Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MOTONICA P81RS

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Race report will be posted on motonicausa.com today. RS2 parts are due to arrive in January.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

that is one sweet picture,i wish i could drive good enough to get my car to look like that!!!!
Old 12-20-2011, 02:18 PM
Tech Adept

Hi... Just acquired an p81rs to try out and found the car to be excellent. Noticed that if I full lock to left or right and pushed down on top deck...the top steering rod ball joint hit the top of upper arm. My thinking is that there won't be enough force during fast sweepers to compress that much. Reason I am asking is that I do have a slight on power understeer. Got 2 shims rear and 1 front. Any feedbacks would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Tech Master

Grind a little bit of the plastic from the bottom of the upper arms where the top of the steering ball studs are making contact. If you look closely at the photo a few posts back, you'll see this mod under the upper left arm. The steering links can rub the arm on full compression when running large size tires.

Another small mod we do is to use the angled ball ends on the outer steering links, the same ball end used for the link from the servo to the servo saver. This prevents the turnbuckle itself from rubbing the inner lower portion of the upper arm.

I recently added 0.5mm shims between the 4 steering ball studs and the ackerman plate and steering knuckles. This angles the steering turnbuckle and changes the bump steer characteristic and seems to improve steering.

If you need help with setup, post here or email [email protected].
Old 12-21-2011, 03:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm getting ready for 2012, and I'll keep my RS1
With a Lipo 1350mAh
Titan screws,
titan middle shaft
titan king pin balls
Xceed air box
O,8mm or 0,9 (I never know...) P909 body
Max power XL7
small tires
2420 grammes!! Not bad!
Old 12-22-2011, 12:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by romain_f
I'm getting ready for 2012, and I'll keep my RS1
With a Lipo 1350mAh
Titan screws,
titan middle shaft
titan king pin balls
Xceed air box
O,8mm or 0,9 (I never know...) P909 body
Max power XL7
small tires
2420 grammes!! Not bad!
Hi Romain,

that's great to get is so close to the new limit. What servos are you using?
Old 12-22-2011, 01:23 AM
Tech Elite

Default receiver box

Hello guys,

I thought I post this for those of you who don't like to have their expensive receivers dangling in the open on their Motonica.

To fit a Shepherd receiver box, you simly haveto replace the original throttle servo brackets with two small strips of carbon or glasfibre.

The outside srew holes will then exactly fit into the Shepherd receiver box's original mounting holes with out any cutting or fitting.

Check out the pics:

The throttle servo is then mounted below the carbon strips to achieve the same height as before.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by stefan
Hi Romain,

that's great to get is so close to the new limit. What servos are you using?
Savox 1258 and 1251 (low profile)
And 67 mm rear tires
Old 12-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Tech Adept

Default Receiver

I just mounted my receiver on the opposite side next to fuel tank under the carbon top deck. Used an old mrx4 plastic receiver mount held by screws drilled through top deck .
Old 12-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by xtreme888
I just mounted my receiver on the opposite side next to fuel tank under the carbon top deck. Used an old mrx4 plastic receiver mount held by screws drilled through top deck .
Now, that's exactly where I wouldn't want mine to be.

First, you have to route all the wires across the car.
Secondly, the fuel tank is probably the most dangerous place for a receiver to be when you get refueled in a hurry...
Old 12-22-2011, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by romain_f
Savox 1258 and 1251 (low profile)
And 67 mm rear tires
Oh, ok, that sounds realistic. I got ours to 2465 grams with the full size servos and 75 /68 mm wheels.

I use the Arrowmax aluminium axles for the MRX5 too...

We ran the 1251 last year, but their HV version is supposed to come out in early 2012, than we'll switch to that.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

I forgot, rear Titan dogbones from MRX4

I also made the rear upper arms like the RS2,5g saved! But i didn't test it on the track yet...

Last edited by romain_f; 12-22-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:38 PM
Tech Adept

I installed a shepherd box as well and you don't have to replace original servo mounts - just use much longer screws on the outside and they screw directly into the reciever box.
Old 12-26-2011, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by stefan
Hello guys,

I thought I post this for those of you who don't like to have their expensive receivers dangling in the open on their Motonica.

To fit a Shepherd receiver box, you simly haveto replace the original throttle servo brackets with two small strips of carbon or glasfibre.

The outside srew holes will then exactly fit into the Shepherd receiver box's original mounting holes with out any cutting or fitting.

Check out the pics:

The throttle servo is then mounted below the carbon strips to achieve the same height as before.

nice clean look but iam afraid heat build u in hot s ummer months
Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by garen
Grind a little bit of the plastic from the bottom of the upper arms where the top of the steering ball studs are making contact. If you look closely at the photo a few posts back, you'll see this mod under the upper left arm. The steering links can rub the arm on full compression when running large size tires.

Another small mod we do is to use the angled ball ends on the outer steering links, the same ball end used for the link from the servo to the servo saver. This prevents the turnbuckle itself from rubbing the inner lower portion of the upper arm.

I recently added 0.5mm shims between the 4 steering ball studs and the ackerman plate and steering knuckles. This angles the steering turnbuckle and changes the bump steer characteristic and seems to improve steering.

If you need help with setup, post here or email [email protected].

hi...the setup was the same as on your setup guide for the RS. The car was excellent on low speed and on the chicane. On power sweepers were a problem. Enter first half of curve fine off power fine as soon as on power the car go wide. Dont want to change too much as the traction and handling is spot on apart from on power sweepers. Hence was thinking of raising the outer upper rear link with more shims; or moving to outside hole of the rear upper hub (less camber change ). Would overdrive (changing the front side pulley ) make alot of different to on power steering ? Any suggestions please.

Last edited by xtreme888; 01-09-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.