R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   denatured alcohol going sour (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/46746-denatured-alcohol-going-sour.html)

jscamry 08-02-2004 11:53 PM

denatured alcohol going sour

hey all, I wondering if anyone has had denatured alcohol go bad? I bought a gal of DA and I stored it in my garage for a few months, and I went to use it recently and the can that it came in was tarnished(some what rusted) and the solvent was greenish and thick not clear as when was new. I live in FLa so I dont know it the heat has something to do with it. where dop you all store your DA or other chemicals?

thanks jason

kidDynomite 08-03-2004 12:01 AM

js, I personally never tasted it =P but I am curious if it does go bad. I was going to buy some tomorrow. I'm tired of buying nitro cleaner.

John Patterson 08-03-2004 07:21 AM

The alcohol is probably fine for cleaning, tho, I wouldn't suggest using it for mixing fuels, lol! The alcohol is hydroscopic, meaning, that it will absorb moisture from the air. Sounds like yours is in a metal can and after a while some condensation of moisture will occur inside the can causing it to rust. I would suggest buying a plastic gasoline container to store your alcohol if you aren't using it up soon. You might pour the old alcohol through a paper coffee filter or two in a plastic funnel to remove any particles of dirt or rust as you pour into new plastic container.

Solara 08-03-2004 07:41 AM

What I did is once I got the DA in a metal tin can form, I will poar them onto 4 of my 1/4 gallon spray bottle immediately, then store them in the basement shop area (or any place that is NOT outside and hot)

I have no knowledge about store them outside and hot will do any BAD to DA........but comment sence told me HOT and OUTSIDE are not good for anything......

Beside, spraying DA over the car once you remove the radio deck and any electricial items and spray them off immediately by using air compressor is the best way to clean RC car........if you are cleaing your RC this way, I don't think any aged DA will do any harm to your RC...alcohol is alcohol, and DA should not be HIGH ACID enough to met your plastic or metal....but it might melt your finger skin off....so wear protection gear.

jscamry 08-03-2004 08:32 AM

thanks for all the tips all. Yeah I use it to clean my rc car. I will try to pour the contents of DA into a plastic botttle.

thanks again
Jason

Marcos.J 08-03-2004 08:48 AM

Originally posted by jscamry
thanks for all the tips all. Yeah I use it to clean my rc car. I will try to pour the contents of DA into a plastic botttle.

thanks again
Jason

hey Jason are you racing this weekend?

20 SMOKE 08-03-2004 12:31 PM

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
jason never races he just goes in circles in a parking lot and calls it a race:lol:

calstarjig90j 08-05-2004 01:03 PM

Denatured Alcohol works great for any nitro or electric cleaning application. I also use spray bottles. You have to use the good spray bottles because after awhile the cheap ones seals will go bad and you'll end getting the stuff coming out of the spray handle instead of the nozzle. The good stuff you can get at costco cheap versus home depot who sell the same product but at a higher price.

GrandeGixxer 08-07-2004 08:50 AM

costco

hey good idea, i hadnt thought of that and i have a costco card. i had been looking for gallons of it but walmart only sells it by the quart.

kidDynomite 08-07-2004 09:13 AM

Costco

GrandeGSXR, I think he meant you can get the spray bottles at Costco. I'll double check next time me & the mrs. go there, to see if they have DA by the gallon.

I bought my DA at HomeDepot the other day in the paint department. $10 buck a gallon. Is that a good price?

And it's called S-L-X Denatured Alcohol. Are there different kinds?

jscamry 08-07-2004 10:11 AM

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
oh over at superior? No i am not I have to work, But I am trying to get the 22nd off so i can race at lakeland...

c ya

jason

GrandeGixxer 08-07-2004 11:08 AM

i get slx for about 2.50 a quart at wal mart. so i guess its about the same price. would be nice to be able to get a gallon for around 6 or 7 bucks though.

also i have never heard of anyone using rubbing alcohol? would it work the same as d a?