Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New 1/8 on-road "XR8"

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

There was a site dedicated to 8ths, but it's gone now. I did searches for others not very sucessful. What would you like to know about them aside from costs? Basically most of them handle well out of the box, but you will have to do some sort of tuning. Quality rating, the Mugen and Kyosho Evolva are on top IMO. The XR8 and the Serpent are a little behind, however they are still great cars. Another thing is parts availability. Definately check on that. Nothing more annoying than to order all the time. For competition, expect to spend $350+ for a good engine. Nothing less will help you with the 8th scales. Good servos are needed as well as a TRS and failsaife, which should be on any car when racing.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:50 PM
mxs
Tech Adept

How about the servos? I am guessing that given the weight of the car you generally need more torque, so any servo I have for 1/10 is probably not good enough, right? Maybe the throttle one should be all right.

As far as parts I don't think that any of my LHS carries any at all so I would have to order at any rate all the time.

Thanks
Old 05-14-2005, 09:38 PM
Tech Elite

100oz+ will be nice for the car. Also not only torque, but something fast is what you'd want. What servos are on the 10th now? Remember always best 2 order what LHS can carry/get stuff easiest for.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:41 AM
Tech Master

Futaba 9451s any good? Thats what i want to use in my XR8 when it comes

Cheers
Old 05-15-2005, 08:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally posted by HarKonnenD
No, still the comsuption rate of the .21 engines, the fuel it consumes per tank, the rate at which the tires burn out on those cars still add up more than a nitro sedan. No way 8th is gonna be less than or the same 10th scales period.
Car XR8 $370.00
Engine Mega $355.00
Tyres x 6 $220.35

$945.35

RRR WC $438.00
Mega $272.00
Tyres x 10 $174.20

$884.20

Tyres for 1/8th last twice as long so you would have to pay around $60 more for a 1/8th setup.

XR8 spares are cheaper than RRR. I know what i would rather have!
Old 05-15-2005, 09:32 AM
Tech Elite

8Th tires most definately do not last twice as long. All the guys at our track wear down their tires faster than the nitro sedans. Also, you do not need the RRR for competition. The MTX-3, FW05RR or even a FT TC3 is all you need. Unlike 10th the 8th scales can't run the same front tires in the rear. With nitro sedans you can rotate them, unless you run 30mm rear and 26/28fronts. I'd still go for 8th scale, but from a few personal XR8 owners it was better to go for the higher priced 8th scales for many reasons; parts availability, fitting, quality,etc. Unless I don't do 8th buggy, then I may keep the 8th on the side and run both cars (at the same track). My only concern is the 8ths fuel consumption (125CC verses the 75CC) run time and price for parts. Eh, this is the hobby life.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by HarKonnenD
8Th tires most definately do not last twice as long. All the guys at our track wear down their tires faster than the nitro sedans. Also, you do not need the RRR for competition. The MTX-3, FW05RR or even a FT TC3 is all you need. Unlike 10th the 8th scales can't run the same front tires in the rear. With nitro sedans you can rotate them, unless you run 30mm rear and 26/28fronts. I'd still go for 8th scale, but from a few personal XR8 owners it was better to go for the higher priced 8th scales for many reasons; parts availability, fitting, quality,etc. Unless I don't do 8th buggy, then I may keep the 8th on the side and run both cars (at the same track). My only concern is the 8ths fuel consumption (125CC verses the 75CC) run time and price for parts. Eh, this is the hobby life.
You cannot run rear touring car tires on the front and vice versa. The bias for the tires are totally different front to rear.

I run both the Evolva and the RRR and the RRR is a lot cheaper. I seem to break more with the 1/8 as I hit harder and the 1/8th carries more momentum (MV squared)

The tire weaR IS ABOUT THE SAME AS BOTH SETS OF TIRES ARE TRUED FOR MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE.

That being said, I broke the chassis on my RRR so it drove up the cost of the RRR to just a little less than the evolva.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:37 PM
Tech Elite

If you are running 26mm tires and the same shore rate you can definately change them. Just rotate them just like you do with a real car. It's been done many times, however nowadays people are running wider rear tires and different shore rating. That's where you can't change them. From running at the track, it usually depends on who's running what shore rating,how hard they drive, the car setup, etc With that being said, most of the time its the 8th guys who burn up their foams faster than us sedan drivers.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you put tires labeled FRONT on the back of the car, not matter the width, the car will slide all over the place. The front tires are made of different compounds.

Also, the mugen, kyosho and serpents are all on the same league as far as quality, and Im sure so is the XR8. The fact that the XR8 is from a newer company doesnt make lower quality. You can be the newest company and have the highest quality kit.
Old 05-16-2005, 03:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default race day

Well guys here are some results from my first raced day. First off, it was nearly a wash with the weather again, but great fro horsepower.... Our 1/8th field had some high potential drivers accumalting to almost 30 drivers. Not bad. Well from a setup from my head and experience I put the car down for practice. The car started and ran perfectly(thanks to O.S. VSPec VerII), and Steve P.... With the engine up to normal temps, I was in the heart of Mugenville. Granted these guys are running their car's all weekend, and share setups trackside wich are very fast, my car was no slouch. I think the quote of the day was from a high ranking driver " The car has steering, but it sucks" refering to my car. Of course he was a other name brand driver. Little does he know I out qualifyed him, never running a 1/8 before, and no setup. The car was good, pushed a little but very consistent. I was happy to say, no broken parts, just some stuff coming loose from my errors.. like my two speed fell off on the bench(duh)!! I have a lot of ideas for the car, and also working with ACESNITRORC.com driver/teammate Carlos V. we will get this car hooked.... I ended up qualifying in 4th placed for the A main, first place was 22 5:09, my qual time was a 21 5:01 lap times being 2/10's apart from the fastest to mine. So you see, the car was not only good intitially but consistent, and fast. I will post what I had for a setup later, this one needs a little tweaking... I amazed a few people this weekend I think.
Old 05-16-2005, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Hey Raul. Sounds good. I'm still waiting for the other report from some XR8 owners going to Edison, NJ. Could that Steve be Steve Pond? What kind of adjustments did you/are you going to need to do?

Nitrodude- You can get rear tires in the same shore as well. Some are usable in front of rears. Couple places where same shore rating on all fours will work that I bash/race at.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:41 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, I had my first raceday with mine. It was a disaster, and had nothing to do with the car. First, it was raining off and on, then my Pro-4 developed a severe glitch(pretty much cost me the series).

At first, it looked like the 8th scale class would again, not form due to lack of participation(everyone but me is afraid of these cars). Fortunatly, one mre guy showed up, and one of the other owners let a more experienced driver run his car. So, the race begins, and my XR80 is doing bizzare stuff, brakes stuck on, steering was WAY off, ect. I had driven it just 45 minutes before, no problems, I was very confident. I come to find out, my pit partner had grabbed my transmitter, and tried to drive one of his cars with it. While trying to figure out why his settings were all completely wrong, he deleted my car's control profile! I tried getting ready in the 2 minutes I had before the race, and barely got the steering right. I just couldn't control it, and basically gave up before I did severe damage to it. I can't blame my partner though, our controlers are identical.

I'll have to get it sorted out again, but practice before hand was awsome. I pan on making some record laps with this thing, it's only a matter of time...
Old 05-16-2005, 10:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default RESULTS

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HarKonnenD
Hey Raul. Sounds good. I'm still waiting for the other report from some XR8 owners going to Edison, NJ. Could that Steve be Steve Pond? What kind of adjustments did you/are you going to need to do?

Nitrodude- You can get rear tires in the same shore as well. Some are usable in front of rears. Couple places where same shore rating on all fours will work that I bash/race at.
[/QUOT

Yes, that would be Steve Pond. I will not be able to attend edison this round, because I will be in RCX @Anaheim, CA.. I will get to meet Cameron, and Roger in person though.. Next time... The OS engine is awesome.
Old 05-16-2005, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Very nice man.

R40-Sry to hear that man. We all have our bad days.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It really wasn't all that bad. Even with the glitches, I managed my fastest lap yet with my Pro 4.

I've discovered another reason for the poor handling of the XR80 during the race, and it was unrelated to all the radio issues. My right rear lower pivot ball had backed out. That explains why it was spinning out one way, and had a bad push the other. Apparently, it happened during one of the impacts from the lack of control.

I've just about got it put back together, nothing was severely damaged. The other guys did ok, but were overall about as fast as the 19t electric touring class. The race director poked fun at us, we all laughed... It was our first attempt at an 8th scale class, and one guy hadn't driven his in years, the other was and experienced driver, but still pretty new to the car, like me. I know there's alot of potential in these things, just gotta work the bugs out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.