Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 1/8 on-road "XR8"

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wow, thanks for all the support guys. The reason why PRP developed an RTR 1/8th scale on-road car was to keep cost down for the consumer and introduce them to the 1/8th scale on-road world. Alot of people that want to get into 1/8th scale on-road cars in the beginning are affected by the original cost factor of 1/8th scale. As racers, we all realize how much we put into our cars and how much fundage we spend to be competitive. A consumer can go into a hobbyshop and spend close to $1500-$2000 initially to get started in 1/8th scale on-road ( car kit, engine, starter box, nitro accessories, tires, etc..... ). Some will pay the price because that's what they want, but others will not. We feel by having a RTR 1/8th scale, this will introduce new comers that are interested into getting an affordable 1/8th scale on-road car without breaking thier finances. And, as time goes on, the consumer wil always have the option to upgrade depending if they like 1/8th scale on-road. I've actually spoken to alot of consumers that have the XR/80 and they are very happy that they can get into 1/8th scale without spending a tremendous amount of money to get started. I've also spoken to consumers that have started with the XR/80 and now have upgraded to other cars. One consumer told me that the reason why he started with the XR/80 was because of initial pricing and parts availablity at his LHS.

Raul purchased a XR/8 pro kit ( the same kit that Kevin Jelich, Josh Alton, and Jimmy DePrez has. ) Raul's car looked different because he had alot of the upgrade parts available for the XR/8 and XR/80. Both cars are all compatible with parts and upgrades. We've had alot of races that started off with XR/80 and now their cars look like XR/8 pro kits because they've purchased the upgrades.

Anyways, thanks for all your input on this thread everybody.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"An RTR package maybe the long term goal of a "SPEC" class...Problem is when only one manufacturer is producing the vechicle, the interest is limited. I forget who produces the XR80, but if the manufcturer steps-up and sponsors a series of events throughout the US and worldwide, and it gains popolarity, perhaps other manufacturers will follow with something similar...but we the racers have no control on this. "

I aggree, and had hoped that the other companies would follow suit, with a low cost 8th scale alternative. The class is almost non-existant around here, and seems to be losing ground elsewhere. Every time I talk to another 10th scale racer about upgrading to 8th scale, they all say the same thing, love the performance, not willing to pay for it. The XR80 is a great and simple solution. Shallow pockets can pick up the RTR alot easier. As far as mods, those 2 XR8s, the Mugen and the other one, were all pretty equal, so these guys who pick up a cheap RTR and then mod it, won't have a really big advantage.

"Now if someone produced a rolling chassis / engine / pipe config...and all you need is your radio....that would be something."

They do... the XR80 RTR. That cheap AM radio costs all of $45,( a very small percentage of the total cost) and as I'm sure you're aware, you can very quickly slap in your own control system. I keep pushing this car because it could very well, help to salvage the class. I've proven to myself I don't need expensive equipment to be competitive, and at club level, it's more about fun, than competing at a pro level...

"Were not stuck with the exotics...we all have them and are looking for ways to reduce the cost of what's now been raced throughout the US. "

I didn't mean to sound like they're price gouging[can't spell], they're just out of alot of people's reach. I just couldn't justify to myself $1100-$1500 for a new car. Granted, the used ones are around, but I hate dealing with other people's problems. I'm sure alot of potential 8th scale people feel the same way...

I really do hope we can get the prices down, you'd think that the companies producing them would want to sell more. I understand it costs $$ to produce these things, but I feel like the profit margin is a little high on these particular cars. The ultimate truth here is, "Whatever the Market Will Bare"...

Nobody got back to me on that motor's cost, can't be too much. Also, because there are a few other XR80s and XR8s as well as a few other brand cars around here, I doubt that spec class would work, at our club. Nobody wants to buy another motor. I personally, don't care though, I'll race those guys with my RTR motor any day.(I'm second in the points series, so it can't be too slow )

I like the spec idea for one reason, to promote the class. But, the other guys have brought up several valid points, and I have to aggree with some of them. If it were up to me, there would be RTR versions, similar to the XR80, produced by each of the other companies. That way, people wouldn't scoff at Power Racing, and cry foul on the other's 8th scale price tag. It's a hard sell to the eletists, they want to keep it exclusive. I kinda understand, on low turn out racedays, we often combine classes. I've actually run my XR80 in Novice 10th scale nitro touring!!! But I had a blast doing it...and otherwise, my car would catch dust...wich is what I fear for many 8th scale racecars...
Old 09-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Default what up!!

What up Roger? How are things going?
Old 09-01-2005, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Carl Giordano
Aren't the chassis the same? If not my bad
Both chassis are different in material. The chassis for the XR/80 is T6 6061 aluminum. The chassis is stamped, but the manufacture took it a step further and beveled all of the sharp edges for a smooth finish.

The chassis for the XR/8 pro kit is 7075 aluminum. The chassis is CNC machined cut with various airflow ducts underneath the chassis for cooling of the motor and other various items.

Carl: Im sorry, but I still have your Nationals video . I need to get off my butt and mail this out to ya still.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by C Verano
What up Roger? How are things going?
Whats up brotha Chris. Things are picking up here and im getting tired because of my daughter's keeping me up all night .
Old 09-01-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

R40: hopefully, with enough racers mounting arguments for low cost alternatives to racing, other manufacturers will follow with an RTR type class...my local club is going to introduce a stock 1/8th class during our next event in an attempt to attract new racers....
Old 09-01-2005, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roger
Both chassis are different in material. The chassis for the XR/80 is T6 6061 aluminum. The chassis is stamped, but the manufacture took it a step further and beveled all of the sharp edges for a smooth finish.

The chassis for the XR/8 pro kit is 7075 aluminum. The chassis is CNC machined cut with various airflow ducts underneath the chassis for cooling of the motor and other various items.

Carl: Im sorry, but I still have your Nationals video . I need to get off my butt and mail this out to ya still.
No big deal Roger...

I did not realize the difference between the Xr/8 and Xr/80....I did have a chance to check out one of the XR/80 at a LHS...the owner really liked it...

So, I'm sure you've notice what we are trying to get done on the other thread with a "SPEC" class engine....Clearly your company would want to see some "stock" guidelines for 1/8th racing...
Old 09-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

and once every body goes rtr then byebye xr/8..

everybody may wanna go with the bigger name companies being that they could now afford it..just my 2 cents.
Old 09-01-2005, 11:21 AM
Tech Champion

"and once every body goes rtr then byebye xr/8..

everybody may wanna go with the bigger name companies being that they could now afford it..just my 2 cents."

I don't think that will be the case. It's more likely that the experienced 10th scale guys would rather have a kit to build than an RTR to tighten screws on. I feel basically the same way, but I'm not "Eletist" enough to avoid an RTR, the price is just too damn good...

It would be just plain cool if Serpant, Mugen and HPI came out with 8th scale RTRs. They would have to, of course, be fully upgradable to their kit counterparts. That way, drivers who would otherwise avoid the hastle/expense, and pick one up, thus imcreasing the size of the dwindling class...there I go again...hehe...
Old 09-01-2005, 11:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

plus they really need to make a 60 minute dvd on how to successfully put together a kit, any kit that you purchase,this one of the biggest reasons guys buy rtr because we really dont understand most of those instructions, but if there was a dvd that one could purchase, showing novice how to put it together i think most people would gravitate towards the kits, not only will it show them how to build but it would show them how to take apart, and not have to run to the shop and spend spend spend......

now im gonna go over and get a pat#. for this idea..lol

maybe sell them for $20 bucks

anyone want to join me in this effort? maybe we can offer this to anyone who buys a xr8 only
Old 09-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Tech Champion

I'm pretty sure that most guys buying RTRs over kits aren't getting them because they're tech-tards, more often then not it's because they're LAZY! They'd rather buy it, fuel up and start "Playing" than spend the 1-3 days building something they have a limited understanding of. Keep in mind, most guys that are fresh to the RC racing scene are not racers, they're just interested in the speed and the noise(I know, it's like high school or something, oops, gigantic can of worms...hehe...rice rockets imediatly come to mind, and all the B.S. associated with that Fad)

It's true, many of the instruction manuals that come with kits these days are nothing short of crap, just awful. I feel like they anticipate you already having a couple cars laying around, so building one from several bags of parts is no biggy(for me and the guys I know at least). Thusly I think most of the people picking up XR8s are experienced hobby people, and don't need extra explanation. Really, I could proabably build almost any of my cars from the ground up without instructions now, all I'd need to know is the order, or layering of the various spacers and such...
Old 09-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

well lucky you!

you had to learn at some point and time, if someone was looking at two kits, one came with some bs instruction and one came w/instruction and a dvd which one would one perfer? and being that you're really interested in building somethine for the first time, i know if they looked and act the same on the track and one was cheaper and it came w/dvd on how to..... chances are im gonna get that kit!

thats all im saying

your response is exactlly one of the reasons guys like myself perfer the rtr, not that im lazy just dont wanna screw things up! it's a.. "can i do this sort of deal" dont get me wrong im on your side. but all this being said there are easier ways about going about "ANYTHING" in life
Old 09-01-2005, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

what do you guys think of this car cause hear that prp sending their driver to the worlds?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by epicbloodline
and once every body goes rtr then byebye xr/8..

everybody may wanna go with the bigger name companies being that they could now afford it..just my 2 cents.
The XR8 has enough appeal to stand on its own when compaired to the established 1/8 on-road cars. I had an Evolva before the XR8 and while the Kyosho is a great car, I like the XR8 better. It was better equiped out of the box, more adjustable, and had better traction. Lower cost is nice too.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racer x 1
what do you guys think of this car cause hear that prp sending their driver to the worlds?
I think the car will do very well at the worlds in the hands of the PRP drivers. There is also going to be three drivers from France using the car as well. Well just have to wait and see on Tuesday ( Sept 6th ) how the PRP drivers are qualified at. Thursday is a good time to see exactly where they stand because they'll be racing the same people with all similiar times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.