Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So i've been looking into a whole new car for 1/10

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:42 PM
Tech Addict

Default So i've been looking into a whole new car for 1/10

I'm currently running a Kyosho V-One RRR WC Team Edition. Absolutely nothing at all wrong with it, still runs fine and I suppose could still be competitive. However, I have the itch to upgrade anyway as soon as funds allow for it. I don't know for sure when but there is no if here, I'm definitely going to be building a new kit. My friend will also likely be buying a kit soonish as well, probably whatever I get so we can help each other out as we learn more etc. I don't think it matters but I've been thinking of using a Max Power XXL3 WC or a Murnan Modified RBM3. I haven't decided and yes either one would be more than I need but I'm sort of like Tim Allen and want "Moar Powar!"

So here's my slight dilemma. I don't know what kit I want. I've looked at everything. I've looked at the V-One RRR Evo. 2 Shimo Edition, the NT1 WC edition, and the Serpent 733 closely. Those are the ones I'm deciding between as of now. I have a few problems though. First, the parts availability locally is pretty much zero. Not one hobby shop that I've found around stocks much if anything for any of these kits in regards to spare parts. Having said that I see that a lot of Serpent spare parts are on back order everywhere. It's like, certain things cannot be found online. Is the parts availability and pricing vastly different between these?

Also I honestly have no clue about which kit comes more out of the box ready to go. What I mean is sometimes a kit comes with more of the hop-up and option parts that were popular and no longer need to be purchased separately. I know each of these is top tier kits, but like I know the Shimo Edition RRR comes with a few items the Evo 2 does not etc. Which of these kits really comes more hooked up? I suppose that question is a bit hard to answer but i appreciate opinions on it.

Last but not least, a 2 part question. Are any of these 3 kits going to be easier to build and work on for things like belt changes and the like and is any of them vastly different in terms of weight?

I do understand this question is asked like 10 times a month and it's all going to be opinion. No car is better than the other if you cannot drive etc. I have a unique situation perhaps, because I am going to need to purchase all my stuff online more or less so going on parts availability is out the window. The local places can order me stuff, but I'm less than thrilled with the staff (if you can call kids who talk to their buddies on the phone and don't acknowledge your presence, staff). I had one guy at one of the local shops tell me that you have to import Kyosho parts for my V-One RRR from japan and it takes like 3 months. He claimed he had a customer already on month 2 for a couple items for his vehicle. Turns out I could hop online and order them myself and have them in 2 days The other shops in the area are much more helpful, but admittedly they support off-road a bit more because it's more popular around here. They'll gladly order whatever I need if I ask for it, but again they have nothing in the way of spares/hop-ups/option parts for on-road (except for the traxxas 4-tec )

So I appreciate any feedback and suggestions the experts here have for me. I apologize for the long read as well, but I always appreciate your time and help. Best forum I've ever been a member of.
Old 09-24-2010, 01:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

All the top cars are ready to go right out of the box. Yes there are options available for all of them but they are not needed.

Since local parts availability could be an issue, whatever is most popular at your track would be a good way to go. Xray is popular and a great durable car so hard to go wrong there.

Me, I like to be a bit different so if you are like me, get a Shepherd.

If you want to wait another year, wait for the Mugen.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wingracer
All the top cars are ready to go right out of the box. Yes there are options available for all of them but they are not needed.

Since local parts availability could be an issue, whatever is most popular at your track would be a good way to go. Xray is popular and a great durable car so hard to go wrong there.

Me, I like to be a bit different so if you are like me, get a Shepherd.

If you want to wait another year, wait for the Mugen.
Would you say the Xray is more durable than the Kyosho or Serpent? That's something I forgot to ask in my post.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

It appears to be to me just from observation. I haven't owned either.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by wingracer
It appears to be to me just from observation. I haven't owned either.
Well, that's something to keep in mind. Thank you.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Xray is definitely more durable than Serpent. Kyosho and Xray are right up there in durability, but honestly, Xray's parts have much less wear through racing compared to Kyosho.

I have owned many cars in the past, from MTX4, 720, RRR, NT1, back and forth. Honestly, Xrays quality has not been met by ANY of the other car manufacturers in my opinion.

I have seen a 733 and a NT1 been built side by side, and honestly, if a dremel wasn't near the 733, it would not have rolled freely. Some local drivers say that this problem has been corrected with the latest batches of cars.

The NT1 fitted perfectly right out of the box. I have built two NT1s and one T3, and I can honestly say, you will NEVER be disappointed with Xray's quality and performance.

I forgot to mention, the belts on the NT1 last a lifetime if they are setup properly (very loose).
Old 09-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riketsu

The NT1 fitted perfectly right out of the box. I have built two NT1s and one T3, and I can honestly say, you will NEVER be disappointed with Xray's quality and performance.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Xray is definitely more durable than Serpent. Kyosho and Xray are right up there in durability, but honestly, Xray's parts have much less wear through racing compared to Kyosho.

I have owned many cars in the past, from MTX4, 720, RRR, NT1, back and forth. Honestly, Xrays quality has not been met by ANY of the other car manufacturers in my opinion.

I have seen a 733 and a NT1 been built side by side, and honestly, if a dremel wasn't near the 733, it would not have rolled freely. Some local drivers say that this problem has been corrected with the latest batches of cars.

I forgot to mention, the belts on the NT1 last a lifetime if they are setup properly (very loose).
Are you sure that the person who built it new what they were doing? I got my S733 when it first came out, one from the first batch, and I didnt have any problems building it, and its the freest rolling car Ive ever built, with no work. Not only that, the car is very easy to work on, and as far as part durability is concerned, its very durable and strong too.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrodude
Are you sure that the person who built it new what they were doing? I got my S733 when it first came out, one from the first batch, and I didnt have any problems building it, and its the freest rolling car Ive ever built, with no work. Not only that, the car is very easy to work on, and as far as part durability is concerned, its very durable and strong too.
Yes. He is a factory driver and has been racing for over many years. Even the S distributor said that the front diff bulkhead had to be dremeled so it would roll freely.

Its been a year since the 733 has been out, I would assume all glitches were corrected. The car that I am talking about was built around February.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Addict

Ouch, but everyone has a lemon out the door once in a while no matter how good the manufacturer. Are there any hop-up or option parts for the NT1 that would be considered necessary or very smart to look into and get?
Old 09-24-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Yes. He is a factory driver and has been racing for over many years. Even the S distributor said that the front diff bulkhead had to be dremeled so it would roll freely.

Its been a year since the 733 has been out, I would assume all glitches were corrected. The car that I am talking about was built around February.
Strange, I built mine for the 09 nats and didnt have any problems, it worked fine from the get go.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:15 PM
Tech Addict

Strange, I built mine for the 09 nats and didnt have any problems, it worked fine from the get go.
Like I said, everyone has a lemon at some point no matter what. Maybe he got one that was not right, maybe it was right and simply an error on the builder's part who knows. I don't take that as a knock against serpent in any way.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Wouldnt say strange i built 3 kits from the first batch through to 2 upgrade batchs , all had the same sort of binding issue , you can not compare the 733 to any other car . dermal junkies car it was . but nt1 110% perfect out of the box . and true belts last a life time so does the parts . but at the end of the day each to there own
Old 09-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Tech Addict

It seems like the 733 has some issues or should I say more fairly, may have had some issues. The NT1 seems to be solid and obviously the RRR is the same solid design as it ever was.

I have a question for NT1 owners, how are the spur gears attached to the shaft? Are they held on via a screw like the RRR and Serpent or are they attached via a C or E clip?
Old 09-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.