Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
Thoughts/opinions on Kyosho GS15R engine >

Thoughts/opinions on Kyosho GS15R engine

Old 05-30-2004, 12:31 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi Everyone,

I've been in and out of this hobby for a few years, and have just bought a V One S 2. This is with the standard Kyosho GS15R engine.

I've found it hard to find information on this engine around the net, which has led me to believe that it is a more entry level engine. A new GS15R is around AU$320 (US$230), which doesn't seem cheap when some Novarossi's and OS engines are at the same price.

So what's everyone's thoughts on this motor? Is it an entry-level engine, or more mid-range? Do you think it makes decent power?

Your thoughts and help are much appreciated!

Cheers,
Nathan.
Old 05-30-2004, 02:42 AM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

The GS15 is very much an entry level engine but is probably the best engine provided with a sport car kit. They make more power than they have any right to, piston liner sets are cheap and the things will keep going forever. Find out if there is a class setup for stock cars at your local club and have a lot of cheap fun before you spend big on a "race" engine.
Old 05-30-2004, 03:10 AM
Tech Elite

Nathan,

If you can get an Italian stallion for the same money, get the Italian.

The engine you have is an entry level one. Since you said you've been and out of this hobby (and who isn't unless they're a full time pro - in which case they can't call this a hobby) then you are nearly ready to leave the entry level group.
Old 05-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Tech Regular

waaa,... 230 bucks for a GS15?! with that amount of money you'll get a whole V-One S kit...
Old 05-30-2004, 02:10 PM
Tech Initiate

nah, in Austrlian dollars, my vone-s 2 cost $485, delivered to my door in less than the week
Old 05-30-2004, 06:34 PM
Tech Addict

Even an OS CV-R with exhaust manifold, pipe and engine mount will be just a bit cheaper but give you significantly more power [my experience ; over 50%].

Kyosho's engines don't have much info published that I could find, so I had one placed on an engine dyno/beak-in machine and it came in .52hp. An OS CV-R, SE & rotary carb..1.01hp.

.5hp is great for stock/RTR or novice classes, but most of these organized events don't have an engine restriction. If you are going to pay for an engine, why spend on something you will eventually upgrade? Then again, a 2 speed [unless the second genration comes with one or you have already installed one] is a better and considerably less costly investment.

If you aren't comfortable with a higher hp engine, you can always excercise trigger control and have it when you want it.

Good luck!
^5
Old 05-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)

Originally posted by Tom G
Even an OS CV-R with exhaust manifold, pipe and engine mount will be just a bit cheaper but give you significantly more power [my experience ; over 50%].

Kyosho's engines don't have much info published that I could find, so I had one placed on an engine dyno/beak-in machine and it came in .52hp. An OS CV-R, SE & rotary carb..1.01hp.

.5hp is great for stock/RTR or novice classes, but most of these organized events don't have an engine restriction. If you are going to pay for an engine, why spend on something you will eventually upgrade? Then again, a 2 speed [unless the second genration comes with one or you have already installed one] is a better and considerably less costly investment.

If you aren't comfortable with a higher hp engine, you can always excercise trigger control and have it when you want it.

Good luck!
^5
Semper Fi
Old 05-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Tech Addict

Default Marcos.S710

Right back at ya!

^5
Old 05-31-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks everyone for your help. I've got the 2 speed on the V One S, and its a great difference.

Now I know where abouts the GS15R stands in the engine line up.

Cheers,
Nathan.
Old 06-01-2004, 05:30 PM
rjl
Tech Fanatic

My club runs a class based on the Kyosho cup and these cars with the GS15R are doing lap times within 1 second of the "pro" engined cars. Run it till you kill it.