New to nitro world...what car to get?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to nitro world...what car to get?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 03:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Arrow New to nitro world...what car to get?

Ok. I've been an electric guy...but mostly cause i started when i was 11, and im 16 right now. So i decided i'd like to get a nitro on-road.
But, i have no idea what to get. I want performance with reliability, yet at a reasonable price, $350 and under.

Any suggestions? And does anyone have any figures for me? Such as top speed, acceleration, etc.?
The help is greatly appreciated!
Old 05-19-2004, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: New to nitro world...what car to get?

In my world, fish runs nitro r/c.

With the $350, what do you expect from it? A car with everything:
car, motor, servos, radio, etc. Help me out, will you?

Originally posted by t3guy
Ok. I've been an electric guy...but mostly cause i started when i was 11, and im 16 right now. So i decided i'd like to get a nitro on-road.
But, i have no idea what to get. I want performance with reliability, yet at a reasonable price, $350 and under.

Any suggestions? And does anyone have any figures for me? Such as top speed, acceleration, etc.?
Old 05-19-2004, 03:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

sry eddie...

ok so i have some background in general...i know i like AE, i know i like HPI. But other than that for the most part, im clueless.

I was thinkin RTR...unless i could build something better for the same price...historically, kits end up bein more $$$ than RTRs and well, im on a budget haha
Old 05-19-2004, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

RTR might be a good buy for you then. Consider that you are unsure of how long you will be hooked with this hobby, you might want to start with the RTR. True, you would not get the performance out of it, but it will leave you the same thrill. I once owed HPI RTR RS4. After I decided I am hooked with this hobby, I sold it and move on with better quality ones.

sry eddie...

ok so i have some background in general...i know i like AE, i know i like HPI. But other than that for the most part, im clueless.

I was thinkin RTR...unless i could build something better for the same price...historically, kits end up bein more $$$ than RTRs and well, im on a budget haha
Old 05-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yea...as college starts and i get more money (savin for a car now) i'll get more into it. I can still put in aftermarket engines and stuff like that right?

And is the majority opinion an RTR RS4 3? Is there a 4 now? Haha i dunno...
Old 05-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

up
Old 05-19-2004, 07:06 PM
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

maybe you can look into the AE TC3 RTR. I heard it is pretty decent, and since you know AE, you might feel more comfortable with it.

my $0.02
Old 05-20-2004, 01:44 AM
Tech Adept

You want good parts support, good customer support, reliable car and strong.......AE just released the RTR NitroTC3, the PLUS version includes everything, a 2-speed, glow plug and charger, sprayed body, .15 engine....I think its less than 350.

Or get a NTC3 Factory team......but you'de probably fork out 550 to get it all.

happy shopping
Old 05-20-2004, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Default Re: New to nitro world...what car to get?

If you are completely new to nitro, the best thing to do is visit your local track at least a few times first and ask around. Observe what the majority of the folks are driving.

If you have the same cars as most of them you'll probably get good advice to go along with it (provided of course they're not all driving the latest 1:8th racing machines!)

What I did when I started was to talk to a lot of them and when I found the most helpful and friendly guy, I took his advice

Last edited by Sow&Steady; 05-20-2004 at 09:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

You haven't mentioned racing? I assume you are racing right? With the advice of someone who was racing and succesful I went with the NTC3 Factory Team Kit. I am also new to Nitro. The OS engine was recommended to me because of the ease of carburation leaving more time to driving and setup. Here is a list of what I bought. In my opinion though if your budget is $350.00 then stick to electric. It isn't enough.

NTC3 Factory team kit
OS .12 TR (P)
Used KO Propo EX-1
KO Propo servos - 2343/2344
Alfa 2.1 Body
OFNA Starter Box
Integy Tire Truer and starter Box
Plus tools, tires, etc....

Then all the extra parts and a few more here and there.....I have found out in a short time that to do Nitro correctly it isn't cheap, but if you just want to bash then this post doesn't matter.

I also want to state that the NTC3 was extremely easier to setup and changes were very noticeable, but whatever you buy ensure that you have TONS of spares at your LHS fir your car.

Cheers,

John
Old 05-20-2004, 09:45 AM
Tech Adept

Might I suggest you look at Ofna LD3. It is tremendous value for the money.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:59 AM
Tech Regular

All ofna did was copy the associated NTC3....
Old 05-20-2004, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

I have an Ofna LD3 RTR kit new in box to sell if you are interested. It has the 2 speed and fail safe. Won it in a raffle. Will let it go cheap. Let me know.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally posted by jrabbito
All ofna did was copy the associated NTC3....
Actually they improved upon it but what does that have to do with this topic
Old 05-20-2004, 12:57 PM
Suspended

may I ask why your switching from electric to nitro?

either way I would save up my dollars and get something nice like an mtx-3 or you could wait for kyoshos new car the v one rrr also look at the FW05R

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.