Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend an RTR Nitro On-Road for less than $600

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 05:25 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Recommend an RTR Nitro On-Road for less than $600

Hey guys,

I've used R/C's before and I've decided to buy my own.

Basically I'm gonna save $600 AUD (which is basically the same as 600USD right now) or less for the car and I just have four basic wants.

1. FAST. I'm looking for something that can get to at least 60mph and I know I can find some that get to around 75mph in this price range.

2. Completely RTR. I want to be able to get going ASAP obviously I can buy a shell but it has to be total under $600 so it's best if radio is included.

3. Reliability - I want something that will last. I was lookign to a Kyosho (can't remember which one) but it ahd bad reliability.

4. Cost - Has to be under $600 for everything so I'm looking for RTR kit.

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

Rachm
Old 10-11-2010, 05:33 AM
Tech Rookie

For some reason the edit button isn't doing anything for me

However, I just wanted to clarify I had tlooked into the Kyosho Inferno GT which is on sale right now for $600 but I've been told its unreliable.

Secondly, I'd prefer 1/8th or 1/10th scale.

Last edited by Rachm; 10-11-2010 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Tech Lord

Schumacher Fusion and the Edam 1/8 RTR do fit wih your wishes and budget.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:57 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi, thanks for the recommendation but I'm aiming for a brand which is more known (e.g HPI and Kyosho or nay other large brand) as parts and warranties are hard to carry out in Australia as the field of RC is very limited.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:03 AM
Tech Elite

Default That's a tight budget, but not impossible.

Originally Posted by Rachm
Hi, thanks for the recommendation but I'm aiming for a brand which is more known (e.g HPI and Kyosho or nay other large brand) as parts and warranties are hard to carry out in Australia as the field of RC is very limited.

Rach, depends if you want a new or an ex-racing car. If you are joining a club and will regularly race, then I'd strongly suggest an ex-racers car. If you just care to take your model out and practice, then perhaps there's a hobby spec out there.

Inferno's are great and in your price bracket but you can't play on race day. You'll have a blast keeping the neighborhood on edge and there's no need for starter boxes, fuel bottle, glow starter and screwdriver and you're off!! You'll eventually wear out the clutch and have to go shopping for bits and pieces.

Now if you really want to be in charge of 40,000rpm frankly, it's closer to 6000 dollars to race regularly than it is 600, that doesn't mean you cant buy an older race spec car with spares, Mugen MTX4 bargains will be plentiful soon, haggle over servos, throw in some old tyres and hold a few pennies in the kitty for some last minute essentials... see you at the track!

Last edited by blis; 10-12-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: PS: There's very little warranty on RC cars.
Old 10-12-2010, 01:40 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default ofna

id go ofna get a hyper 7 there beasts fast handle great very competitive cant go wrong for the price
Old 10-12-2010, 02:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by blis
depends if you want a new or an ex-racing car. If you are joining a club and will regularly race, then I'd strongly suggest an ex-racers car. If you just care to take your model out and practice, then perhaps there's a hobby spec out there.
Wait so what's the difference, do you mean it has custom parts? I'm a newbie at all this and basically I want to be able to drive it around my neighbourhood but also be able to race occassionally, say like 2-4 times a month? I'll also just take it down to the track to practice.

If I buy an ex-racers car won't it be less reliable to its large amount of use?
Old 10-12-2010, 02:23 AM
Tech Initiate

My bro just got a LRP S8BX RTR from RC Hobbies in Sydney for $409 on special plus free shipping,it seems like a pretty good buggy and has some good reviews,

http://rchobbies.com.au/store/produc...ducts_id=35176
Old 10-12-2010, 02:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Oh sorry, forgot to mention I'm looking for a on road nitro car not buggy or truck.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

According to your list, this should do. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXZWY6**&P=SM
Old 10-12-2010, 05:15 AM
Tech Rookie

@Previous

Yes, I too looked into that. I hear its only great at going flat out straight and is useless at turning, otherwise it would've been perfect. Any experiences with the Traxxas 4-tec?
Old 10-12-2010, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Wait so what's the difference, do you mean it has custom parts? I'm a newbie at all this and basically I want to be able to drive it around my neighbourhood but also be able to race occassionally, say like 2-4 times a month? I'll also just take it down to the track to practice.

If I buy an ex-racers car won't it be less reliable to its large amount of use?
A 1:10 onroad race spec car isnt necessarily hopped up.. it's more to do with construction and durability. MTX4's are the most robust cars Ive seen to date and way too fast for the neighborhood. Get down to your nearest track and take a look at how they a constructed, how the transmission systems work its an engine and needs a clutch, they are belt driven and require considerable maintenance.

Infernos are shaft driven and a Kyosho FW05 might be worth a peek if fun is what you are after. you can race a fw05 it's a 200mm tourer.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey, so does this mean I can't race the Traxxas Nitro 4 Tec? My local track says .12 engines or lower and I think the 3.3 of the traxxas work out to be about .19?

The MTX-4's are the most common cars on my local track, is there anything that could go better?

Cheers for the help so far!
Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 PM
Tech Elite

Hey, so does this mean I can't race the Traxxas Nitro 4 Tec? My local track says .12 engines or lower and I think the 3.3 of the traxxas work out to be about .19?

The MTX-4's are the most common cars on my local track, is there anything that could go better?

Cheers for the help so far!

To my knowledge I havent seen any 1:8 racing other than the IFMAR spec 1:8's and I dont think that's what you're after.

To give you an idea, I have a rolling chassis Team Magic G4 with plenty of parts waiting for a newbie to start up.. Unfortunately they arent as popular as mugens for parts and support and are not as robust.

I seriously recommend you go to a meeting for a look and compare the differences between a race spec and hobby car. It'd be unwise to just buy something without knowing the specs we race to. You may find that the racing thing isnt for you.

Look at the clutch systems, the transmission, see how much work goes into them and get a feel for the racing environment and make your decision as to which way you will roll.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Smile

Hey, thanks for the heads up!

I've been to my local track and I think I would enjoy maintaining and tuning the cars once I figure out how.

If I do race it will be at:

www[dot]qrccra[dot]org[dot]au (remove the spaces as I can't post URL's yet Also, it doesn't work without the WWW's)

Have a look at the cars section, just click on the classes not the rules because the links for the rules pages don't work. And tell me what you think.

So, you can't take hobby spec cars against race spec cars, I assume?
I was actually looking into buying the Traxxas 4-tec as it is completely RTR due to this being my first car but since I can't race it I'm not sure anymore. I might still get it to race against friends and then buy a race spec car later.

If you could, what RTR would you recommend that CAN race? with a .12 engine. I believe the 1/8's don't have a limit.

Cheers!

PS: Remember I am trying to go for $600 or less for everything I need including radios. Which is why I was looking at the Traxxas Nitro 4-tec which doesn't seem like a good idea anymore? When I first started looking I was interested in the HPI RS4 Evo+ but they seem a bit slow...

Last edited by Rachm; 10-12-2010 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Read PS:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.