Wiki Posts
Search

New to 1/10 Nitro TC - Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default New to 1/10 Nitro TC - Advice Please

I have been racing electric TC for a year and a half now, and I REALLY want to try nitro. I know little about it so I was hoping to get some guidance from you guys. I have done some searching, but I am interested in the most current info possible.

Need - I will only be racing about two times a month, club racing only. My budget is not unlimited, but I am not looking to go ‘cheap’ either – I want to have a good experience.

Car - Decent quality and ease of setup (responsive to setup changes) and upgradeability. I would also like a competitive handling chassis. Upgrades and parts cost is a concern, but ordering parts from internet is not a problem.

Short list of cars: TM G4JS $240, G4RS $350, NT1R $350, NT1 2009 Spec $400. I am leaning toward the G4JS as the cost for what you get seems to be fantastic. Not sure if the Xray is that much better than the TM cars for my needs…..

Engine/Pipe – All out speed is not important at this stage, but average performance (or slightly above) would be good. Reliability, all around good power band, consistent running, and ease of tune are key. ( I am a little familiar with the larger engines, but know nothing about the .12s)

Servos – What torque ratings and transit times are needed for throttle/braking? Would the steering servo be the same kind of spec as an electric TC?

Any info would be great!
Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 AM
Tech Regular

You'd better choose Xray NT1R or 2009 spec, I think TM is a waste of money. You will get a lot more professional setup info and service with Xray. You wont need ANY upgrades to be fast if you choose 2009 or 2010 spec, but there are of course a lot of optional parts for them.
Novarossi based engines are way to go for the starter, Max Power, RB Concept, JP Gimar are all Novarossi based, and have good engines that wont kill your pocket. Pipe depends on the engine but my favourite is Novarossi 2652, it has great power with most engines.
For 1-10 Nitro I think Savöx 1251MG servos are way to go, low profile(better for model balancing), more than enough torque, 0.09s speed and 41grams, the best thing is they are lot cheaper than the rest.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by musti72
You'd better choose Xray NT1R or 2009 spec, I think TM is a waste of money. You will get a lot more professional setup info and service with Xray. You wont need ANY upgrades to be fast if you choose 2009 or 2010 spec, but there are of course a lot of optional parts for them.
Novarossi based engines are way to go for the starter, Max Power, RB Concept, JP Gimar are all Novarossi based, and have good engines that wont kill your pocket. Pipe depends on the engine but my favourite is Novarossi 2652, it has great power with most engines.
For 1-10 Nitro I think Savöx 1251MG servos are way to go, low profile(better for model balancing), more than enough torque, 0.09s speed and 41grams, the best thing is they are lot cheaper than the rest.
+1

I would say also go to your local track on a race day and talk to the fast guys. See who is running what. See what the local hobby shop sells and stocks parts for. In my area the Kyosho V one and Xray NT1 are the main two cars. We share setups and between all the racers anybody can break any part and not end their day. Being new to nitro you will want as much help as you can get.

Troy
Old 07-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys... My gut was to plunk down the $$ on the Xray. Quality costs..

Last question: Do the NT1R and NT1 00X line of cars share the same parts? Can one put the 'upgraded' 009 and 010 parts on the NT1R?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The only bad thing about Xray is that most LHS don't carry parts for them. That said, there are very few parts I've actually broken on my NT1. Usually it's replaced because of wear and tear.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

2 thumbs up on nt1 09 wont break anything unless u really slap the wall. works good right out of the box. nova based engines r top of line. durability,performance and longevity.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:37 PM
Tech Master

NT1 you will never look back
Old 07-14-2010, 04:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

a kyosho RRR NT1 spec.. LOL.

jk

either a RRR, NT1 and the Capricorn is nice also.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Originally Posted by LiL_JaSoN
a kyosho RRR NT1 spec.. LOL.

jk

either a RRR, NT1 and the Capricorn is nice also.
LOL whats a kyosho rrr nt1 spec !!!!! an inbreed roller.
Old 07-14-2010, 05:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Alex Siddique
LOL whats a kyosho rrr nt1 spec !!!!! an inbreed roller.
spot on.. if your bored like me.. this is what happens

a kyosho rrr chassis with a xray nt1/capricorn drive chain....

Old 07-16-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Regular

WOW!!!