Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Help Please!!!! >

Help Please!!!!

Help Please!!!!

Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default Help Please!!!!

Hey guys...I purchased a lot of cars at a garage sale this past weekend. They were all electric and one nitro.

I know nothing about nitro.

Im trying to describe what is wrong when I sell it so my question is:

When I try and pull the starter (the plug coming out of the engine) its stuck. I pulled pretty hard and cant get it to turn. Does this mean the engine is bad or can it be fixed?

Its an HPI RS4...

any help would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

be careful not to pull too hard on the pullstarter on those HPI .15 star engines. short and fast 4inch pulls using your fingers, its not a lawnmower. If it doesnt want to cooperate, the recoil spring inside the pull starter is usually damaged or the one way bearing engaging the crank is gone.
You might also have a 'flooded' engine, where too much fuel is accumulated inside the sleeve.
I'm guessing since the nitro car was at a garage sale, it might not have been stored in the best of conditions.
If you need to take apart the pull starter, find a friend who has experience in this. whatever you do, do not try to pull out the recoil spring from inside the starter or it will go (boing-boing-boing) richochet all over the place. Rewinding the spring with yr hands isnt the best way to do it, but it helps to see how it works at least temporarily.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Thanks, im not into nitro at all. So Im gonna try and just sell it as is...Thanks a lot