Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
what engine are you guys curently running? >

what engine are you guys curently running?

what engine are you guys curently running?

Old 05-24-2004, 03:20 PM
Tech Adept

I run the Mugen X12 and NS12S3 in my MTX-3 and I have to say the Mugen X12 have better all around power than the NS12S3. I also see someone selling the Mugen X12 on ebay closing at $250.00-$280.00.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 05-24-2004, 03:25 PM
afm
Tech Master

Default Helpfull Tips on Sirio's

Originally posted by Lil Pinto
I agree with goldenboy I had two sirio and connecting rod went on both motors with less than 1 gallon
Hi guys, for your records below is the official answer I got from the factory concerning conrod life for the Sirio S12. Also I did measurement to crank pin on a new stock engine and found that it has 4.428mm.
Hope it helps everybody
AFM

"The right play between crank pin and conrod bushing is 0,04 - 0,05 mm. I don't know if you're able to check it, but I suggest you change the conrod every 2-3 hours running.
The life of the conrod depends mainly on the fuel you use, as the lubrification and the right carburetion keeps your engine running well for long time."

Regards,

ANDREA ROSSI
Lavorazioni Meccaniche srl
Via Meucci, 3 Seggiano di Pioltello Mi Italy
Tel +39 0292160235 Fax +39 0292160581
Visit our Web Site at :
WWW.STAR-MOTOR.COM

From calculations on my last post about conrod life, according to Sirio factory, one should change the conrod between 0.4756 to 0.7133 gallon.

How come??? Well, if a 75cc tank lasts an average of 5 minutes, one makes 12 tanks in 1 hour, which is 900cc. So according to Sirio that says change conrod after 2 to 3 hours running, that means change conrod between 1800cc and 2700cc of fuel. Now if 1 gallon has 3,785cc, that means the lifetime of the conrod is less than one gallon.

AFM
BREAK-IN
After reading a post by Andrea Rossi in the Sirio's web site, this is the correct Break-In procedure for the S12's

1.- One (1) tank in the bench at WOT with very rich setting of HSN, avoiding it to go on 4 stroke.
COOL DOWN
2.- Three (3) tanks on the track with very rich setting of HSN, and tuning the HSN at the end of third tank to get almost full power.
COOL DOWN
He says after that, the engine will give more power after every new tank.
3.- For 20% Nitro, use .20 head shim and N° / Glow plug.

Which means that Break-In should be done with more or less 300 to 500cc of fuel.

AFM
Old 05-24-2004, 03:25 PM
Tech Adept

No they are not, they are made of a special composite that prevents heat of the engine to pass on to carb, and as i've said the new ones are tha best carb i've seen.
that is what i meant, but anyhow, all of the people that i know say they hate the composite carb, so they buy a novarossi carb.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:32 PM
afm
Tech Master

Originally posted by goldenboy
that is what i meant, but anyhow, all of the people that i know say they hate the composite carb, so they buy a novarossi carb.
I undertand their feelings, because of bad experiences particularly with cheap engines and firts composite carbs from Picco end Sirio, but how come no off-road top engine is without a composite carb, the problem is that it took a while for the manufacturers to find the way of making them relaible for .12 engines, and i can asure you that now they have, particularly Sirio. It is a magnificent carb.
AFM
Old 05-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Tech Adept

AFM
I not too familar with the new sirio but I'm sure they made a lot of improvements, but I ran my sirio about 8 months ago and could not find a rod for that motor anywhere, I even tried to order one from Trinity but had no luck.
My first sirio carb was junk but the second sirio carb tuned very well.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

ok,

1.Mugen X12s3 engine has about 152hp as stated on mugenracing.com i could get that engine for $299 at atomic
hobbies

2. novamega sx-12 ss 3p turbo has about 1.80 as stated on mytsn.com but i could get that for $269 at atomic hobbies

now you tell me what is the better buy because from what i see it is the nova mega sx-12 ss 3pt. i know that what you guys are saying is that the the factory say on hp doesnt mean nothing its just numbers because they have different methods of testing for horespower but it still seems to me that the nova mega has hp than the mugen even though you guys say the numbers meen nothing thats a fairly good sized gap between the two engines hp.

i need to know what is the latest and fastest sirio engine they got out right now and how much it runs for.i found this web sight where i could get a sirio .12 sp12trppro for about $145.00 and another turbo outlaw one for $149.00.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by baller360
well then i think i narrowed it down to 2 engines now the mugen x12 and the novamega sx-12 ss 3pt. thanks for your help you guys are really helpful now all i need to find is some information on that mugen x12!do they have a site for only mugen engines?
Speedtech RC sells the SX-12 SS 3 port (229.99) but are out of stock right now but if you call steve he will be able to order it for you.

http://64.70.208.72/speedtechrc/147.html
Old 05-24-2004, 03:59 PM
afm
Tech Master

ok,

1.Mugen X12s3 engine has about 152hp as stated on mugenracing.com i could get that engine for $299 at atomic
hobbies

2. novamega sx-12 ss 3p turbo has about 1.80 as stated on mytsn.com but i could get that for $269 at atomic hobbies

now you tell me what is the better buy because from what i see it is the nova mega sx-12 ss 3pt. i know that what you guys are saying is that the the factory say on hp doesnt mean nothing its just numbers because they have different methods of testing for horespower but it still seems to me that the nova mega has hp than the mugen even though you guys say the numbers meen nothing thats a fairly good sized gap between the two engines hp.

i need to know what is the latest and fastest sirio engine they got out right now and how much it runs for.i found this web sight where i could get a sirio .12 sp12trppro for about $145.00 and another turbo outlaw one for $149.00.
The HP number for the Mugen is more close to reality, and I read somewhere (I can't remember) that the Novamega's claimed HP was a mistake and that it is correect to say it is closer to the 1.5 hp figure.

The latest and fastest Sirio is the S12 Evo2 engine, and you can get it for $190.00 at www.speedtechrc.com Claimed Hp is 1.6, but having one I can tell you it runs as any of the new Nova based crop, so it must be closer to the 1.5 figure on the real world (with 20% nitro).

AFM
Old 05-24-2004, 04:15 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

ok,

hobbies

Better buy is the Mugen X12 or the EVO2
Old 05-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Tech Adept

how can you explain that to me? i would get the mugen but the price is to close to the cost of the serpent 710 if i could find it for less somewhere i would get it, and i would get the sirio evo 2 but this thing that these guys are saying about that engine makes it sound like a cheap engine they say how it looses compression and the carb sucks and the conrod snaps or breaks or somthing like that its quite disturbing that i would buy a engine and it will break after i ran about a gallon of nitro through it or, after i ran it for about 3-5 hours in total.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:27 PM
Tech Adept

Default who is the fastest at your track right now and what engine are they using??

who is the fastest at you track right now and what engine are they using?

also what about jp fx engines and the rb engines?
Old 05-24-2004, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

The Fastest I've seen at my track (a small tight track) are Mugen's X-12's. Two of the guys are Mugen Team drivers. They like the X-12's. Good powerband. Low-Mid and high.

Now on the other hand seen a STS on a big track. I think it was D5. And man that thing was keeping up with 1/8's. Smoking....

Old 05-24-2004, 04:35 PM
B
Tech Master

I have heard the JP FX engines are extremely fast, but they are also extremely expensive.

Well, personally, I like Novarossi more than RB or Mega just due to my previous experiences. I feel that even though RB and Mega are Novarossi based, they are still not as good as the real thing. That is purely my opinion.

Don't look at the HP ratings at all, not even for reference.

I have heard nothing but good about the new mugen X12 engines.

About the EVO2, I heard they have fixed the carb problems...but if you want to play it safe, I would suggest getting a novarossi or a Mugen, which is extremely similar.
Old 05-24-2004, 04:36 PM
Tech Adept

an sts d5 are those good engines, how much do they run for?
Old 05-24-2004, 04:37 PM
B
Tech Master

ok,

hobbies

I believe you could find a better price than that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.