Community
Wiki Posts
Search

left standing

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Default left standing

hi i have a nitro car which is basicly brand new only used about 5 times and its been left standing for about 2 maybe 3 years due to me not bothering with it, but i have just came across it in the garage and really want to give it the usage it deserves why i am off school so is there anythink i should do before starting it maybe a complete engine strip down?, any sugestions would be helpfull thanks and if this is so then is there any vids or info that would help me do this.

thanks for your time

Tom.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Break it down and check both bearings and clean it out with motor spray, reinstall everything and add afterrun oil to all the pivot points, bearings, and a little to the piston, turn it over a few times by hand to make sure everything gets coated, and then start it up
U can google step by step directions on how to take it apart and reasemble
Old 07-02-2010, 03:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by motojon
Break it down and check both bearings and clean it out with motor spray, reinstall everything and add afterrun oil to all the pivot points, bearings, and a little to the piston, turn it over a few times by hand to make sure everything gets coated, and then start it up
thanks, got something to do now
Old 07-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Im in the same situation.

I have acquired several engines that have been sitting for at least 10 years. They are all gummed up and i cant really turn the flywheels. The best case scenario is there is old dried up castor in the engine bearings.

The only solvent i know that will dissolve this stuff is fuel.

I have been totally disassembling the engines and letting them set in fuel. it does a good job of freeing up the bearings. then i will wash and scrub everything in solvent, i use naptha. After that assemble them back with light oil.

If there is any solvent out there that is better let me know, i dont know of too much that will touch castor.
Old 07-02-2010, 04:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Turbo9000

I have acquired several engines that have been sitting for at least 10 years. They are all gummed up and i cant really turn the flywheels. The best case scenario is there is old dried up castor in the engine bearings.

I have been totally disassembling the engines and letting them set in fuel. it does a good job of freeing up the bearings. then i will wash and scrub everything in solvent, i use naptha. After that assemble them back with light oil.

If there is any solvent out there that is better let me know, i dont know of too much that will touch castor.
You can also use a heat gun or hair dryer before adding any solvent to loosen up all the gunk that should make it a bit easier on getting it cleared out as well u can use a temp gun heat it up to 200deg let it cool off then start running the solvent your going to use thru it
Old 07-03-2010, 04:51 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the advice, i have alot of fuel left but does it matter that its about 5 years old and im starting a full engine rebuild and hopefully going to get it up and running within a week
Old 07-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Turbo9000

Simple Green will break castor oil up also.