Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend an RTR Nitro On-Road for less than $600

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For proper racing 8th scale is limited to .21 and 10th scale is limited to .12, 10th scale will allow some kit engines for Gas or RTR classes though, some of which come in .15 or .18.

England Park Raceway at Brendale is very much a proper race track, it rewards the better class of cars, typically some of the toy or RTR cars don't often race real well, their durability often sends drivers home early, the better class of race cars take the hits easier and keep running.

But keep in mind when your new it's not hard to break anything, it just pays not to get discouraged when you do it, budgets and RTR are a tricky thing, not many RTR cars are all that great for racing, and most budgets can get blow out real quick unless your careful.

Best thing you can do is talk to people at the track on a race day or night, so you can get a full picture of options and what may be best for you to buy and race.

Edit: Also as far as anything RTR goes, only one I have seen perform well enough day in and out is the HOBAO Hyper GPX4, not many others seem to come close it for value overall vs performance.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

as bishop mentioned above, be prepared to sink more than 600 into this hobby, like for fuel , batteries and especially damage from crashes the first few outings.

i was also shocked to see people cutting their foam tyres the first few times, but it makes a big difference to the handling of the car even though it seems to be a waste
Old 10-12-2010, 11:42 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Rachm
Oh sorry, forgot to mention I'm looking for a on road nitro car not buggy or truck.

Thanks!
sorry dude for some reason i thought you wanted a 1/8 buggy,brain fade
Old 10-13-2010, 03:06 AM
Tech Elite

Hey, thanks for the heads up!

I've been to my local track and I think I would enjoy maintaining and tuning the cars once I figure out how.

If I do race it will be at:

www[dot]qrccra[dot]org[dot]au (remove the spaces as I can't post URL's yet Also, it doesn't work without the WWW's)

Have a look at the cars section, just click on the classes not the rules because the links for the rules pages don't work. And tell me what you think.

So, you can't take hobby spec cars against race spec cars, I assume?
I was actually looking into buying the Traxxas 4-tec as it is completely RTR due to this being my first car but since I can't race it I'm not sure anymore. I might still get it to race against friends and then buy a race spec car later.

If you could, what RTR would you recommend that CAN race? with a .12 engine. I believe the 1/8's don't have a limit.

Cheers!

PS: Remember I am trying to go for $600 or less for everything I need including radios. Which is why I was looking at the Traxxas Nitro 4-tec which doesn't seem like a good idea anymore? When I first started looking I was interested in the HPI RS4 Evo+ but they seem a bit slow...
heh... then you'll be racing against us

Bishop is correct, best "new" entry level is GPX4 not sure about the support. It being a pullstart which reduces the budget removing the starterbox and power. Remember to include a charger in your budget and some decent tools too.

I'd sell you a Team Magic for around 300 RTR but fear of having to say Im sorry Ill let you enjoy your research, after all, "you" have to like your car and buy it for the right reasons.

Come down and check out the range, the pros and cons etc.

Here are the specs :

http://www.qrccra.org.au/TheCars/Nov...1/Default.aspx
Old 10-13-2010, 03:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kai888
as bishop mentioned above, be prepared to sink more than 600 into this hobby, like for fuel , batteries and especially damage from crashes the first few outings.

i was also shocked to see people cutting their foam tyres the first few times, but it makes a big difference to the handling of the car even though it seems to be a waste
Kai... dont scare him off, after all, Maccas, Movie, commuting and a few drinks later... > $100
A set of tyres $50, $10 fuel, $30 noms and carbon sausage and coke!!! $100...

Hours of enjoyment at home, screws and bearings all over the kitchen table... a little dreamin while you tinker and tune.. forgetting to put the doggies in after a diff change... PRICELESS!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:01 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys,

Cheers for all the info, I had a look myself and I think I will probably go for the Hobao GPX4. Haha when I said $600, I meant $600 initial starting cost. I realise that I will ahve to spend more for parts than need replacing and fuel,tyres etc.

SO to sum this thread up,my best option is the Hobao GPX4. Yes? Also, is it RTR with radio or do I buy that seperately?

Cheers!

P.S: Nice to meet some locals I have lower running costs than you guys (can't drink just yet )
Old 10-13-2010, 07:55 PM
Tech Addict

I'm 99% sure it comes with a radio. The car's platform is excellent for an RTR car, I was in a somewhat local Championship, I have a RRR Evo2 and my friend has a MTX-3 with an '10 Nova 353. If my engine wasn't on it's way out, I would've placed better than 5th overall. The GPX4 with stock engine (Dynamite something) came first!! Just goes to show it's all about how you drive and what setup you have. Then comes the engine
Old 10-15-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey thanks!
It looks like if I actually decide to buy a race spec car I will go with the GPX4. However, I''m thinking of drifting with a hobby grade Traxxas 4-tec and also jsut bashing around in a carpark as the maintenance on race cars is high and I think I should enter thsi hobby with something low.

Does anyone know if there are limits on what you can drift at the indoor Brendale track and if I can take it round the main outdoor track for fun?
Old 10-15-2010, 04:19 AM
Tech Elite

Hey thanks!
It looks like if I actually decide to buy a race spec car I will go with the GPX4. However, I''m thinking of drifting with a hobby grade Traxxas 4-tec and also jsut bashing around in a carpark as the maintenance on race cars is high and I think I should enter thsi hobby with something low.

Does anyone know if there are limits on what you can drift at the indoor Brendale track and if I can take it round the main outdoor track for fun?
Drifters have locked diffs, a little too aggressive on rubbers but hey, it'll run! Chat with Jeff he'll help you out, drifting is more affordable and good on rainy days!!!!
Old 10-15-2010, 05:18 AM
Tech Rookie

I could make/buy ABS "tyres". Yeah, I reckon the economical choice is good as my current $10/hr job is hard enough to save up with as it is...
Old 10-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

I'm after this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....WAX:IT&afsrc=1 was looking at some spare tyres and a humnp pack would these be ok

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Jaco-1-10...item5adc83890e

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/1300mAh-6V-Re...item3c9c1e109d

anything else I should buy for the car?

cheers
Old 10-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Oh sure, just hijack my thread
Old 10-18-2010, 02:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Oh, looks like I'm going with the RTR Traxxas Nitro 4-Tec for bashing around and drifting!

Cheers for all your help!
Old 10-18-2010, 08:10 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)
Exclamation

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Don't do it to yourself man. Once you run it and take it to the track your gonna kick yourself. Why anyone hasn't suggested a Team Associated NTC3 is beyond me. A slightly outdated car but waaaay better than anything Traxxas and better than an HPI RS4. Fast and competitive with full adjustability, cheap readily available parts and built like a tank. Best of all you can grab it for $300 and do the regular upgrades from the door. First thing I would suggest for any RTR is a 6.0 volt flat rechargeable battery pack (makes servos faster, lasts longer, and rechargeable) and Prophet sport charger for @ $20 ea. Front blade swaybar for $30 and an Associated bump box for $90 (2 $20 7.2 batteries for it). Even with all that your under the $600 dollar mark and can get fuel, tires, and possibly a controller for that much (DX3E DSM). Now thats a nice setup with all brand new stuff that you can bash around the neighborhood during the week and show up on Sunday with your head up. I'm sure racers and bashers can all agree this is a great car to start off with. I'll compare apples and oranges for a sec and say if I was looking for my first motorcycle I wouldn't start off with a Hyabusa but I wouldn't settle for a Ninja 250 either... right in the middle. Hope it helps
Old 10-18-2010, 08:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lapper
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Don't do it to yourself man. Once you run it and take it to the track your gonna kick yourself. Why anyone hasn't suggested a Team Associated NTC3 is beyond me. A slightly outdated car but waaaay better than anything Traxxas and better than an HPI RS4. Fast and competitive with full adjustability, cheap readily available parts and built like a tank. Best of all you can grab it for $300 and do the regular upgrades from the door. First thing I would suggest for any RTR is a 6.0 volt flat rechargeable battery pack (makes servos faster, lasts longer, and rechargeable) and Prophet sport charger for @ $20 ea. Front blade swaybar for $30 and an Associated bump box for $90 (2 $20 7.2 batteries for it). Even with all that your under the $600 dollar mark and can get fuel, tires, and possibly a controller for that much (DX3E DSM). Now thats a nice setup with all brand new stuff that you can bash around the neighborhood during the week and show up on Sunday with your head up. I'm sure racers and bashers can all agree this is a great car to start off with. I'll compare apples and oranges for a sec and say if I was looking for my first motorcycle I wouldn't start off with a Hyabusa but I wouldn't settle for a Ninja 250 either... right in the middle. Hope it helps
i agree ntc3 is way better then the 4 tec they suck go xray

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.