Old 07-18-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default What car is this

Got this in a deal and have no clue what it is any help is appreciated

Old 07-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You'll have better luck if you post this in the Nitro On-Road section.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

looks like serpent
Old 07-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Dam I meant to put this in On road
Old 07-18-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

OFNA OB4
Old 07-18-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by wingracer
OFNA OB4

Bingo!
Old 07-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Otherwise known as a complete rip-off of the HPI Nitro RS4.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:26 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by SteveP
Otherwise known as a complete rip-off of the HPI Nitro RS4.
Not really. Sure there are some similarities but in my opinion, the OB4 was a much better car.

For instance, the OB4 was a pivot ball car. Much more adjustable than an RS4.
Old 07-19-2010, 03:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

OK, you got me... rip-off of the NitroRS4 with Pivot ball suspension.

I'm not sure I would have copied a 3-belt HPI car that's essentially a RTR for a race car, but they no longer sell it, so I guess it's a moot point.

Well, OK, If it were REALLY me, I wouldn't copy another car, but if I were inclined to do so...
Old 07-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Tech Lord

I'm not sure I would have copied a 3-belt HPI car that's essentially a RTR for a race car, but they no longer sell it, so I guess it's a moot point.

Well, OK, If it were REALLY me, I wouldn't copy another car, but if I were inclined to do so...
At the time, all the cars were basically the same. Even the MTX2 had the same belt lay-out. Serpent was the first to go with the long, left side center belt with the Impulse, unless the Neo car beat it to the market. Not sure, they were close.

The crazy thing back then was that while the Serpent was the only really pure bread, modern RACE car, the thing was so heavy that the cheaper, more toy like (but much lighter) cars like the OFNA and Neo could run with it.

I remember crushing all the Serpent guys with my cheap POS Neo. They were all convinced that I was winning because the Neo was so light, so when the OB4 came out, they switched. Just to bug them (and because the Neo was getting hard to find parts for) I switched to the Serpent and still killed them. Drove them nuts.

My point being that in its day, the OB4 was actually a very good car. Yeah it's antiquated junk now but when it came out, there wasn't much better to be had.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:25 PM
Tech Master

At the time, all the cars were basically the same. Even the MTX2 had the same belt lay-out. Serpent was the first to go with the long, left side center belt with the Impulse, unless the Neo car beat it to the market. Not sure, they were close.

The crazy thing back then was that while the Serpent was the only really pure bread, modern RACE car, the thing was so heavy that the cheaper, more toy like (but much lighter) cars like the OFNA and Neo could run with it.

I remember crushing all the Serpent guys with my cheap POS Neo. They were all convinced that I was winning because the Neo was so light, so when the OB4 came out, they switched. Just to bug them (and because the Neo was getting hard to find parts for) I switched to the Serpent and still killed them. Drove them nuts.

My point being that in its day, the OB4 was actually a very good car. Yeah it's antiquated junk now but when it came out, there wasn't much better to be had.
SteveP gunna have to agree with ya, Copy of the RS4. But 2-speed gears are the trick of it The 2 colors.. It may be a CEN product, or a good China Counterfeit.

Wingracer, Its definity not a Serpent. Impulse was a downsized scale of the Vector, 235mm-10th Impact. Serpent was always left side 4WD belt drive.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 122 (100%+)
Default Nitro OB4

I still have two of these in my collection and another un-built one. They had quite a few options. Ball diff's, front one way's and left side belt conversions. Full aluminum parts were also available, arms and gearbox halves. Let me know if you need any specific parts to get it running, I'm sure I would have it. I'm currently even running an electric version of this chassis in my cirtix spec class.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Geezatec
SteveP gunna have to agree with ya, Copy of the RS4. But 2-speed gears are the trick of it The 2 colors.. It may be a CEN product, or a good China Counterfeit.

Wingracer, Its definity not a Serpent. Impulse was a downsized scale of the Vector, 235mm-10th Impact. Serpent was always left side 4WD belt drive.
I'm not the one who said it was a Serpent. And it's not a CEN either. As I said, it's an OFNA OB4.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by esymr2
I still have two of these in my collection and another un-built one. They had quite a few options. Ball diff's, front one way's and left side belt conversions.
I have never seen one with a left side belt conversion. Do you have one? I'd love to see a pic of it.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Tech Master

I'm not the one who said it was a Serpent. And it's not a CEN either. As I said, it's an OFNA OB4.
Purple parts HPI. 2sp gears Ofna. Brake lingage HPI. More of a frankenstein car. Just pick one!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.