jumping gear

Old 08-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default jumping gear

hi all, my gear jumps from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 all the time... Is no top speed... Sounds like something blocking engine. Just wonder can be that because my engine is too lean on the bottom? Engine is mega zx .12. Car serpent 720. I just fitted there carb from nova made for mega mf.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:14 AM
Tech Lord

Be sure to adjust the shoes of the gearbox very close to the 2nd gear housing. If the gap is to large you will get this.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:23 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by roger999
hi all, my gear jumps from 1 to 2 and 2 to 1 all the time... Is no top speed... Sounds like something blocking engine. Just wonder can be that because my engine is too lean on the bottom? Engine is mega zx .12. Car serpent 720. I just fitted there carb from nova made for mega mf.
1).check the condition of the one-way bearing
2).check the 2sp shoes and bell for excessive wear. (if shoes are worn out, you wont have a consistent change) I would change shoes and bell. Also make sure you have a minimum gap between shoes and bell without any touch between these 2.

Sometimes its about the track and when having a fast turn you have this kind of shifting (jumps to second, then back in first). If this is the case, i would try to make shifting a little earlier so you can pass the turn with 2nd gear. If this happens at the straight, then something is wrong with 1) or 2) above.

and btw, the zx12 isnt happy when its too lean on bottom actually it likes a bit richer than other motors. however this has nothing to do with your problem.

hope it helps
Old 08-23-2010, 04:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

ok thanks, so you mean that problem is with gearbox not with carb? Because i didn't change gearbox settings, i left it same like for orion... Just my orion is gone (back bearing faild) so i had old zx with no head button and i put head button from orion and carb from nova based mf... And its happened... Now i put carb from orion and ill check it on track again... In hand seems to be ok... On full trottle...
Old 08-23-2010, 05:44 AM
Tech Lord

Did you check the real head clearance with the other head button?
Old 08-23-2010, 06:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

no have no old button, so i fit orion button and underhead gaskets... You mean can be wrong clerance there?
Old 08-23-2010, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by roger999
no have no old button, so i fit orion button and underhead gaskets... You mean can be wrong clerance there?
yes head clearance maybe wrong with the new button, you ll have to check it. Do your self a favor and buy a button for zx12. Its the same as picco. btw which version zx do you have? the very first one? (DSI?) if you have dsII or later, you dont really need a nova carb, it works just fine with the stock one.

But i still cant find in which way the motor could affect up-down gearing.

edit: which orion model do you have? there was a version after the first orion engine, which was made by picco, do you have this one?

Last edited by gfilos; 08-23-2010 at 07:11 AM. Reason: info
Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 AM
Tech Lord

Yes, take a piece of 1mm solder, bend it into a L-shape and put it into the plughole so the endtip is touching the chrome on the cilinder. Turn the flywheel arround so the solder will be squeezed between piston and button, messure the squeezed solder, with a Picco I believe the thickness must be 0.5~0.6 mm depending the size of the head. If it is far off 0.5mm you have to change it.

If it is difficult to get the solder into the plughole just remove the heatsink and screw only the button head tight with the screws using some spacers.
Old 08-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Check one-way clutch. O/W clutch only function on load or acceleration. Clean and lube O/W and shaft. Remove 2speed shoes, and clean them with Scotts Brite. Adjusting screws, both bottom out, the 4 turns counterclockwise for starting out. Adjust to engine tuned. Speed shoes should be adjusted equally.

Good Luck!!
Old 08-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by gfilos
yes head clearance maybe wrong with the new button, you ll have to check it. Do your self a favor and buy a button for zx12. Its the same as picco. btw which version zx do you have? the very first one? (DSI?) if you have dsII or later, you dont really need a nova carb, it works just fine with the stock one.

But i still cant find in which way the motor could affect up-down gearing.

edit: which orion model do you have? there was a version after the first orion engine, which was made by picco, do you have this one?
so i have zx ds II but dont have carb from that engine. i put carb from orion... orion is i hope from picco... i think i will buy that button for zx is not expensive but i hope is only one size it?
Old 08-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roelof
Yes, take a piece of 1mm solder, bend it into a L-shape and put it into the plughole so the endtip is touching the chrome on the cilinder. Turn the flywheel arround so the solder will be squeezed between piston and button, messure the squeezed solder, with a Picco I believe the thickness must be 0.5~0.6 mm depending the size of the head. If it is far off 0.5mm you have to change it.

If it is difficult to get the solder into the plughole just remove the heatsink and screw only the button head tight with the screws using some spacers.
if i good understand... space between piston and button should be 0.5-0.6 mm? Is that right? i Hope ill find 1mm solder... if not can i cut it somehow? i just checked and i have 1.5 mm solder.... use it?

Last edited by roger999; 08-23-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:39 AM
Tech Lord

Should work.....

Just squeeze it a bit with a pliers and try to get the flat spot in the line of the piston.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Roelof
Should work.....

Just squeeze it a bit with a pliers and try to get the flat spot in the line of the piston.
ok... so is about 0.64 - 0.66.... i checked it again with bigger piece of solder and was about 0.7... so i took out one gasket and now is about 0.5-0.52... is very difficult check it right but for sure is not less than 0.5. Leave it or put one more gasket 0.1?

Ok, i have done it... just found view mega engine with parts and there is under button 2 gaskets 0.1 and 0.2 like in my zx now... i hope that button is same like in picco engines... clearance is about <0.5...

Last edited by roger999; 08-23-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:10 AM
Tech Lord

A to large clearance will give a low power engine, when fiering up and running it just cheack the coloring of the piston and buttonhead and the shape of the wire in the glowplug.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

ok what color should be ?

tomorrow ill check it on track (if the weather will let me do it), i have changed gearbox like somebody said b4... i hope will be good

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.