R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   I need Help with fuel tank (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/490856-i-need-help-fuel-tank.html)

GrumpyStud 03-10-2011 02:53 PM

I need Help with fuel tank

How's the best way to fix my cracked fuel tank:mad:.. I would by a new one, but they don't make the part anymore. Its for a trinity reflex.
Thanks

brc358 03-10-2011 03:11 PM

fuel tank

Originally Posted by GrumpyStud (Post 8780894)
How's the best way to fix my cracked fuel tank:mad:.. I would by a new one, but they don't make the part anymore. Its for a trinity reflex.
Thanks

I have heard that some guys have actually slowly melted the tank where it is leaking.
Drain all the fuel, rinse with water to get any fumes out, and use either a low voltage solder gun, or use a solder iron, but these get very hot.
Slowly run the tip of the solder gun over the leak area until it melts together.

One of my older cars had the tank leaking real bad, I was in the same position, no new tanks could be located. This tank is for a much larger scale, so I had more room to work with, so I removed the tank, scuffed it with 80 grit sand paper, and used a 2 part epoxy glue to seal it back up. So far, after almost 2 years, the tank has not leaked after the repair.May not be the best looking tank, but after I sanded the epoxy smooth after it dried, it is sure better than it was before.

DJ_Shakespear 03-10-2011 09:24 PM

I would try and bind/melt the crack - I tried using hot glue, fell off on the first run. epoxies, lasted for a long time but eventually cracked off.
Once I melted it using a soldering iron, it never leaked again. Looked ugly, but it worked!

Geezatec 03-11-2011 10:31 AM

Melting I really dont advise. Scuffing surface, probablt the best bet. Hot glue, wouldnt advise either. Hot glue dont bind especially near heat. Depending on location of crack I'd still use epoxy, just use patience. Maybe after epoxy, if you can find shink wrap large enough, wrap the tank with it. Dont know if that will work. Just a brain storm.

Good Luck!!!

Many moons ago I read Trinty Reflex was the saME MODel of Kyosho VVV Mabe look into that.

wingracer 03-11-2011 10:52 AM

I repaired a very small hole with epoxy once. Worked very well. It's worth a shot on a large crack.

If that doesn't work, I've always wanted to try a plastic welder. Don't know if it would work or not but it is worth a shot.

wingracer 03-11-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Geezatec (Post 8785417)
Many moons ago I read Trinty Reflex was the saME MODel of Kyosho VVV Mabe look into that.

Many of the parts were interchangeable with one of the old Kyoshos, I think either the original V-one-R or V-one-S. When he posted a thread a while back looking for a new tank I did some digging and nothing I could find from Kyosho was quite the same. Looks like it was a specific tank.

per4m28 03-12-2011 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by wingracer (Post 8785500)
I repaired a very small hole with epoxy once. Worked very well. It's worth a shot on a large crack.

If that doesn't work, I've always wanted to try a plastic welder. Don't know if it would work or not but it is worth a shot.

Plastic welders are good but it takes a little practice to get used to putting a nice bead and need to v out the crack for good penetration for it to bond properly and there are special plastic rods of different plastics. There are good 2 part plastic epoxies out there for this application for last resort.

blis 03-12-2011 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by per4m28 (Post 8790754)
Plastic welders are good but it takes a little practice to get used to putting a nice bead and need to v out the crack for good penetration for it to bond properly and there are special plastic rods of different plastics. There are good 2 part plastic epoxies out there for this application for last resort.

Try sikoflex and test it with fuel first and leave overnight to see if adverse, if not try silicon

or

Buy a different tank that's similar.

and

I doubt plastic soldering will help, it will just contract into a larger hole and you have to add matter as well.

Serzoni 03-14-2011 10:56 AM

It's been a few years, but this SHOULD be the correct tank-

http://www.the-border.com/product.ph...cat=389&page=2

GrumpyStud 03-14-2011 08:16 PM

wow that is the tank!!!! tanks so much I'm going to order it right now

wingracer 03-14-2011 09:36 PM

Ah, so it is an RR. I knew it wasn't an RRR so figured it would be an r or an s. Never even thought to try an RR.