Community
Wiki Posts
Search

=( Damaged Exhaust Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Tech Adept

Default =( Damaged Exhaust Pipe

I had a accident the other day and was curious to what were some of the disadvantages to a bent or smashed pipe or missing stinger? Do I need to go buy another pipe or can I just keep using this one? I heard of a method years ago where you could fill up a badly damaged tuned pipe with water and seal the stinger and manifold and put it in the freezer and it would expand, but I don't think I will try that.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

1st I feel for you I hate when that happens.

The freezer water trick does work but for that amount of damage you will have to do it a few times to get the stinger in better shape.

The only problem I have had with the freezer remedy is the more times you have to refreeze it the more the whole pipe will swell.

I would give it a try, what you have to lose.

Maybe put a little JB weld between the stinger and pipe next time

GL
Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

No need for the freezer on this. simple fix here is heat the pipe up eg run engine, heat gun, heat torch etc grab the stinger firmly and pull it out it's aluminum so will be soft once warm just take your time doing it should be ok
Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Adept

the heat method seems like a good idea for the meantime...

http://www.rcplanet.com/THS_Racing_O...thpths8010.htm

once I save up some more cash I'll get this pipe ...
Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 PM
Tech Regular

Heat is definitely the best answer. I personally take a heavy screw driver that fits through the stinger and gradually pull out and to the left. Do this slowly with even force. I think you will be amazed how the pipe will pop out around the stinger. However make sure you don't go to far in the direction of the pull out and to the left. Because if you try to bend the stinger back into the correct angle, the pipe will collapse once again. I will tell you I have a pipe I am using on my engine now and I have been hit twice on this pipe and both time I have fixed it and the pipe works just as great as before.

I have tried the water and the freezer thing and just never had any luck. I have had friends that did this back in the eighties and they did it successfully. I just could never get it to work. But that is just me.

It will work out for you. Just heat, time and patience placed all together at the same time and you will save this pipe easily!!

Have Fun and Good Racing!

Sam
Old 08-03-2010, 12:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

The freezer trick does work but you have to keep an eye on it. Like others have said, it can swell up if left in the freezer too long. Heating it up sounds like a good idea..................
Old 08-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

a related topic question..

guys that put epoxy around the exhuast tip to help protect/strength from dinting in..

does it really work/worth it?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:43 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by LiL_JaSoN
a related topic question..

guys that put epoxy around the exhuast tip to help protect/strength from dinting in..

does it really work/worth it?
for sure mate, works a charm! i do it to all of my pipes, since i have been doing it no more bent stingers!! if your looking to give it a go the stuff you use is called knead-it. most hardware stores will have it.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Team-RTR
for sure mate, works a charm! i do it to all of my pipes, since i have been doing it no more bent stingers!! if your looking to give it a go the stuff you use is called knead-it. most hardware stores will have it.
thanks mate.. ill check it out @ bunnings.