Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ofna CD3/LD3 know-it-alls come in!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 04:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Ofna CD3/LD3 know-it-alls come in!

Hi Everyone. My first post here, just surfing around, and found this site. Looks like a wealth of info!

So, I recently acquired an Ofna CD3 roller. The roller is in overall good shape, and my new parts and engine are on the way, but I have one concern... The 2-speed assembly seems to bind up when I click it into the carrier that holds it to the chassis.

When out of the carrier, the 2-speed functions normally, the OWB works, and the 2nd gear is not engaged, and spins freely. When I click the 2-speed into the carrier (and it takes a little effort to "click" it in) the entire 2-speed seems to bind up, and both gears spin together, with a lot of friction.

Just curious if any other CD3 owners have had this issue, and what the recommended fix is for it?

Thanks in advance. Great site!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:20 AM
Tech Master

You need to go to the RCUniverse Website and lookup the thread ......Those nasty 1/10 scale cars with .21 look for the post of Brent Davis he knows everything about Ofna's cars.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Talk to the guy who works for OFNA who was there to develope those cars, Steve Nguyen aka SNRacing.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Dadic 78
Hi Everyone. My first post here, just surfing around, and found this site. Looks like a wealth of info!

When out of the carrier, the 2-speed functions normally, the OWB works, and the 2nd gear is not engaged, and spins freely. When I click the 2-speed into the carrier (and it takes a little effort to "click" it in) the entire 2-speed seems to bind up, and both gears spin together, with a lot of friction.

Just curious if any other CD3 owners have had this issue, and what the recommended fix is for it?

Thanks in advance. Great site!
..........What do you mean by carrier can you post some pictures of this carrier so i can visualize the problem better??
Old 11-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nitrohead5300
..........What do you mean by carrier can you post some pictures of this carrier so i can visualize the problem better??
So, I just tried to post pics, but apparently I don't have enough posts to put up pics yet??? So, the best I can do is explain the part in question: It's the plastic part that bolts to the chassis, then the 2-speed sits in the carrier. Make sense?

When I sit the 2-speed into the carrier, it takes some effort to "snap" it in, and that binds up the two spur gears, and makes them spin together, and not individually as I think they should.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I believe you are talking about the 2 speed assembly going into the carrier. you should not have to " snap" it in. It should fit in snugly but not "snap". the only thing I can think of is that you have the wrong size bearings on the shaft, that would cause the binding you are speaking of. This is from Associateds website on 2 speed installation: http://www.teamassociated.com/pdf/ca...84_inst_cd.pdf not the ofna, but very close, maybe can be of some help....
Old 11-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default CD3

So, I just tried to post pics, but apparently I don't have enough posts to put up pics yet??? So, the best I can do is explain the part in question: It's the plastic part that bolts to the chassis, then the 2-speed sits in the carrier. Make sense?

When I sit the 2-speed into the carrier, it takes some effort to "snap" it in, and that binds up the two spur gears, and makes them spin together, and not individually as I think they should.

If you dont have the owners manual, you can either go to Ofnas web-site and pull it up, or just Google Ofna CD3 and many sites will come up.If you type in Ofna CD3 owners manual it will take you to the Ofna site, and you can then find the CD3 manual. If you can look at the exploded parts and identify the parts that are causing the problem, we may be able to help you.
It could be that the 2 speed shoes are just a little on the wide size to fit in the 2 speed housing, which is a very easy fix. Try and pull up the owners manual
Old 11-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default CD3 problems

I have both a CD3 Pro and a RTR Pro, which model are you using?

The transmission should fit into the lower transmission mount without binding. The 2nd gear shifting/clutch carrier can be moved fore and aft slightly on the 2-speed shaft before tightening it down. The location of this part may be causing fit interference problems.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by CurveTracer
I have both a CD3 Pro and a RTR Pro, which model are you using?

The transmission should fit into the lower transmission mount without binding. The 2nd gear shifting/clutch carrier can be moved fore and aft slightly on the 2-speed shaft before tightening it down. The location of this part may be causing fit interference problems.
Ah, FINALLY someone who owns one of these!

I'm honestly not sure whether it's the RTR, or the PRO kit. Judging by the chassis, I'd think it's the PRO, but again, I'm not too sure. I picked up the CD3 in a trade, and the previous owner wasn't even 100% sure on what kit it was.

With the 2nd speed spur loosened, and able to move on the 2-speed shaft, I'm able to get the two spur gears as close to each other as possible, and the assembly still "clicks" into the lower transmission mount. -- Looking at the setup, I'm thinking if I grind down the bushing (which is between the larger spur gear, and front 2-speed bearing) about 2mm, I'd have enough clearance, and alleviate the binding condition.

The binding is caused just because the bearings are sitting a little wider than they should be according to the lower transmission mount.

Is this something that you've ever had to do? I don't want to be grinding away bushings if I really just need to make another more simple adjustment.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default CD3

Ah, FINALLY someone who owns one of these!

I'm honestly not sure whether it's the RTR, or the PRO kit. Judging by the chassis, I'd think it's the PRO, but again, I'm not too sure. I picked up the CD3 in a trade, and the previous owner wasn't even 100% sure on what kit it was.

With the 2nd speed spur loosened, and able to move on the 2-speed shaft, I'm able to get the two spur gears as close to each other as possible, and the assembly still "clicks" into the lower transmission mount. -- Looking at the setup, I'm thinking if I grind down the bushing (which is between the larger spur gear, and front 2-speed bearing) about 2mm, I'd have enough clearance, and alleviate the binding condition.

The binding is caused just because the bearings are sitting a little wider than they should be according to the lower transmission mount.

Is this something that you've ever had to do? I don't want to be grinding away bushings if I really just need to make another more simple adjustment.
Should not need to grind anything. Look at the manual, and identify the part that causing the problem. I have owned three or four CD3 cars, and never had an issue with them. Something is for sure out of place, or an incorrect part was installed. Google Ofna CD3 manual, and it will come up with the part number
Old 11-16-2010, 02:50 AM
Tech Addict

I have downloaded the manual, so I'll go over it all tonight, and hopefully find the culprit.
Old 11-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Tech Addict

My parts from Ofna came in today, and I got to re-assembling this roller. The 2-speed issue persisted, and I tore it apart, and rebuilt it as per the manual, and had the same binding issue. Either the plastic bushing (between 1st spur and bearing) is too big, or the bearings themselves are too big. Something isn't quite right... I went ahead, and ground down the plastic bushing about 3mm and she drops right in, no binding... Maybe the previous owner had the wrong size bushing in there???

Everything else went along OK. Got the Hyper .12 installed, no problems, just need to get the electronics installed this weekend, and get her broken in.

Thanks for the direction/advice everyone.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

let us know how things go and good luck!!
Old 12-02-2010, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

Had to order up some more parts to get this thing going. Just small stuff, so It should be at my LHS today. I'll pick up the parts this weekend, and try and get the CD3 rollin'. It's getting pretty cold out here in Ontario, so I might have to wait for some decent weather to break-in, etc...