Community
Wiki Posts
Search

pipe too long

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Tech Adept

Default pipe too long

I am facing a problem with my sirio pipe being too long in my serpent (it touches the steering rod end). i have
shaved down the front of the pipe a little, but it needs a bit more. So, i have
the problem that if i shave it more, the grub screw will become too small
maybe one-thread will be left. I was thinking dont mounting this grub screw
and mount a silicone tube under the pipe at the exhaust spring and secure
the pipe with a collar. Any othe suggestions would be usefull..
Old 08-01-2010, 04:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default pipe too long

Originally Posted by gfilos
I am facing a problem with my sirio pipe being too long in my serpent (it touches the steering rod end). i have
shaved down the front of the pipe a little, but it needs a bit more. So, i have
the problem that if i shave it more, the grub screw will become too small
maybe one-thread will be left. I was thinking dont mounting this grub screw
and mount a silicone tube under the pipe at the exhaust spring and secure
the pipe with a collar. Any othe suggestions would be usefull..

Drill a small hole as close to the pipe as possible.<remove grub screw first>
Use your pipe hanger, and rebend it so it will go from the bottom of the pipe up.
Then use a small collet on top of the pipe hanger to prevent the pipe from raising up on the hanger.
If you are unable to bend the hanger this way, you can always install the hanger pointing down as long as you use a collet on the hanger to hold the pipe in place.
Once you do this, you can cut off the excess off the front of the pipe that is hitting your steering assembly.
You can also make a new pipe hanger with a right angle bend on it if you are unable to bend yours as needed
This happens a lot with the Serio engine/pipe systems
Old 08-01-2010, 05:54 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by brc358
Drill a small hole as close to the pipe as possible.<remove grub screw first>
Use your pipe hanger, and rebend it so it will go from the bottom of the pipe up.
Then use a small collet on top of the pipe hanger to prevent the pipe from raising up on the hanger.
If you are unable to bend the hanger this way, you can always install the hanger pointing down as long as you use a collet on the hanger to hold the pipe in place.
Once you do this, you can cut off the excess off the front of the pipe that is hitting your steering assembly.
You can also make a new pipe hanger with a right angle bend on it if you are unable to bend yours as needed
This happens a lot with the Serio engine/pipe systems
i am not sure i understood. Why should i drill a small hole? The spring exhaust holder is mounted into the pipe hole from bottom to top.
Do you mean to drill a new hole closer to the pipe so i can shave more material? I think that if i
shave the front of the pipe and let 1mm off the hole it will give the clearance i need. However, then i wont be able
to mount the grub screw so what i want to ask is if a collet is a safe way to prevent pipe going up. Btw i am using a bend xray exhaust spring which gives me
extra wire to mount a collet on the top of the pipe.

Another way is to get rid of this sirio pipe!
Old 08-01-2010, 06:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

i am not sure i understood. Why should i drill a small hole? The spring exhaust holder is mounted into the pipe hole from bottom to top.
Do you mean to drill a new hole closer to the pipe so i can shave more material? I think that if i
shave the front of the pipe and let 1mm off the hole it will give the clearance i need. However, then i wont be able
to mount the grub screw so what i want to ask is if a collet is a safe way to prevent pipe going up. Btw i am using a bend xray exhaust spring which gives me
extra wire to mount a collet on the top of the pipe.

Another way is to get rid of this sirio pipe!
You understood most of it, except the part about the collet. If you use a collet, you dont need the grub screw. You use the collet to keep the pipe from falling off of the pipe.

This is what the means by collet.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM748&P=7

So, you drill the extra hole right next to the pipe, put the wire hanger into the new hole, put the collet/stopper on the wire hanger, set it right up against the pipe, and tighten the grub screw on the stopper.

Then you just grind off the extra material from the pipe and the pipe doesnt hit the turnbuckle anymore.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:28 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nitrodude
You understood most of it, except the part about the collet. If you use a collet, you dont need the grub screw. You use the collet to keep the pipe from falling off of the pipe.

This is what the means by collet.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM748&P=7

So, you drill the extra hole right next to the pipe, put the wire hanger into the new hole, put the collet/stopper on the wire hanger, set it right up against the pipe, and tighten the grub screw on the stopper.

Then you just grind off the extra material from the pipe and the pipe doesnt hit the turnbuckle anymore.
Yes, this is what i was thinking but why to drill a new hole? there is a hole
designed for the wire hanger already there. I dont need opening a new. My
pipe will be secured by a collet at the top and by fuel tubing down to the hanger
so as to secure the pipe from going any under. And shave the front of the pipe until
going at about 1mm distance from the hanger hole.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Default pipe too long

Yes, this is what i was thinking but why to drill a new hole? there is a hole
designed for the wire hanger already there. I dont need opening a new. My
pipe will be secured by a collet at the top and by fuel tubing down to the hanger
so as to secure the pipe from going any under. And shave the front of the pipe until
going at about 1mm distance from the hanger hole.
Thats great if the orginal hole will work. You drill a new hole only if you need to gain as much room as possible.
But I think you have the idea now. If you use a collet on the pipe hanger instead of the grub screw, you can grind off the excess off the front of the pipe that is causing the problem
Old 08-01-2010, 10:49 AM
Tech Adept

thanks guys. Yes i undestood the meaning of opening a new hole, however
the original hanger hole is made as back as possible at the sirio pipe. So, i ll have to work with this hole and shave up to the limit at the front of the pipe.
this will create some space for the steering rods, not much though, maybe 2 mm but this is the best i can do.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:09 PM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the original hanger hole is made as back as possible at the sirio pipe. So, i ll have to work with this hole and shave up to the limit at the front of the pipe.
this will create some space for the steering rods, not much though, maybe 2 mm but this is the best i can do.
i take it that no shorter header pipes are available?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

can't you just shorten the header...?...I had a similar problem on my NTC3 with an RB pipe.
Old 08-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by streetfreek
can't you just shorten the header...?...I had a similar problem on my NTC3 with an RB pipe.
yes you can (by using a shorter manifold) but then you will change the powerband of the motor.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Tech Elite

Default pipe too long

Is this by chance on a Kyosho RRR?
They usually have the most problems,as there seems to be enough room on the Mugens.
I ran the Serio pipe and header on one of my RRRs, and ran into the same problem, and after talking to a few drivers, they had the same clearence problems, solving just they we we discussed it.
I then installed the same pipe/engine in one of my Mugens and even though it was a tight fit, it did work ok.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Fileing, Shorten header, and other recommendations. I think you Radio EPA(End point adjustment) could settle your problem w/o doing any advise of modifying the exhaust manifold.

Just my opinion. Good luck!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:32 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by brc358
Is this by chance on a Kyosho RRR?
They usually have the most problems,as there seems to be enough room on the Mugens.
I ran the Serio pipe and header on one of my RRRs, and ran into the same problem, and after talking to a few drivers, they had the same clearence problems, solving just they we we discussed it.
I then installed the same pipe/engine in one of my Mugens and even though it was a tight fit, it did work ok.

no, its on a serpent 720. Anyway, i did shave it and has about 2-2.5 mm clearance without applying any force to the pipe.
I think it will be fine. i just have to find some good quality collets to do the job.

thank you all guys,