R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-27-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Send a message via AIM to R/Cstratus48
Unhappy (Newbie) Hard time understanding tuning...

I just bought a Nitro RS4 RTR 3. This is my very first R/C nitro car. I did the break in already. This has the 15FE engine in it. Now when I get it started what do I do to tune the engine? ( i know its in the instructions but i find them confusing since I don't know many of the parts). Do i use just the Needle valve or do i always have to adjust the idle screw also?

I also purchased a THS exhaust system. The guy at the store said it was made for this kit. Do i just put it on and go or do i have to change anything with my setting?
Also there is a set screw and a bracing rod. Where do these go on the exhaust?

Sorry for all the questions, I know its prob a pain for you guys.
Thank you.
R/Cstratus48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
Tech Addict

First, welcome to the fabulous world of R/C. If you are a normal human you will soon be deeply addicted to the hobby, as are most of the people on this forum. My first R/C was also the RS4-3 RTR. I think it's a good beginer because it is EASy to tune and most shops around me stock plenty of oem and hop-up parts for it.

As far as the THS pipe goes, you should install it first. You will need to remove the 2 exhaust manifold screws from the engine block. Next remove the pipe hanger. Install the new tuned pipe in the same order. I HIGHLY recommend replacing the 2 stock phillips screws foe the manifold with HEX HEAD screws when you install the new pipe. The stock screws can strip out easily and it's a real pain to fix them....and me how I know this...

Once the pipe is on you should tune, or re-tune, the engine. The 15FE is really easy to tune because there's only one needle to adjust. You should start from the factory carb setting and slowly lean the engine out by turning the needle clockwise. If you've never done this before it's best to make small moves on the needle. Approx 1/8 turn moves or less. Get yourself a good temp gun to check the engine temps. I've seen them online for as little as $25, maybe less. They're an important tool for anyone who runs nitro or electric! Keep the engine in the recommend temp range and you're set. You'll be able to see, hear, and feel if the adjustments you're making are increasing or decreasing performance.
j240z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 07:48 PM   #3
Tech Rookie
Send a message via AIM to R/Cstratus48

Thanks man I really apperciate the help
Haha, i havent even ran the car and i love the hobby already! thanks again.
R/Cstratus48 is offline   Reply With Quote