Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2011 1/8 On-Road IFMAR World Championships, Miami

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I was there. Read the rule book. They followed the IFMAR rules reguarding rain to a T. I don't see any issue. Has nothing to do with the location of the race. No whinning from this American, we don't race in the rain period.
Serpent was exploring any and all avenues to get a car in the main. I can't blame them. I'm sure any and all other manufactures would do the samething if they were in that same situation. A for effort but unfortunatley the sprinkle that happened in that race effected no ones lap times. I feel BAD for Paulo, we worked his arse off! To have it ended buy a plug, make me sick.
Dario, hats off to you brother!!! This guy wheeled his @ZZ off!! Pitrecio(sorry for the spelling!) CONGRATULATIONS!! the car is awsome! Would he have caught Robert? I would say he had about a 75% chance from what I was seeing and hearing over the P.A. Wether he would have had enough tire left to do it, I think not. While Dario was in full W.F.O. mode, Robert rolled back to save as much as he could knowing that the fury of Dario and his Capricorn where on there way.
75% of the race was complete, cars were sliding out of control all over the track at a mind numbing 25 mph and the rule book came into effect...
To be continued in 2013........
P.S. MUGEN SEIKI RULES!

Last edited by MugenDrew; 04-18-2011 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wingracer
All true Roelof, but what does ANY of that have to do with Americans? Yes the race was here but it was an IFMAR race with IFMAR officials under IFMAR rules. Read your first post again and see if you can figure out why so many people take exception to your statement.
From what I know most American motorsports are stopped when rain begins, it is a choice of doing that but imo not the best choice to spread the chances for the drivers and I do believe changing weather conditions is an interesting part of motorsports. The F1 is a nice example that rainraces can be exciting and does bring other drivers to the top.
Like our flying Dutchman Verstappen:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTTf5...eature=related

For world organisations like the IFMAR is is an endless story to get all blocks on one line and in that way close tight the ruling so no discussions can be made. When do we declare rain was the issue you can never have if the ruling says the game goes on.

Correct me if I am wrong but I do believe tire additives is at your side legal, here for sure it is not and so it is giving a conflict on world wide ruling as we have seen this time and 2 years ago in Lostallo. Ofcourse you know best and we know best but there must be a way to make compromises to both sides but again imo racing must be done in all conditions with as less possible tools/additives.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Pretty much every form of motorsport in the US runs in the rain except for oval racing. It just doesn't work so well there. CART, AMLS, SCCA, and most all other road racing organizations do run in the rain. I have even run a go-kart race in the rain before.

And generally, we don't sauce in nitro here either and that was not what your original statement against Americans was about anyway so why bring it up now?
Old 04-18-2011, 12:44 PM
M7H
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by redsand
any clutch adjustment for racing in the rain or at least on a soaking wet track ?
Like Stefan said, but in general you just don't want an agressive clutch.
On the other hand is a late engaging clutch nice to keep your motor running, but if it comes in to agressive, you suffer wheelspin....
You should find your setup somewhere in between....
Old 04-18-2011, 12:59 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wingracer
Pretty much every form of motorsport in the US runs in the rain except for oval racing. It just doesn't work so well there. CART, AMLS, SCCA, and most all other road racing organizations do run in the rain. I have even run a go-kart race in the rain before.

And generally, we don't sauce in nitro here either and that was not what your original statement against Americans was about anyway so why bring it up now?
OK, then I did misunderstood that about rain, only next to Nascar is RC-racing..... But what with the sauce. You do not use it or are not alowed? If not alowed, why doing it ? (with refering to Lostallo), because it is/was not in the IFMAR rules?
Old 04-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I also believe rain adds an interesting element to RC racing, and races should be continued in light rain...but not in heavy flooding rain lol.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JetMD
Having called races in the past due to rain, I can tell you it's very hard to be a weather man while running a race. If it's raining, you call it, end of story.
Having been at the race, and having raced real vehicles and rc vehicles for years, race should NOT have been called, it should of been run out because it was a WORLDS. End of story.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

Robert Pietsch would have won the race had it gone the whole 60mins!!! I was there seen it all. He was the fastest the whole week. Balestri was fast but it was part of Pietsch's plan to be a bit slower and save tires.

He is a VERY wise driver and his car was on point ALL WEEK! The Tq and then the win says it all.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GoodGuy30
Having been at the race, and having raced real vehicles and rc vehicles for years, race should NOT have been called, it should of been run out because it was a WORLDS. End of story.
The problem with that staement is that you may not have thought of the ramifications. On Road WC's did once race in all weather until there was (I think) a WC in France which was rain affected. There was one racer who qualifed around 1000th and because he had a particular set of rain tires that no one else had, and correct me if Im wrong, made it al the way to the final. Obviously it was an unfair advantage and so racing WC's in the rain was banned from that point on. Besides, IFMAR have a very precise set of wet race rules which covers every possible situation. So why bother taking the chance of destroying your or someone elses car and or possible victory?
Oh and by the way I have been to around 8 WC's.
My 2c worth.
Ric B
Old 04-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GoodGuy30
Yeah well that wasn't the RULE was it! The race is in the books...END OF STORY!
Old 04-18-2011, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Additive is not legal in nitro on road ROAR rules. Also I've never seen anyone sauce tires here in nitro on road. Do people do it? maybe but like I said I've never seen it.

The race should have been stopped. Now if ifmar changes the rules and says all races must continue in the rain then you will see teams prepared for such conditions. They will have rain tires, and specially prepared INS boxes. But question is will they make it back to pit lane in one piece when the rain comes
Old 04-18-2011, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BartzRC
The problem with that staement is that you may not have thought of the ramifications. On Road WC's did once race in all weather until there was (I think) a WC in France which was rain affected. There was one racer who qualifed around 1000th and because he had a particular set of rain tires that no one else had, and correct me if Im wrong, made it al the way to the final. Obviously it was an unfair advantage and so racing WC's in the rain was banned from that point on. Besides, IFMAR have a very precise set of wet race rules which covers every possible situation. So why bother taking the chance of destroying your or someone elses car and or possible victory?
Oh and by the way I have been to around 8 WC's.
My 2c worth.
Ric B

Close to home Ric... Tempers and emotions flared and this is a very important issue as we drove full wet in Australia in the lower heats AS PER THE RULES and had a similar debate.

I've never seen a set of wet weather foam tyres, I've only ever heard about them, the best we could do is groove foams, somethose in our heat switched to rubber tyres and were gone!!

Leaving those without the right equipment failing dismally and considering we didn't have INS boxes one can only imagine what harm we were doing to our engines, servos and receivers as well.

In future, if that were to happen again, we will accept that the rules and the reality are too hard to blend sometimes and will pull into pits, shutdown and accept.. " that's racing "

I can't blame God for screwing up an event.. I do however question why the race deferred by 1 hour. It was meant to start earlier.. then delays.. It wasnt blue sky, sub tropics often have afternoon showers... *shrugs* no point really is there!
Old 04-18-2011, 07:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CanyonCarverR1
Billy, was there a common issue that was causing all the clutch issues?
I really don't know. I went back to my MSR spring and stop using some of the other stuff that should of worked better and mine clutch was fine after that. It was really weird.
Everybody was tring to get the most out of their clutch for this race to make power. IT could have been material, huminity or differtent springs we tried and never got the weights right for the spring for the track.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
OK, then I did misunderstood that about rain, only next to Nascar is RC-racing..... But what with the sauce. You do not use it or are not alowed? If not alowed, why doing it ? (with refering to Lostallo), because it is/was not in the IFMAR rules?
What does sauce in Lostallo have to do with anything? Are you saying American drivers were saucing there? Have any evidence of that? All I hear are rumors, no actual evidence (not even reasonably possible hearsay).
Old 04-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default World Champion Contact Tires

I big Congrats to Robert Pietch for taking home the crown, running Contact Tires! What a awesome way to start the year. A very well calculated tire strategy Robert. We had two other cars in the finals with Simon Kurzbuch and Paul Lemieux (paul bumping 3 times to make the Show).

We also want to Thank all of our supporters who raced this event and did very well. Flavio Elias, Michele Romagnoli, DJ Apolaro, my Australian friends "from down under", Micheal P and all the others!

Thank You Again for your support and we will stay fast to providing the best product to you with "racing precision'.

:t ire:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.