Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 1/8 on-road "XR8"

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

After the aforementioned shaky start, Rons car was dialed. Proving that spending big money on a kit isn't absolutely neccesary to field a contending car. Big Props for some smooth driving! I know you made believers out of 9 guys!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks Nick! By the way, it wasn't my 'pit guys' fault.. The starts were &%*#@#-up! Could not here the pa over there and the flagman was a fantom!
Found one thing wrong with car.. tank lid quit sealing! That was the cause of the wetness & extremely high rpm run-on (not to mention my lack of brakes in main).

Carnage, you have to check out the last item on the grid on-road forum! I have got to get me one of those!
Old 06-28-2005, 07:18 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

In Europe PROTECH brings the car on the market
it's the "VXR-8" and the "VXS-8"

For what i've heard, they are not very strong.......
Old 06-28-2005, 08:39 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

"In Europe PROTECH brings the car on the market

For what i've heard, they are not very strong......."

Got any links to back this up. I've proven to myself this car is plenty strong. I had a pair of near identical crashes, same place, different cars. The R40 needed a new chassis, front bulkhead, 2 front shock bodies, ect. With the XR80, I bent the bumper back, and poped the body back out. These cars are plenty strong...
Old 06-28-2005, 09:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default strength

Originally Posted by R40Victim

Got any links to back this up. I've proven to myself this car is plenty strong. I had a pair of near identical crashes, same place, different cars. The R40 needed a new chassis, front bulkhead, 2 front shock bodies, ect. With the XR80, I bent the bumper back, and poped the body back out. These cars are plenty strong...
R40, I agree. But dont try to wreck the car....
Old 06-28-2005, 10:01 AM
Tech Champion

Both crashes were, of course, accidents. The reciever died in the R40, leading to a near full throttle impact. The XR80 had a battery wire come loose, sending it in at about the same throttle setting, and a little more speed. I rarely crash, and it's been a mechanical failure each time. I've ovebuilt it now, should be strong enough to handle any number of "accidents". The one thing that's been a problem recently, was the tuned pipe. It's the crappy old rubber coupler type. It has a tendancy to pop off in race collisions. I replaced the R40's pipe with the spring attached coupler, big improvement. I plan to do the same with this one. I may try a few tricks in the mean time to keep it on there...
Old 06-29-2005, 07:00 AM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim

I'm a competitor in the Dutch championship, this car is not driving there, it is only tested by 1 or 2 drivers.
The cars you see here in Holland are, SMP, Serpent, Kyosho, Mugen, Shepard.....
The problem was that the suspension wears out to fast, with the result of unwanted movement in the parts.......
Also the front suspension is more like the S950, and Serpent changed this for strength reasons with there S950R kit......
I can not back up this story with pictures of any kind, it's just something I've heard........

another problem is because the kit is only about $100 cheaper then the "big" brands, people tend to stay with what the know......
Old 06-29-2005, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

I, too am a racer, not a basher. I run the XR8, not the XR80. My XR8 has less slop in the suspension components, after a couple of hours track time, than my Kyosho did when it was new! Long term durabillity, well, we will see.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Suspension

Since we are on the subject of suspension components, you also have the option of using the new MC Nylon suspension upper and lower arms for the XR/8.

http://happytimehobby.com/catalog/images/x82035.jpg

All pieces are CNC cut for percision and performance.
Old 06-29-2005, 10:37 AM
Tech Champion

It's good to hear constructive criticism, and aparently there's a cure to that issue. I like hearing how well the car has done in large events, up against all those nice cars you listed. I bought the RTR, wich when compared to the other brands, is a fantastic value. Put simply, you cannot get into 8th scale for under a grand, unless you get the XR80. That's an easy $600 cheaper than the next cheapest competitor, when you add up the motor, pipe, control system, and starter box. You end up spending around $1500 on a Serpant, MRX, ect...
Old 06-29-2005, 06:01 PM
Tech Champion

Default durability

Originally Posted by Roger
Since we are on the subject of suspension components, you also have the option of using the new MC Nylon suspension upper and lower arms for the XR/8.

http://happytimehobby.com/catalog/images/x82035.jpg

All pieces are CNC cut for percision and performance.
Well I for one like the CNC'd arms. They are much beefier. The pic's do them no justice. But they are not cheap, but neither is this hobby/sport. Get them if you can....
Old 06-29-2005, 09:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

What shore combinations are XR8 racers running?
Old 06-30-2005, 01:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by revzalot
Jimmy Deprez and Kevin Jelich have been running 38's all the way around with good results at Rams. I would start off with 38's and eventually go into 40's.
Old 06-30-2005, 04:21 AM
Tech Champion

Default shore's

Originally Posted by revzalot
Well, over here on the East Coast, we are using 35 frt and rear. Our tracks are not as nice as yours.....well still waitng for Bridgeport to be finished.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Tech Champion

I tryed a set of 38s all the way around, and ended up with 38 fronts, and 35 rears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.