R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #646
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,850
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Still new to GT8 racing, and just got some premounted treaded Sweep 45 tires on black ROK wheels with V2 white inserts. Running a Cobra GTe on an unprepared asphalt track (hence the treaded flavor instead of slicks). Is there any break-in required for the tires so they get good grip right away? How much warming up do the tires need before the race starts? Afraid to put any sauce on them, prior to or during the race day. Did that with a set of belted ofna tires, and the treads are over half gone in one race day.
__________________
Serpent SRX8 electric
Serpent Cobra 811TE-E
Serpent S120LTR 17.5 1/12th and S100LTR Pro-10
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #647
Tech Addict
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Still new to GT8 racing, and just got some premounted treaded Sweep 45 tires on black ROK wheels with V2 white inserts. Running a Cobra GTe on an unprepared asphalt track (hence the treaded flavor instead of slicks). Is there any break-in required for the tires so they get good grip right away? How much warming up do the tires need before the race starts? Afraid to put any sauce on them, prior to or during the race day. Did that with a set of belted ofna tires, and the treads are over half gone in one race day.
No real break in period for the tires however if you are in colder temps you may have to run a few laps to get them to temp. 45s on a GTe should be very easy to get warm. Watch your tire wear and make sure your chamber is set to wear the tires evenly. That will give you the best traction and longest tire life.
Best of luck!
TerribleTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:12 PM   #648
Tech Elite
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,673
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth_RT View Post
Still new to GT8 racing, and just got some premounted treaded Sweep 45 tires on black ROK wheels with V2 white inserts. Running a Cobra GTe on an unprepared asphalt track (hence the treaded flavor instead of slicks). Is there any break-in required for the tires so they get good grip right away? How much warming up do the tires need before the race starts? Afraid to put any sauce on them, prior to or during the race day. Did that with a set of belted ofna tires, and the treads are over half gone in one race day.
Ty was pretty much on for the tires. I race at one track, where treads are faster than slicks in the first or second rounds. Did you get the EXP's or the belted? EXP's will have best grip but the belted will last longer. If your just playing get the belted, you might also try the V2 Dish wheels, you will find similar traction to the ROK wheels, but will keep the car a little cleaner.
__________________
Darkside, Sweep, BSR, Fantom, IGT Hobbies and IGT8
Byrons Fuel, ProtoForm Bodies & Futaba Radio Gear by Choice
Founding Member of CORRC .... 5280raceway
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 04:57 PM   #649
Tech Elite
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,673
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Dbl post
__________________
Darkside, Sweep, BSR, Fantom, IGT Hobbies and IGT8
Byrons Fuel, ProtoForm Bodies & Futaba Radio Gear by Choice
Founding Member of CORRC .... 5280raceway
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 05:00 PM   #650
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,850
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenade10 View Post
Ty was pretty much on for the tires. I race at one track, where treads are faster than slicks in the first or second rounds. Did you get the EXP's or the belted? EXP's will have best grip but the belted will last longer. If your just playing get the belted, you might also try the V2 Dish wheels, you will find similar traction to the ROK wheels, but will keep the car a little cleaner.
I got the EXP belted treaded ones. Haven't seen the V2 dish wheels yet. Spoke wheels look better, more realistic
__________________
Serpent SRX8 electric
Serpent Cobra 811TE-E
Serpent S120LTR 17.5 1/12th and S100LTR Pro-10
Serpent S411 Eryx 4.0 USGT
Team Serpent America and Desoto Racing
Stealth_RT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #651
Tech Adept
 
Flyin Hawaiian1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Exton, PA
Posts: 148
Default

Sweep V2 wheels work very well on the 1/8 GT cars. However if attending ROAR sanction events, just to keep in mind that all 1/8 GT cars must use non-dish wheels with no more than 30% of the face of the wheel may be solid.
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
Flyin Hawaiian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #652
Tech Adept
 
Flyin Hawaiian1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Exton, PA
Posts: 148
Default

..............
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
Flyin Hawaiian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:54 AM   #653
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 884
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Congrats Andy on the Byrons race win. Can I train them or what. Good job my friend.
__________________
People spend their lives worrying about death. I'm sliding in broadside h ollering "Wow, what a ride"
spooky 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #654
Tech Adept
 
Flyin Hawaiian1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Exton, PA
Posts: 148
Default

Yes, Gus wood had showed me the ropes on GT racing from the very beginning. He is a great friend and a great coach. He had promoted the 1/8 GT class from the very beginning. Gus is a great ambassador of 1/8 GT class!!!
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
Flyin Hawaiian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:41 AM   #655
Tech Adept
 
Flyin Hawaiian1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Exton, PA
Posts: 148
Default

For those of you that had emailed me/texted me/PM'ed me about my setup at the Byron's race. It is now posted on serpent.com.
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
Flyin Hawaiian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #656
Company Representative
 
SweepRacingUSA's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: www.SweepRacingUSA.com
Posts: 1,729
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

Congrats Andy and rest of the team.



All the hard work paid -off. lets have a Sweep time again!
SweepRacingUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #657
Tech Elite
 
Grenade10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 4,673
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweepRacingUSA View Post
Congrats Andy and rest of the team.



All the hard work paid -off. lets have a Sweep time again!
Sweep Tires were working good all weekend. Most running 40's and 45's a few 50's in the mix. Tires had great grip. Andy's set up and driving was the class of the field.
__________________
Darkside, Sweep, BSR, Fantom, IGT Hobbies and IGT8
Byrons Fuel, ProtoForm Bodies & Futaba Radio Gear by Choice
Founding Member of CORRC .... 5280raceway
www.darksidems.com www.igthobbies.com www.IGT8.com
Grenade10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #658
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 242
Default

Sweep Racing Tires 1/8th GT thread-007.jpg
The Byron Onroad Challenge this last weekend was a good test for tires. Sweep tires held up to the challenge. I qualified 2nd and finished 5th after running out of fuel twice, need to calculate run time a little better next time. The 10 minute qualifiers and hour long a-main were a good test for traction and wear. For the main I went with a 55 LF, 50 RF and 45 rears. These held up for the entire 60 minutes with very good traction. Thanks Sweep for the awesome tires.
rcmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #659
Tech Champion
 
Solara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago Illinois USA
Posts: 9,082
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmikel View Post
Attachment 1211757
The Byron Onroad Challenge this last weekend was a good test for tires. Sweep tires held up to the challenge. I qualified 2nd and finished 5th after running out of fuel twice, need to calculate run time a little better next time. The 10 minute qualifiers and hour long a-main were a good test for traction and wear. For the main I went with a 55 LF, 50 RF and 45 rears. These held up for the entire 60 minutes with very good traction. Thanks Sweep for the awesome tires.
Mike...great racing with you, that is definitely something I will try next year for the hour main. I just never thought deep enough about 60 minutes run versus 10 minutes run, that costs me a better result on the main. See you Sunday.
__________________
SPEED PASSION - King Golden, Speed Passion USA, Speed Power, Hirosaka Pro Products, East Coast Bodies, Awesomatix USA, Roche USA, Schumacher Racing, Hurricane Motorsports, Serpent America, Sweep Racing USA. http://www.spautomobile.com/en/index.asp (SPEED PASSION AUTOMOTIVE)
NEW Speed Power/Speed Passion direct sale site - http://shop.speedpowerrc.com/
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:06 AM   #660
Tech Adept
 
Flyin Hawaiian1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Exton, PA
Posts: 148
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solara View Post
Mike...great racing with you, that is definitely something I will try next year for the hour main. I just never thought deep enough about 60 minutes run versus 10 minutes run, that costs me a better result on the main. See you Sunday.
Hey Howard,

I might join you, Mike and others for some more GT fun at the Gravity Onroad race this Sunday..........However, I got NO new tires available. All I have are some old tires in my bag. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with you and Mike...
__________________
Andy Liu "Flyin' Hawaiian"
Flyin Hawaiian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Powerline Race Club at Floyd Bennett Field TEAM BROOKLYN Racing Forum 4877 08-03-2011 03:31 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:08 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net