Old 02-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Tech Addict

Default nimh vs lipo

can some one explain the advantage of running lipos vs nimh
Old 02-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by bigtee
can some one explain the advantage of running lipos vs nimh
NiMH, not so as the old NiCd but still, suffers from "memory" problem. Lipos don't. They are lighter also, couse a greater energy density.
But the real advantage I see in Lipos is that the rate to wich they lose charge is negligible. NiMH lose charge "fast", compared. (I mean when not in use)
Old 02-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Tech Elite

Run LiFe, get the best of both without a regulator....
Old 02-05-2011, 02:02 AM
Tech Lord

I still do trust the good ols NiMh. They do work without any problems, do not need any extra electronics, do not require balancers and LiPo bags as more clubs and organisations have stated for charging Lithium based batteries.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by stefan
Run LiFe, get the best of both without a regulator....
I agree with you too.

I run LiFe 1450 for almost a year now.

Disadvantage of lipo batt for car receiver :

1. LiPo need a voltage regulator to step down the voltage to 6V. More electronics = more chance of getting DNF problem.
2. cheap voltage regulator = low amp power = glitching.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

I still trust my NiMh.

Never trusted in Lipo. The regurator is one more piece that can get you in trouble, as well said before.

LiFe is interesting but i´m still waiting to see how they work long term.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:45 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by asw7576
I agree with you too.

I run LiFe 1450 for almost a year now.

Disadvantage of lipo batt for car receiver :

1. LiPo need a voltage regulator to step down the voltage to 6V. More electronics = more chance of getting DNF problem.
2. cheap voltage regulator = low amp power = glitching.
got a link to a good receiver pack?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've been using a Lipo/regulator combination for the last two years and haven't had a single problem. The Xceed regulator is very reliable.
The biggest plus about a Lipo/regulator setup is the constant voltage supply you're getting.
With normal batteries the voltage drops under heavy load causing the servos to slow down.
And after a 30 min final you still have the 6V/5A power supply making the car very consistent.
I also like the small sizes and the low weight of the Lipo's.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:31 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DS Motorsport
I've been using a Lipo/regulator combination for the last two years and haven't had a single problem. The Xceed regulator is very reliable.
...(Blah)...
I also like the small sizes and the low weight of the Lipo's.
Amen
Old 02-05-2011, 05:38 AM
Tech Regular

LiFe all the way for me, Take alook on rc mushroom, there's a zepping racing life on there, that's the one I used also last year! Also fits in the v10 too where space is limited!
Takes the hassle out of running a regulator as said above
Old 02-05-2011, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

One reason for keep using NiMh battery because some people want to use the weight of NiMh as kind of ballast. To lower car cg.

Last edited by asw7576; 02-05-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

I use the spectrum receiver and the hi-voltage sanwa servos for 1/8th on-road, this combination allows me to run the li-po without any regulator. I have been running this combination for over a year now without any problems. The advantage with li-po is its light, makes the servos operates at a faster speed and has a longer run time. The disadvantage with li-po is when it goes flat there is no warning. With ni-mh you can start to feel your servos slowing down, li-po will give you full power in your servos and then just stop working, causing a run-way. Must make sure to keep it top up at all times.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Tech Master

Charging NiMh, its better to discharge the pach be charging, useing as a RX pack you drive till it looses control over the car or its sluggish. Anything less than 4volts. Your RX runs 4volts and servos.

Lipo's Should have a monitor on your system. Lipo's cut-off voltage is 3-3.2 volts. You must charge them. Another thing, is lipo's are rechageable at any time. it won't hurt it. You'll know when to charge by yourself or askin' around the track. Lipo's does last longer than NiMh. In other words, you'll know by experience with lipo's, Like the old NiMh guys.

Good Luck on whch ever you decide on. Read what write up you can find on NiMh and Lipo's. Been running RC's since the '80's, run it on my nitro's and electrics. Nitro's i'll stay with the NiMh. Electrics!! Go with the Lipo's. Keep on the eye with cut-off voltage with lipo's and disconnect when storage. You don't want to see "Low Voltage" on Lipo charger(2.95V) or an average of 3.0v per cell.
Old 02-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Tech Initiate

My mate has just started using lipo and as previously mentioned, I have to constantly charge my battery (nimh) to keep up with the power and long life of Lipo. The only thing is having to fit the regulator. But having the lipos means you can basically run a full 3 qualifying and A final without having to charge your receiver pack. + as I said the power of the servos when I compare against nimh and lipo, the lipo a. Stays consistent throughout the day and b. Are simpley more powerful even compared to the nimh at full charge.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Geezatec
Charging NiMh, its better to discharge the pach be charging, useing as a RX pack you drive till it looses control over the car or its sluggish. Anything less than 4volts. Your RX runs 4volts and servos.
Discharching NiMh is old skool, current cells in combination with current computer chargers do not need a discharching My main 1600mAh NiMh pack will run its 3rd season and is still going strong. I do charge it on 2 amps every morning before the racing/training starts and arround noon in the break I charge it again. Mostly a charge of 600 up to 1000mAh is needed. Only at the start of the season I do a charge/discharge/charge program and still at this moment almost 1600mAh is going in.

Originally Posted by Geezatec
Lipo's does last longer than NiMh. In other words, you'll know by experience with lipo's, Like the old NiMh guys.
Sadly as with NiMh also LiPo can have a bad cell and I have seen a lot of problems with LiPo batteries and the needed voltage regulators, I even have seen people switching back to NiMh. I do believe LiFe will make a change into that and will be the future standard receiver battery.