Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
New into 1/10 Touring Racing Xray NT1.2 or Serpent 750 >

New into 1/10 Touring Racing Xray NT1.2 or Serpent 750

Like Tree2Likes

New into 1/10 Touring Racing Xray NT1.2 or Serpent 750

Old 08-28-2019, 11:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default New into 1/10 Touring Racing Xray NT1.2 or Serpent 750

Hi Guys i had a MTX3 Mugen a few years back and am looking to make a comeback to racing was looking into Xray NT1.2 or Serpent 750? Looking also guidance on Engines and Transmitters SNW101A31973A i thought about that one. Help will
be appreciated currently on a medium budget but could spend a few extra dollars if it merits Thanks for everyones guidances and opinions in advance.

Last edited by radoevo; 08-28-2019 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Title
Old 08-28-2019, 09:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by radoevo
Hi Guys i had a MTX3 Mugen a few years back and am looking to make a comeback to racing was looking into Xray NT1.2 or Serpent 750? Looking also guidance on Engines and Transmitters SNW101A31973A i thought about that one. Help will
be appreciated currently on a medium budget but could spend a few extra dollars if it merits Thanks for everyones guidances and opinions in advance.
Full disclosure: I just bought a 750 two weeks ago. It honestly is a great car with a lot of adjustability. It also doesn’t hurt that my last touring car was a Serpent... An Impulse, all those years ago.

That being said, if you are on the fence, I urge you to go to the track you plan on racing at and see what the regulars are running. If there’s a dominant brand amongst them, it merits asking what they like about the car, and anything else you should know about the car (such as what you should have handy for spare parts). More often than not, it really helps to go with a car that plenty of people can help you get up to speed with. At the end of the day though (and all those factors considered), you just have to go with your gut as to what car draws you the most after all those considerations.

Engines are another “loyalty”item - for me, I’m lined up to pick up a Mephisto .12, as I ran nothing but Novarossi before, and my choice was made based on the good experiences I had with it. The OS seems to be getting a lot of buzz though.

Radios? I’m not going To touch that one, lol. The fanboyism is hard when it comes to radios. Honestly, if you stick to the major brands (and I’m sure you know who they are), and choose at least a mid-grade “enthusiast” level radio, you can’t go wrong. Only your wallet can tell you whether it can live with the purchase of the top of the line radio - and if you get other cars down the road, just keep in mind how much those additional receivers are going to cost you.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:56 AM
Tech Initiate

i have an xray nt1 2015. I bought it some years ago after my last touring car was a kyosho fw05rr.
I have to say that is a very stable and fast car, it goes very well already with the basic manual set-up but it's very sensitive to set up adjustment and screw up everything is very easy even with little changings.
Old 08-29-2019, 05:19 AM
Tech Adept

Get the one with the better local support. Nothing worse than a broken part with no spare on a race day...

I have raced 748 wc before and now I own a NT1.2 I can easily say that 748wc is much more aggressive even with a comparable setup. I've always preferred Serpent over Xray but Xray clearly has a much better part quality compared to serpent especially with the shocks. My 748 wc shocks leak air from the x-rings all the time, never had any issues with NT1.2 though.
Old 08-29-2019, 02:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Am thinking more the Xray route and maybe a Sanwa MT44 now on servos im a little confused on the high torque type vs the speed type what should i use? if am not wrong i need the low profile ones right? I saw PGS-CL
Old 09-03-2019, 01:45 PM
Tech Addict

You can use full size servos in a 1/10 nitro car. Try to get 150 oz in of torque for steering and idealy 0.08 sec or faster for both. Low profile is just lighter. I would recommend savox 1258/1257 combo for a budget or dual team powers srs low profile with 200 oz in of torque (plenty) and 0.055 sec response. (very fast)
Old 09-03-2019, 02:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88
You can use full size servos in a 1/10 nitro car. Try to get 150 oz in of torque for steering and idealy 0.08 sec or faster for both. Low profile is just lighter. I would recommend savox 1258/1257 combo for a budget or dual team powers srs low profile with 200 oz in of torque (plenty) and 0.055 sec response. (very fast)

Hello friend am looking at those Team Powers they are not bad on price compared to the Sanwa that i was looking into will they be supported with the MT44 SHR and SSR modes?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:40 PM
Tech Adept

Serpent is more aggressive then the Xray and probably easier to get parts for.... Nitro on road seems like a niche market for Xray now with most of their team drivers concentrating on other classes.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88
I can’t speak for ALL 1/10th GP TC’s, but having recently purchased a Serpent 750, I read this in the product page:

...The radioplate sits again lower on the car , for lower center of gravity. New features include the possibility to mount a second belt tensioner and improved accessability and flex control through a new way of fixing the servosaver.

750 servo holder
The composite servo holder is unchanged from the 748. It is designed to have both servo closer to the center line of the car and as low as possible. The 2 lay-down low profile servos are seated very close together and mount in a very efficent and easy way. The holder mounts to the radio-tray.
I’m also pretty sure that it was mentioned in the 750 forum that you MUST use Lo-Pro servos for that car based on the above design facts... So I would check in your model’s product info or manual to confirm if it’s a requirement.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:58 PM
Tech Addict

The SRS servos do support ssr but the older dcs versions do not.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:02 PM
Tech Addict

I'm not familiar with the serpent 750 but the xray and kyosho cars you can fit full size servos but most people end up with low profile for onroad anyway.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

I use Power HD B7s for both steering and throttle. Low profile HV 0.055s and 13kg of torque. Only 47grams.
Old 09-08-2019, 03:30 AM
Tech Master

The 750, just as the 748 needs a low profile servo on throttle. On steering a normal servo will fit but for weight and balance low profile is recommended.

with the current selection of low profile servos on the market there are sufficient options for all needs and budgets.

Originally Posted by TurnNBurn

I can’t speak for ALL 1/10th GP TC’s, but having recently purchased a Serpent 750, I read this in the product page:

I’m also pretty sure that it was mentioned in the 750 forum that you MUST use Lo-Pro servos for that car based on the above design facts... So I would check in your model’s product info or manual to confirm if it’s a requirement.