Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Change brand of plug - issue >

Change brand of plug - issue

Change brand of plug - issue

Old 08-17-2010, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default Change brand of plug - issue

Hi there,

could someone please advise on glow plug selection? I am struggeling a bit here.

The scenario: Running a Nova Flash and a Collari with Nova plugs 7 TGF. Both engines run well with 0,7mm head gap.
Because on the ongoing issues with Nova plugs (they burn out after a long run) i wanted to switch. As they have been recommended here I tested a Sirio 7 and a GRP 7. I did tune the engines with the Nova plug first, pulled into the pits and changed for one of the other types by a time. With both alternative plugs the engines were slow and did not reach high rpm. I had to close the HSN quite a bit (Quarter of a turn) but still had not the same power as before. Stopped the experiment there and went back to Nova 7 - Engines ran fine again.

Here is my question: If the engine runs fine with the Nova 7 (read plug after run - color and element spot on) it is certainly not a good idea to lean the engine just to get them to rev properly with a different plug. What else can I do?

Thanks and best regards, Stefan
Old 08-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

different brands of plugs are not the same eg a 7nova is not a 7rb, i didnt really think it was a bad thing to lean it out some more, with a colder plug you can lean it out quite a bit more than say with a hot plug, (that i only with my limited experience dont quote me 100%). if you are looking for a different brand of plug to run, i have changed to O'donnel in the RB tc10rc and nova 3sct-tuned and i have had good results with these plugs, they last for ever.

mitch
Old 08-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
Hi there,

could someone please advise on glow plug selection? I am struggeling a bit here.

The scenario: Running a Nova Flash and a Collari with Nova plugs 7 TGF. Both engines run well with 0,7mm head gap.
Because on the ongoing issues with Nova plugs (they burn out after a long run) i wanted to switch. As they have been recommended here I tested a Sirio 7 and a GRP 7. I did tune the engines with the Nova plug first, pulled into the pits and changed for one of the other types by a time. With both alternative plugs the engines were slow and did not reach high rpm. I had to close the HSN quite a bit (Quarter of a turn) but still had not the same power as before. Stopped the experiment there and went back to Nova 7 - Engines ran fine again.

Here is my question: If the engine runs fine with the Nova 7 (read plug after run - color and element spot on) it is certainly not a good idea to lean the engine just to get them to rev properly with a different plug. What else can I do?

Thanks and best regards, Stefan
Try the new Nova C7TGH or C8TGH. The wire is stronger and more durable. BTW Nova upgraded all of their Gold Turbo plugs 3-4 months ago. All of the CxTGx plugs are now better.

Also, the Xceed XPT C7 plug is excellent.

One more thing, we always add a 0.1mm shim to our .21 engines. We run at sea level and the engines run much better with the extra shim. Same power, better fuel economy and the plugs look shiny even after hard runs.
Old 08-17-2010, 07:31 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jdesoto
Try the new Nova C7TGH or C8TGH. The wire is stronger and more durable. BTW Nova upgraded all of their Gold Turbo plugs 3-4 months ago. All of the CxTGx plugs are now better.
That's good to hear. As much as I love Nova, their plugs have been junk the last couple years.