Community
Wiki Posts
Search

serpent 966 2009 kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 01:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default serpent 966 2009 kit

I put my 966 kit together and about the only problem i had was the carburator slide hits the gas tank so i cannot get full throttle. I loosened the connection at the end of the slide and tried to adjust that way i also tried turning the carb left and right but nothing is working. the set screw at the end of the slide is hitting is anyone else having this problem?? Can anyone help me out? ....

thanks Bill Miller
Old 05-23-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Sand the white plastic spacers that go on top of the radio tray down. This lowers the tank and gives u more clearance. Do both the front and rear spacers. You can take off about 3 or 4mm with no problem. And angle ur carb more to the right.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You have to angle the carb so it doesnt hit.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

You have to lower tank only way it will work. I lowered tank as much as possible..you can get to sit just about on a nimh pack. You will also need to angle carb and be creative with you linkage if you have to top mount your servos. Best to mount from bottom if they will fit that way depends on the servo.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I am having the same problem with my 966, I lowered the tank from the 5mm spacer to 2.5 mm and its still hitting the tank (also turned the carb).

Has anyone tried raising the carb out of the engine?

I cant believe how tight these parts are
Old 10-19-2010, 09:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2010 same as 2009

No other choice ....lower tank as low as possible and get ideal alignment throttle linkage(including adjust carb knob angle )
Old 10-20-2010, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Not sure what motor your working with but my experience with Nova carbs was that by angling the carb and removing the excess material on the set screw boss I have clearance using a Spektrum servo (also had JR's) mounted upright below the tray.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

ok after you lower the tank can you use the spacers to raise the servo alittle ..have anyone tried that option?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Tech Addict

I have an RB Classico 10 mounted in the chassis. It says Nova on the Carb so I assume its a Nova Rossi?

I removed the spacer completely under the tank mount and the tank literally touches the battery and it still needs a bit more room

When I rotate the carb to move the slide away from the tank it touches the radio tray.

Should I try grinding the stub on the underneath of the slide for more clearance?
Old 10-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by lpdconcepts
I have an RB Classico 10 mounted in the chassis. It says Nova on the Carb so I assume its a Nova Rossi?

I removed the spacer completely under the tank mount and the tank literally touches the battery and it still needs a bit more room

When I rotate the carb to move the slide away from the tank it touches the radio tray.

Should I try grinding the stub on the underneath of the slide for more clearance?
Can you post a picture of how you have the carb mounted? I have Piccos and Novas and never had a problem, I switch between motors without changing anything. Im thinking you have the ball on the carb linkage pointing up. Pics please.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

is the motor far enough over? is the mesh o/k.... the pinion/spur should almost be flush with each other. try that and see what happens
Old 10-20-2010, 08:05 PM
Tech Addict

Well I managed to just get it in. I had to remove the batt tray and pin the tank then install the batt and tray. Its pushing against the tank by the way the o-ring is being squeezed by the pin as you can see in the 1st photo.

Hows the gear mesh. Will it need adjusting when the chassis is up to full temp?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Tech Champion

I cant see where its hitting from the picture, but you need to have the ball parallel with the chassis. And angle the carb a bit more, Ill take a pic from mine later and post it.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Master

Try This. relocate your throttle servo, turn it 180degrees. The relocate the carb a bit so linkage won't hit the tank. Then redo your TX with the EPA, it may be openning too much.

Mesh of gears, put a piece of paper between the gears.

Easy as pie!!!! Good luck!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well I managed to just get it in. I had to remove the batt tray and pin the tank then install the batt and tray. Its pushing against the tank by the way the o-ring is being squeezed by the pin as you can see in the 1st photo.

Hows the gear mesh. Will it need adjusting when the chassis is up to full temp?

Ok, for the carb, turn the ball that the throttle linkage is going to snap onto diagonally downwards. right now it's pointed diagonally upwards. If you have to force the throttle linkage to fit it, put it back to the upwards position.

Also make sure the carb is turned correctly after to ensure it does not hit the tank. This is how I do my engines on my 966 and have no problem, sometimes you just have to play with it on till its perfect.
( You may want to mount that savox servo underneath instead of on top, you should have enough clearance to mount beneath with a savox )

For the gear mesh, it looks fine from the picture. But who can really tell from the picture. Spin the gears and if it feels too course/rough , I would loosen/back it out a bit. It will not need to be adjusted when it gets up to temp ( not that i know of ).

I have never stripped a gear using that method. Just make sure you don't back it off too far, use your own judgement. Your car will also be more free.

I have never used the paper trick to mesh before.