R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Serpent 950R (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/43395-serpent-950r.html)

Arno 06-22-2004 10:44 AM

Serpent 950R

Well here it is I've tried to find a 950R thread but I couldn't, I only found a 950 thread. So let's all try to help each other out with any problems or questions we have with the Serpent 950R.

tomkelley 06-23-2004 06:45 AM

Good idea, it seems like the 710 thread already has 12,991 posts. A car which was released after the 710. Half of which are by initial D. Perhaps there's more discussion over the tsn side of things, but it would be cool if we could end up with a 950r faq, like the 710 folks made.

My 950R is a upgrade from the 950. It doesn't have the laydown throttle radio tray. Any reason why the laydown throttle servo is any better? I basically feel it doesn't have any significant advantages.

Here's a good question, what spares would be recommended to come to the track for a typical 2 day race weekend? What optionals?

On the motor side of things, my 950 came with a ev5 ms, after only going through 5 racing weekends the bushing on the wristpin broke up, anyone else experiencing problems with motors, or am I not tuning properly?

On the clutch side, my flywheel pins came out, that same day another driver experienced the same problem, anyone else experienceing these issues?

serpentsixty9 06-23-2004 07:47 AM

I love my 950r, its such a tunable capable race machine. However, it did require alot of hand fitting when building it. The belts almost didn't fit, because they were so stiff. Once it was all together, i thought it would loosen up after a couple of tanks, and it did, now its nice and loose and rolls forever. I shoved a JP modified onroad in it, and it's a complete animal. One thing i need to fix however is the pinions on the clutchbell. I tightened them as hard as i could, but the 1st speed pinion keeps wobbling loose when the engine idles, and it ends up stuck against the 2nd gear pinion, and they're almost stuck together, instead of having a 2-3 mm gap. I'm thinking of thread locking the pinions to the clutchbell, anyone else have this problem? Other than this, i've had no probs whatsoever.

tomkelley 06-23-2004 08:00 AM

Threadlock the pinions to the clutch bell, get new clutch bells for your gear combos and be done with it.

Arno 06-23-2004 10:19 AM

Originally posted by tomkelley
Good idea, it seems like the 710 thread already has 12,991 posts. A car which was released after the 710. Half of which are by initial D. Perhaps there's more discussion over the tsn side of things, but it would be cool if we could end up with a 950r faq, like the 710 folks made.

My 950R is a upgrade from the 950. It doesn't have the laydown throttle radio tray. Any reason why the laydown throttle servo is any better? I basically feel it doesn't have any significant advantages.

Here's a good question, what spares would be recommended to come to the track for a typical 2 day race weekend? What optionals?

On the motor side of things, my 950 came with a ev5 ms, after only going through 5 racing weekends the bushing on the wristpin broke up, anyone else experiencing problems with motors, or am I not tuning properly?

On the clutch side, my flywheel pins came out, that same day another driver experienced the same problem, anyone else experienceing these issues?

Hello Tom,
I personally don't like the laydown throttle servo because it sticks out to much and if you get hit on that side the ears break off the servo case, it's happened to me 3 times allready:mad:.

For the spares all tracks in the states move clockwise so, I usually need F/R lower left arms, F/R left uprights, bearing block front left, all of your belts, a couple of extra bearings, thrust bearing, clutch pad, and whatever else you think you might need.

The motor side I have never experienced that problem. Was the engine brand new when you got it?

On the clutch side that's happened to me but I caught it before it came all the way out and I just tapped them back in.
But I love my 950R I have not owned any thing else but Serpents and I will never go to another make. :D

tomkelley 06-23-2004 10:28 AM

Originally posted by superserpent

The motor side I have never experienced that problem. Was the engine brand new when you got it?

Brand new with the kit. Actually the whole car used from a friend, and I was with him at every race he drove the car. He had already assembled a 2nd 950R from a kit. My first time out with it I kept blowing glow plugs and stalling, upon teardown i realized what happend. He might have had the bottom end too lean, as thats what happend the last race he ran before he sold to me.

serpentsixty9 06-23-2004 10:38 AM

yah, i think the 950r is serpents best up to date. It's got all the latest and greatest hopups slammed in one package, and i got mine for a really great price. The only thing i thought serpent would include with the kit is a transponder holder, i mean, i know they have the star one for sale, but if i'm going to be spending $500 on a kit, i'd at least expect to have a small circle cut piece for a transponder. I took one off my mrx3 and put it where the mounts are for the star one, and it fits, and it works, so i kept it on lol. BTW, doew anyone know where i can find the star cut one for sale?

Arno 06-23-2004 10:46 AM

Brand new with the kit. Actually the whole car used from a friend, and I was with him at every race he drove the car. He had already assembled a 2nd 950R from a kit. My first time out with it I kept blowing glow plugs and stalling, upon teardown i realized what happend. He might have had the bottom end too lean, as thats what happend the last race he ran before he sold to me.

The stalling I would say you guy sprobably had it tuned wrong, because before this EVO5 KHM that I have right now I had that EVO5 MS and I loved it. That engine is very user friendly, very easy to tune. But the blowing glow plugs you conrod might be loose on the crank pin so the piston might be getting pushed up to high. check the conrod if it is loose on the crankpin change the conrod, if that doesn't help try to add a head shim.

tomkelley 06-23-2004 11:03 AM

When I pulled the head off, I noticed bushing material was all over. Yeah I already replaced the connecting rod. The bushing on the wristpin was damaged. I haven't reasambled it yet, but I'm worried about bushing material inside the bearing, what if i just spray wd40 in there?

I'm just wondering if it was poor tuning that made it stress the bushing out to cause it to fail.

Arno 06-23-2004 11:12 AM

Originally posted by serpentsixty9
yah, i think the 950r is serpents best up to date. It's got all the latest and greatest hopups slammed in one package, and i got mine for a really great price. The only thing i thought serpent would include with the kit is a transponder holder, i mean, i know they have the star one for sale, but if i'm going to be spending $500 on a kit, i'd at least expect to have a small circle cut piece for a transponder. I took one off my mrx3 and put it where the mounts are for the star one, and it fits, and it works, so i kept it on lol. BTW, doew anyone know where i can find the star cut one for sale?

You can go to (www.ashfordhobby.com) or call him, his name is Robert, the part number is SER 1666 that is the star, you use this with the personal transponder or the ones with body pins. His number is 800-380-6517.

Arno 06-23-2004 11:20 AM

When I pulled the head off, I noticed bushing material was all over. Yeah I already replaced the connecting rod. The bushing on the wristpin was damaged. I haven't reasambled it yet, but I'm worried about bushing material inside the bearing, what if i just spray wd40 in there?

I'm just wondering if it was poor tuning that made it stress the bushing out to cause it to fail.

It could very possibly poor tuning, I really don't know how he broke the motor in or what gears he used and how big the track was he could of very easily been over reving the motor to its limit maybe even passed its limit.
But I think if you can pull the bearings off the case you should clean the case with denatured alcohol then put the bearings back on. If you can't or don't want to take the bearings off the case then just clean the case with what ever fuel that you use to run that engine to get all the bushing material out.

SERPENTFREAK69 06-23-2004 07:34 PM

i have a MS EVO5

IN MY 950 AND I HAVE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT,ITS A GREAT MOTOR.I AM THINKING OF UP GRADING MY 950 TO A 950R...WHAT DO U GUYS THINK I SHOULD DO?

MrChan 06-23-2004 08:47 PM

My 950R

http://www.rc4fun.com/rc4fun_images/chan/950-2.gif

serpentsixty9 06-23-2004 08:59 PM

very slick paintjob!!:nod: is that a novamax .21 i spy?

MrChan 06-23-2004 09:02 PM

Originally posted by serpentsixty9
very slick paintjob!!:nod: is that a novamax .21 i spy?
Yeah it is NovaMAX but already spoiled due to conrod broke during the race