turn. It'll be alot easier for you to tune you nitro engine with small adjustments rather then large adjustments. Goodluck.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:33 PM
mav
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default clutch spring

check yr clutch spring too. if its broken, the clutch will engage too soon causing the engine to bog down and cut off.

check yr tank and tubes for leak as well, may not have sufficient pressure/fuel going to the carb when you full throttle.

when in doubt, tune engine slightly on rich side to test again.

good luck....
Old 09-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by Roger
Also, when you playing with the highend/lowend needles, make sure you adjust them with one-hour increments instead of 1/4 turns to 1 full turn. It'll be alot easier for you to tune you nitro engine with small adjustments rather then large adjustments. Goodluck.
REALLY REALLY AGREE with that...

learn that 5mins turn at a time very important LAST WEEK... i did learn Engine tuning myself last week..... it was worth a try!!!!!!

turn the needles a little bit.... 5 mins turn.

mop