R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Anyone here also using locked rear differential on 200mm GP? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/42580-anyone-here-also-using-locked-rear-differential-200mm-gp.html)

ttso 06-11-2004 08:16 AM

Anyone here also using locked rear differential on 200mm GP?

Last weekend my V1RR rear differential suddenly locked for no reason (I have no clue what cause it). I immediately feel different driving characteristic on my V1RR and I like it (small controllable drafting while entering the corner). The only problem I found is my rear tires wear much faster than before.

Anyone here also using locked rear differential on 200mm GP? I know all (or almost) 1/8 GP using no rear differential. How about locked rear differential on 200mm GP? Beside rear tires wear much faster, is there any other con?

Thanks.

mckrooz 06-11-2004 10:07 AM

More fuel consumption. Because of the driving style needed to drive the solid, you need to stay on throttle more than if you had a diff.

jeffreylin 06-11-2004 10:21 AM

Instead of using a fully locked one, you can use a limited slip diff like the TCD gear set from Kyosho that will provide diff action going into a corner but locks up when power is applied.

compaq888 06-11-2004 10:22 PM

Originally posted by jeffreylin
Instead of using a fully locked one, you can use a limited slip diff like the TCD gear set from Kyosho that will provide diff action going into a corner but locks up when power is applied.
hmm:sneaky:

mckrooz 06-12-2004 12:03 AM

Originally posted by jeffreylin
<cough>Negative Diff<cough>

ianhobbies 06-13-2004 02:19 AM

solid axl

u can't use this on a technical track.. just larger sweeping tracks

tukibird 06-14-2004 03:55 AM

sorry to ask but what does the Negative Diff do ? is it some thing like the kyosho TCD(LSD) ? and who makes it ? any info abt the characteristics on both types ?

teammpp 06-14-2004 06:04 AM

Originally posted by tukibird
sorry to ask but what does the Negative Diff do ? is it some thing like the kyosho TCD(LSD) ? and who makes it ? any info abt the characteristics on both types ?
The negative diff is made by Kawahara. Just the same as the Kyosho LSD.

It acts like a normal diff at slow rpm during the corner and once it reaches a certain rpm it locks like a solid axle. Uses a shoe type clutch same as the gearbox.

tukibird 06-14-2004 08:38 AM

thanks Palmaris Europe so which is the better diff to get ? some of my friends who use the kyosho lsd said its not very good ..... not sure abt the Kawahara diff know the web page for the Kawahara diff ?

Thanks

teammpp 06-14-2004 08:48 AM

thanks Palmaris Europe so which is the better diff to get ? some of my friends who use the kyosho lsd said its not very good ..... not sure abt the Kawahara diff know the web page for the Kawahara diff ?

Thanks

I would definately say the Kawahara unit is better. I personally never bother with them. Both units add a lot of rotation weight which hurts on tight tracks. They are better suited to faster flowing tracks with a couple of tight turns.

The website is www.kawahara-racing.co.jp

tukibird 06-14-2004 08:52 AM

know anyone who run 2 lsd in thier car ?
and thanks for the web page ;)

teammpp 06-14-2004 08:56 AM

know anyone who run 2 lsd in thier car ?
and thanks for the web page ;)

Never seen it done before. Might be something to look into. Would need to set properly or it would cause serious handling problems in the corners.

tukibird 06-14-2004 09:02 AM

Thanks again will look around to see anyone using 2 lsd to run want to know how it runs