Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
HELP! with dead receiver pack >

HELP! with dead receiver pack

HELP! with dead receiver pack

Old 05-20-2004, 09:42 PM
Tech Addict

Default HELP! with dead receiver pack

Well I accidently left me on/off switch ON for a week or so. And guess what, my rx pack is DEAD! I'm trying to charge it up but it doesn't seem to be doing much good. Is this pack shot? Should I just toss it or is there any way to bring it back to life? BTW it's an orion 1200 nimh. Someone please help. I wasn't sure where to post this but since the pack is in my TC3 I guess this is somewhat appropriate. Thanks
Old 05-20-2004, 10:14 PM
sup
Tech Addict

how many amps to you charge it at? what charger are you using? nicd or nimh? try charging it at a low amp, maybe .5 or .8 amps. lowest peak detect possible (.12 for CE chargers). if that doesnt work, try asking for advice at the electric thread.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I did almost the same thing. I left my batt almost empty for about 2 months. When I tried to charge it, it wouldn't hold a charge. Had to get a new pack.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by mckrooz
I did almost the same thing. I left my batt almost empty for about 2 months. When I tried to charge it, it wouldn't hold a charge. Had to get a new pack.
sometimes if you recycle (charge then discharge) the battery a couple of times, it will work again.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:50 AM
Tech Regular

Default dead pack

if your charger has a trickle charge feature, try charging it for a few hours on trickle. (100 ma). if it won't take a charge at 100 milliamps it is almost certainly dead.
Old 05-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by Data
sometimes if you recycle (charge then discharge) the battery a couple of times, it will work again.

I had the same problem. I had to keep recharging/discharging a few times (@3 times) before it came back to life and kept a charge.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Cool thanks. I'll give it a shot. What really sucks is this pack is almost brand new. Plus I just put a brand new engine in last night and now I have to wait before I can break it in Oh well, lesson learned. I hope this works!
Old 05-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by j240z
Cool thanks. I'll give it a shot. What really sucks is this pack is almost brand new. Plus I just put a brand new engine in last night and now I have to wait before I can break it in Oh well, lesson learned. I hope this works!
No...relex, battery cannot be DEAD because there are no juice inside....it is NOT the best thing to do especially on Nimh (leave it empty for a long time)........but it won't damage the batteries because it was drained.

If you have some high end charger....charge it at 1 amp and discharge it a 15 amps...........and cycle it (charge and discharge) it for like 3-6 times...

If you don't have a charger that has CYCLE function, Charge the batteries, and hook it up to a small motor (micro) and drain it for like good 10-15 minutes (if the batteries can last that long)......REPEAT this whole process 3-6 times.....

At the end, your pack should be back alive.....

Rule of thumb (Nimh batteies like your Team Orion 1200)........when not in use, you should CHARGE the batteries in FULL and leave it.......for winter break, cycle the pack 1-2 times every month or so.
Old 05-21-2004, 04:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Rookie Solara
No...relex, battery cannot be DEAD because there are no juice inside....it is NOT the best thing to do especially on Nimh (leave it empty for a long time)........but it won't damage the batteries because it was drained.

If you have some high end charger....charge it at 1 amp and discharge it a 15 amps...........and cycle it (charge and discharge) it for like 3-6 times...

If you don't have a charger that has CYCLE function, Charge the batteries, and hook it up to a small motor (micro) and drain it for like good 10-15 minutes (if the batteries can last that long)......REPEAT this whole process 3-6 times.....

At the end, your pack should be back alive.....

Rule of thumb (Nimh batteies like your Team Orion 1200)........when not in use, you should CHARGE the batteries in FULL and leave it.......for winter break, cycle the pack 1-2 times every month or so.
Copy that. I'm already in the middle of cycling the pack. It seems like maybe it will be OK afterall. I was thinking back as to how long the switch was actually left ON and I think it might have only been a day or two which is less than I thought previously. For now I'm breaking in the new OS tr turbo w/out any juice. Hopefully the break in and cycling will be done around the same time so I can drive it. Thanks everyone for the tips!
Old 05-23-2004, 08:01 PM
sup
Tech Addict

charging a "dead" batt at high amps (more than 1) will fry the batt (it will false peak too, once a cell dies due to overcharging). rx batts are really sensitive coz of its size. i usually charge mine at .5 amps the night before the race and re-charge at race day (after 2 10min qualifyers) at .8 amps. heat (from charging) is the number 1 batt killer, all at .12-.20 peak detect (depends on how much time i have to charge). more amps = more punch (faster to charge), less amps = more run time (slower to charge). cycling batts will definitely put some life on them (upto thrice a day, just to take care of your them. just not sure at what discharge rate for our small rx batts.). my 2 cents.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by sup
charging a "dead" batt at high amps (more than 1) will fry the batt (it will false peak too, once a cell dies due to overcharging). rx batts are really sensitive coz of its size. i usually charge mine at .5 amps the night before the race and re-charge at race day (after 2 10min qualifyers) at .8 amps. heat (from charging) is the number 1 batt killer, all at .12-.20 peak detect (depends on how much time i have to charge). more amps = more punch (faster to charge), less amps = more run time (slower to charge). cycling batts will definitely put some life on them (upto thrice a day, just to take care of your them. just not sure at what discharge rate for our small rx batts.). my 2 cents.
very technical bro!!!
Old 05-23-2004, 09:42 PM
sup
Tech Addict

hehe! learned from my short stint in electric. was a budget racer (still am) so i asked the local racers how to take care of my batts. batts are not cheap (especially sub-c types). as a discharger, i think you can use a set of 2 amp automotive bulbs for cycling them (im not really sure how many amps you can use to discharge rx batts). i dont discharge mine though, i just leave some charge into them within a week.

Last edited by sup; 05-23-2004 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Default my charger can charge 15 cells

my charger can charge 15 cells at a time.

i have 1800mah pack contained 6 cells.
i have 2 packs of that thing.

can i charge/discharge those 2 packs (1800mah 6 cells x 2nos.) at one go?

or i need to be more patience that i need to charge/discharge those packs seperately...?

if can charge/discharge at one go.... how about the min/max amp for charging/discharging?

mop
Old 05-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by sup
Cool! Thanks to everyone for all the tips. It seems to be holding a charge pretty well now after a few days of cycling. I'm glad I won't need to buy another pack quite yet. Unfortunatly I did miss out on any racing this weekend though. BTW yes it is a nimh pack. Thanks
Old 05-25-2004, 07:58 PM
sup
Tech Addict

Default Re: my charger can charge 15 cells

Originally posted by mop_iko
my charger can charge 15 cells at a time.

i have 1800mah pack contained 6 cells.
i have 2 packs of that thing.

can i charge/discharge those 2 packs (1800mah 6 cells x 2nos.) at one go?

or i need to be more patience that i need to charge/discharge those packs seperately...?

if can charge/discharge at one go.... how about the min/max amp for charging/discharging?

mop
not really sure about that one mop_iko. just be patient and your batts will go a long long way