Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Flying With A 1/8 Gas Car >

Flying With A 1/8 Gas Car

Flying With A 1/8 Gas Car

Old 01-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Flying With A 1/8 Gas Car

Can Some Of You That Fly All The Time Elaborate On What You Can And Cant Take, Does Or Don'ts When Flying With A Rc Car.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I can't help you but you might want to try the search button because i remember a couple threads started about this already and there was some very good information in there, from what I can remember.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dfilo456
Can Some Of You That Fly All The Time Elaborate On What You Can And Cant Take, Does Or Don'ts When Flying With A Rc Car.

Thanks
You can take almost everything but fuel as long as you take it as checked bags. Carry on's get a little bit strictor about tools and fluids.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Best advice I can give , make sure you have no fuel or batteries in/on the car ( remove tank , remove receiver pack) - store these separately.

Also tell the inspectors what you have in your bags , and pack a magazine or two to show them when the go "Huh?"

Never had a problem
Old 01-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

This is my recipe 10+ check ins at TSA no problems.

NO FUEL AND NO AEROSAL CANS IN ANY BAG.

Carry on.

1-Complete Car ready to run with motor,fuel tank and battery removed. No fuel line on car. Clip body onto car. They will not remove body and makes any chemical swab test pass.

(I like to have my car and radio as carry on in the event they loose the checked bags..it happens. You still can participate at the race. Easy to bum a couple batteries and starter box)

2-Spare engines in clearly labeled boxes. Make sure they are opened from any shrink wrap. If not they will open them. New and clean used exhaust headers inclearly labelled boxes.

3-Fuel tank removed from car in a seperate small ziplock (I put in in my radio bag). Tank must be clean of all residue and dry.

4-Radio with battery removed.

Checked bag:

1-Any kind of batteries that you are going to use for car or radio.

2-All your tools ,spares,tires,tire truer and any non aerosal liquids in a ziptop bag inside plastic tote ( Trust me sucks when all your shock oil spill in your bag!)

3- MAKE SURE BAG IS UNDER 50LBS OR BIG TIME OVERWEIGHT CHARGE

Finally be friendly and personable to the TSA agent you breeze right thru...dont be a D@#^K I watched a fellow racer get all his stuff torn thru as he decided to be a smartass.

When you pack up to return make sure car is a clean as possible. Make sure the body is nice and clean and be sure to clip it onto the car. Again this make any chemical swab test a non issue as they only swab the body.

Cheers
Jamie

Last edited by J.Gonzalez; 01-26-2011 at 06:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I like to pack my car in the luggage. I remove the engine, the rear body mount, the batteries and the tank, wrap it in a big towel and I make sure that I put plenty of clothe on top of it and under it, so that when the luggage gets trown around theres some cushioning.

I like to take the radio(in a radio box) on the plane as a carry on, nothing in the box except for the radio, not batteries IN the radio either. I've traveled with someone that left his lipos in the radio box and they had all kinds of questions for him LOL. Ive been stoped once about my radio, other than that, no problems

Last edited by nitrodude; 01-26-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:23 PM
Tech Addict

Jamie's got all the right answers.
I would just add one thing. When they ask you what it runs on--DO NOT say NITRO say ALCOHOL.
This will also cut down on possibly more questions and strange looks.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Tech Initiate

I have flown about a dozen times over the last year or so with my racing gear and have not spent much time focusing what i pack, but focus more on NO Fuel and cleaning everything including the tank. Below is what I have done and had no issues.

*Car checked with motor, battery, tank and body-No Pipe
*Radio taken as carry-on with battery- One time it was swabbed, but no issue. I prefer to check my radio.
*All Checked in- tools chargers, oils, clean engines- packed in original boxes.
*All pipes were clean, but most of the time just thrown in the box after the race after being cleaned.
*No aerosol cans, but want too!
*The only thing that has been removed and actually inspected multiple times was my truer, but after it gets swabbed or scanned seperatly, its all good. Im usually throwing things around pretty good anyway coming back from a race just trying guess weight right under 50 pounds in both my bags.

The only thing I would throw caution too is small town regional airports!!! They seem to be more cautious and clueless to what we are traveling with.

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"
Old 01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
rjr
Tech Adept

I never fly with my stuff, I send it Fed Ex. Easier. Reliably arrives on time. No issues with swabbing for fuel, etc. Shipping price is based on weight - up to 70 pounds per box - I can send more that way.
Old 01-27-2011, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default Australian Domestic flight travel.

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
Best advice I can give , make sure you have no fuel or batteries in/on the car ( remove tank , remove receiver pack) - store these separately.

Also tell the inspectors what you have in your bags , and pack a magazine or two to show them when the go "Huh?"

Never had a problem
I fly domestically in Australia... We do not carry fuel, I remove the engines and place them in our large suitcases, I leave battery and fuel tank in the car and put some fuel line under the lid to keep it open and carry it on as hand luggage.

The Battery issues are in the chance of shorting and causing fire, I disconnect my battery from the car.

I have been tested several times by the "swab" both outbound and inbound and our fuel residue does not result in an dramas.