Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Quick help for a nooby. Traxxas vs HPI

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 08:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Quick help for a nooby. Traxxas vs HPI

Ok so I am getting in to the R/c car world, and I have two options ahead of me.

For 400$ cdn I can have myself a brand new Traxxas 4-tec RTR.

Or

A guy I know is selling a hpi r40 with remote, motor and parts for 600$ cdn. His car is 1 year old. He said he clocked 0-60mph in 2 seconds. And it will hit a top speed of 75ish mph. He also said it has a turbo motor.

What should I do??

Thank you.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:50 AM
Tech Addict

the guy selling the hpi car,is his name pinocchio? no car hits 0-60 in 2 seconds and i dont think it goes 75mph either. if you are just looking for a parking lot basher go with the traxxas car.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:50 AM
Tech Regular

r40 but what engien does it have? also the r40 is oen of the top notch racign cars i just bought a serpent 71- and am spendin liek orover $1000 the r40 is a serpent 710 top of car jst with mro epalstic parts
Old 08-29-2004, 04:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Just found out it is a OS 12TR turbo, are they any good?

Thanks.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default Re: Traxxas vs HPI

In my opinion, O.S. makes good engines for off-road, but they dont quite cut it for on-road. On-road, your going to want a Novarossi NS12S3 (bout 259.99 street price), Rossi Black Pixy (bout 165-190), Mugen MT-12 (bout 170) or a Mugen X-12 which is basicly the NS12S3 but a new version of it. The OS TR is priced about 180-220, but trust me, I have seen them in action, and its nothing to be left without breath. I honestly dont like the R40, due to being very easy to break.

My car choice is the MTX-3 made by Mugen cuz its like a rock. But if your budget is limited, then you should get the Traxxas, just because the dude with the R-40 is bluffing you.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Well orginaly I just wanted a street basher, and for 400$ Cdn, the traxxas does the job. I am reading up on the traxxas and people say it can't turn for shit.

The guy I know is including: starter box , set of mags with tires , extra gears for top speed or take of , 2 clutch bills , body , soo much extra spare parts. baseclly if you buy my car even when you smash it you will dont need to buy anything.

What would be a good price to take the car off him for?
Old 08-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

4TEC- good for bashing and parking lot/neighborhood running.

R40-better than a 4TEC and upgrades can get you started well into club level competition.

Kyosho, Mugen & Serpent are definately intermidiate to advanced cars. You can learn with them but it's better to learn with something you can handle. But I can understand the "buy it once" principle as well.

Price? Well, it's worth what you are willing to pay for it.

Parts? Well, you when you think you have everything you need, you will wind up at the LHS!

What ever you get, make sure you have parts support or stand by for the postman/UPS guy!

Check out some RC magazines on line for comparison articles.

Good luck!

^5
Old 08-29-2004, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by sean
the guy selling the hpi car,is his name pinocchio? no car hits 0-60 in 2 seconds and i dont think it goes 75mph either. if you are just looking for a parking lot basher go with the traxxas car.
I'd have to agree with Sean on this one!

^5
Old 08-29-2004, 08:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Quick help for a nooby. Traxxas vs HPI

Originally posted by Passatvr6
He said he clocked 0-60mph in 2 seconds. And it will hit a top speed of 75ish mph. He also said it has a turbo motor.
Maybe in KPH but even then a stretch. The o.s tr-12 is a great engine and unless you racing at top levels it has more than enough power. I would pass on the 4-tec but that is just my opinion. you might want to check out the buy and sell section on rc tech thier might be a good deal there ( their is one in the Canadian r/c scene section as well for Canadians. I'm assuming your Canadian.)
Old 08-29-2004, 08:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you tom, and subman, and the others.

Is there anything I should look out for when buying used, I am decently experienced in rc planes, but the car world is from another end of the spectrum.

Also what should I offer the person $$ for his car. It's 1 year old as stated above.

And yes I live in Montreal.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Re: Re: Quick help for a nooby. Traxxas vs HPI

Originally posted by subman
Maybe in KPH but even then a stretch. The o.s tr-12 is a great engine and unless you racing at top levels it has more than enough power. I would pass on the 4-tec but that is just my opinion. you might want to check out the buy and sell section on rc tech thier might be a good deal there ( their is one in the Canadian r/c scene section as well for Canadians. I'm assuming your Canadian.)
The guy said it did 0-100km/h in 1.9 seconds, he said he had some kind on onboard lcd screen?? he also said top speed was clocked at 122km/h. He says he ivested a lot of time, and speed was clocked with a radar gun.

Anyways If I do purchase it, I will get back to you. He is offering to show off the car in a parking lot this tuesday.

Thanks again guys, very helpful forum
Old 08-30-2004, 12:45 AM
Tech Master

I think that you should look at the R40

Okay, lets assume that the car is in decent shape. Check out the bottom of the chassis to see if its really scratched and make sure its flat. A scratched chassis isn't a deal killer, but it can give you an idea how much the car has been run. Also look carefully at the plastic parts. Any evidence of hard impacts. Again, not a deal killer, but another thing to concider. If he's willing to run it for you, all the better. After he stops it and the engine is hot, try and spin the flywheel. You should be able to feel the pop every time the piston goes to the top of the cylinder. If the flywheel spins with little or no resistance, the piston and sleeve need to be replaced.

What kind of servos in it. Stock ones that come with the radio or high speed, high tork? I'll assume that they are better then the stock ones.

Next, is the Radio. What kind is it? If its a good FM Radio, in good shape, then the 600cdn would be a pretty good deal.

Also, if you buy the car, plan on tearing it completly down and rebuilding it yourself. Replace any worn, bent, stripped or messed up parts as you go.

Good luck!