Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HPI Gasket problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Default HPI Gasket problems

I have been through 3 exhaust gaskets in one month on my .12 ss engine. I even went to auto zone and bought a gasket kit and cut out my own and used gasket sealer and it still blew off. Im not over tighting. I have a THS racing exhaust.

Anyone have a solution for this?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:32 PM
Tech Addict

That's incredibly strange!!
The only thing I can say is just to make sure you are tightening it up nice and snuggly - make sure you start loosely on both ends until they meet up with the engine block, then slowly tighten both sides until they are tight.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default gasket

Originally Posted by RCelik
I have been through 3 exhaust gaskets in one month on my .12 ss engine. I even went to auto zone and bought a gasket kit and cut out my own and used gasket sealer and it still blew off. Im not over tighting. I have a THS racing exhaust.

Anyone have a solution for this?
Make sure you are using the correct gasket
For example, a Pico exhaust gasket although it looks like it will work, it will not work on a Novarossi based engine
Call Sam at Kamikazie Toys and Hobbies in Cerritos Ca, and tell Sam what engine, exhaust you have and he can make sure you have the correct gaskets
Old 03-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by brc358
Make sure you are using the correct gasket
For example, a Pico exhaust gasket although it looks like it will work, it will not work on a Novarossi based engine
Call Sam at Kamikazie Toys and Hobbies in Cerritos Ca, and tell Sam what engine, exhaust you have and he can make sure you have the correct gaskets
Bill, he's talking about a side exaust motor
Old 03-07-2011, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default HPI

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Bill, he's talking about a side exaust motor
Yeah, I realized that after I posted.
Guess the hint was when he said he made his own gasket, kinda difficult to do if its a rubber gasket.
<damn alzhiemers again>
Old 04-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Cool HPI Gasket problem

To solve your problem, you have a warped manifold! I have had the same problems with larger cc engines like for the baja's. Wwhat you have to do is on the masnifold itself take a fine flat file and file the manifold until you get a nice clean polished surface across the whole gasket surface and do the samefor the cylinder side where the manifold bolts to make sure you tear down the engine so you can clean it up from all the metal fillings so you dont blow the motor but this will solve your problem.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:41 AM
Tech Apprentice

i used to go through alot of gaskets with the .15 in my rs4 also. so i tightened it as much, and evenly, as possible. i noticed that once the motor was at running temp, it was a little loose from the expansion so i tightened it even more while at running temp and i have yet to replace it. ive had it out about a dozen times since then. I just make sure that the screws stay tight during driving.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i was burning up gaskets left and right with the T3.0 in my RS4 for some reason (bolts werent coming loose, and both the exhaust port face and header flange both true'd). I just stopped using them. I use Loctite 518 anaerobic gasket maker now and have yet to have a problem again. Car now has a OS 18CVR in it, and still using the Loctite 518 with no problems.

Stuff works awesome. I also use it for sealing the engines Only downfall is you cant get it at local autoparts stores...it must be ordered, and its not the cheapest stuff out there...but stuff that works good usually isnt