Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie's first car

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 01:55 AM
Tech Adept

Default Newbie's first car

Hi everyone. I have always wanted to build my own rc car but never had the time or money to dedicate on the hobby. So now I got some cash and I got some spare time and i want to build my first rc car.
I don't plan to become a competitive racer, I only want to have fun building it and occasionally run it with friends.
So to cut the long story short, I know pretty much nothing about rc cars and I don't even own the necessary tools for the job. The only experience I have is from a little mechanical engineering background and from an rc car i helped a friend build when i was young (like 15 years ago).
I have been flirting with the velox v10 for a very long time, I think it looks h0t

Could you guys help me get started? Give me a list of things I need to buy and where to buy it from. I am in the UK (London) and I would prefer to buy things online locally.

The other thing I need is a bodyshell that is prepainted and predrilled and ready to install. I got no facility to do my own painting or drilling or any sort of heavy work. All i got is a workbench in my room (living in a flat).
Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Some of the competition oriented cars like the Velox may be too advance for a newbie to build or play with. I suggest getting a lesser kit like the HPI cars.

The problem with the competition cars is that they all use pillow ball suspensions. They're great because they allow for much flexibility in adjustments. However, this makes it complex for the newbie because it requires a proper set-up station to do it right. Not good because of the added cost of the set-up station.

The reason I suggest the HPI is because parts are ubiquitous for them and that they use simple C-hub suspensions that makes things easier for newbies to adjust and set-up. All you'll need is a turnbuckle wrench to adjust the tie rods.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Tech Regular

If your buying from the uk get in touch with Dave at DH Modelsport, there the uk distributor for shepherd! They will see you rite

Just reread your post, parhaps a full blow car is maybe alittle extreme, unless that really what you want.
What part of London are you, maybe we can talk you into racing at club meetings every now n again.
If you decide on one of the more budget cars get in touch with mb models, he will give you one of the best deals in uk!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would suggest buying and building an Associated NTC3 Factory Team Kit and dropping at mild motor into it. The stock Associated holds a tune well and will do 50 all day. if you want more speed, you can alway upgrade to another motor later on.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Check out the Beginner's Guide of my Website:

http://nitrokb.netne.net/
Old 01-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks everyone. Good advice. At the moment I have ordered an electric car to get me acquainted with the assembly process of these beasts. I will see how that goes and act accordingly.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Ok, so my electric car gets delivered tomorrow.
It is a Tamiya M3 GT2 58449 model. Well excited about it!

Any advice for the first build?
Old 01-24-2011, 07:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by omegaf
Ok, so my electric car gets delivered tomorrow.
It is a Tamiya M3 GT2 58449 model. Well excited about it!

Any advice for the first build?
Take your time to read through the instruction book, a couple of time if necessary. Ensure you have the right tools at hand and most of all ENJOY. Some of the pleasure of RC CARS comes from opening the box for the first time and the build. I would also advise that racing is a hell of a lot more rewarding than car park bashing. Car Park bashing is easy and absolutely anyone can do it. Getting these things around a track is a whole other story. That's just my opinion.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default set up station required for competition

Originally Posted by YR4Dude
Some of the competition oriented cars like the Velox may be too advance for a newbie to build or play with. I suggest getting a lesser kit like the HPI cars.

The problem with the competition cars is that they all use pillow ball suspensions. They're great because they allow for much flexibility in adjustments. However, this makes it complex for the newbie because it requires a proper set-up station to do it right. Not good because of the added cost of the set-up station.

The reason I suggest the HPI is because parts are ubiquitous for them and that they use simple C-hub suspensions that makes things easier for newbies to adjust and set-up. All you'll need is a turnbuckle wrench to adjust the tie rods.
I would say that you do not need a set station to be competitive, if you have two staight edge rulers you can set up your car just fine.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

BTW let us know how u go...
Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 AM
Tech Adept

right then. it is all done. the assembly took just a few hours. i found it very easy.
it took forever to cut the shell and apply the stickers though and i have done a poor job at it.
it is however now ready to run now minus the paintjob on the shell but i don't have the equipment or the area to do that so it will remain transparent.

the only thing that has left me scratching my head at the moment is a bunch of screws i got spare. there is too many of them and i have gone back and forth in the instructions to make sure i didn't miss anything. is this normal?
i know it has some spare parts for add-ons and other after market modifications but there's just too many screws laying around here and nowhere to use them.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Normally there are a few extras in case you misplace some.

Painting is easy, all you need is 1 can of colour and even just a car park to spray it in. Remember the paint goes on the inside of the body if you decide to do it. Also wash the body out well with soap and warm water first so the paint sticks.

Well done on your first attempt.

Pictures???
Old 01-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

yeh, i am working on piccies now
Thanks. The only thing that bothers me is that i really did a bad job with the stickers. Most of them are not aligned properly and the big ones have bubbles and kinks in them
I won't paint it. I don't even have a garage. I live in a flat. I think it looks cool transparent anyway so I will leave it like this. Maybe if I can find a ready made shell, I will buy one as an alternative spare but my searches so far have returned nothing. Seems to be DYI or not at all.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:39 PM
Tech Adept

http://www.box.net/shared/yg4get07xh

Here is a link to many pics.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

*Clapping my hands*. Very good job for your first one mate. Well done.

BTW I was previously Motonica#1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.