R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 06-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #646
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Still new to GT8 racing, and just got some premounted treaded Sweep 45 tires on black ROK wheels with V2 white inserts. Running a Cobra GTe on an unprepared asphalt track (hence the treaded flavor instead of slicks). Is there any break-in required for the tires so they get good grip right away? How much warming up do the tires need before the race starts? Afraid to put any sauce on them, prior to or during the race day. Did that with a set of belted ofna tires, and the treads are over half gone in one race day.
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #647
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Still new to GT8 racing, and just got some premounted treaded Sweep 45 tires on black ROK wheels with V2 white inserts. Running a Cobra GTe on an unprepared asphalt track (hence the treaded flavor instead of slicks). Is there any break-in required for the tires so they get good grip right away? How much warming up do the tires need before the race starts? Afraid to put any sauce on them, prior to or during the race day. Did that with a set of belted ofna tires, and the treads are over half gone in one race day.
No real break in period for the tires however if you are in colder temps you may have to run a few laps to get them to temp. 45s on a GTe should be very easy to get warm. Watch your tire wear and make sure your chamber is set to wear the tires evenly. That will give you the best traction and longest tire life.
Best of luck!
TerribleTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #648
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Ty was pretty much on for the tires. I race at one track, where treads are faster than slicks in the first or second rounds. Did you get the EXP's or the belted? EXP's will have best grip but the belted will last longer. If your just playing get the belted, you might also try the V2 Dish wheels, you will find similar traction to the ROK wheels, but will keep the car a little cleaner.
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #649
Tech Elite

Dbl post
Old 06-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #650
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
Ty was pretty much on for the tires. I race at one track, where treads are faster than slicks in the first or second rounds. Did you get the EXP's or the belted? EXP's will have best grip but the belted will last longer. If your just playing get the belted, you might also try the V2 Dish wheels, you will find similar traction to the ROK wheels, but will keep the car a little cleaner.
I got the EXP belted treaded ones. Haven't seen the V2 dish wheels yet. Spoke wheels look better, more realistic
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #651
Tech Adept

Sweep V2 wheels work very well on the 1/8 GT cars. However if attending ROAR sanction events, just to keep in mind that all 1/8 GT cars must use non-dish wheels with no more than 30% of the face of the wheel may be solid.
Old 06-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #652
Tech Adept

Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #653
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Congrats Andy on the Byrons race win. Can I train them or what. Good job my friend.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #654
Tech Adept

Yes, Gus wood had showed me the ropes on GT racing from the very beginning. He is a great friend and a great coach. He had promoted the 1/8 GT class from the very beginning. Gus is a great ambassador of 1/8 GT class!!!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #655
Tech Adept

For those of you that had emailed me/texted me/PM'ed me about my setup at the Byron's race. It is now posted on serpent.com.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #656
Company Representative

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Congrats Andy and rest of the team.

All the hard work paid -off. lets have a Sweep time again!
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #657
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepRacingUSA View Post
Congrats Andy and rest of the team.

All the hard work paid -off. lets have a Sweep time again!
Sweep Tires were working good all weekend. Most running 40's and 45's a few 50's in the mix. Tires had great grip. Andy's set up and driving was the class of the field.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #658
Tech Adept

Sweep Racing Tires 1/8th GT thread-007.jpg
The Byron Onroad Challenge this last weekend was a good test for tires. Sweep tires held up to the challenge. I qualified 2nd and finished 5th after running out of fuel twice, need to calculate run time a little better next time. The 10 minute qualifiers and hour long a-main were a good test for traction and wear. For the main I went with a 55 LF, 50 RF and 45 rears. These held up for the entire 60 minutes with very good traction. Thanks Sweep for the awesome tires.
rcmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #659
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmikel View Post
Attachment 1211757
The Byron Onroad Challenge this last weekend was a good test for tires. Sweep tires held up to the challenge. I qualified 2nd and finished 5th after running out of fuel twice, need to calculate run time a little better next time. The 10 minute qualifiers and hour long a-main were a good test for traction and wear. For the main I went with a 55 LF, 50 RF and 45 rears. These held up for the entire 60 minutes with very good traction. Thanks Sweep for the awesome tires.
Mike...great racing with you, that is definitely something I will try next year for the hour main. I just never thought deep enough about 60 minutes run versus 10 minutes run, that costs me a better result on the main. See you Sunday.
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #660
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Mike...great racing with you, that is definitely something I will try next year for the hour main. I just never thought deep enough about 60 minutes run versus 10 minutes run, that costs me a better result on the main. See you Sunday.
Hey Howard,

I might join you, Mike and others for some more GT fun at the Gravity Onroad race this Sunday..........However, I got NO new tires available. All I have are some old tires in my bag. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with you and Mike...