Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tuning problems – HPI Rs4 Nitro Star 15FE

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tuning problems – HPI Rs4 Nitro Star 15FE

I bought a HPI rs4-3 from a friend of mine, It has a pretty new engine, it was broken in and doesn’t have that much run time on it. When I first drove the car it started right up and ran fine. After about one tank of gas I refilled the tank, the car wouldn’t run right after this, I refilled with new gas with 20% nitro.

I went to HPI’s web site and found the tuning instructions and found that the needle needs to be three turns out, then fine tuned from there. I set the needle and when I try to start the car nothing happens. I will prime it twice and it starts (just rev’s really high for about three seconds and then die’s). Then I will try to start it again and it won’t start till I prime it again. I have played with the needle and can’t get it to idle or stay running; it just revs way up then dies.

The exhaust line is hooked to the gas tank and doesn’t seem to be any leaks. I have also replaced the glow plug, I notcied that there was gas coming out of the carb where the air filter goes, Can anyone help???? -Nick

Old 05-04-2004, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default Re: Tuning problems – HPI Rs4 Nitro Star 15FE

it sounds like you have it too lean try richening the mixture a couple of clicks (counterclockwise)
Old 05-05-2004, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Also check the screw the holds on the carb arm. It's a bit hard to see if it has come loose.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally posted by Rapid Roy
Also check the screw the holds on the carb arm. It's a bit hard to see if it has come loose.
I had this happen to me twice in the past. Put some thread lock on it and tighten it down good. After that my 15fe ran great and was always easy to tune and very reliable
Old 05-12-2004, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

i used to race a 15fe. 3 turns is flooding it. go 2 and1/2 turns from closed, then turn it to the right 3 clicks. the engine will run around 220 degrees and scream.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by finbone
i used to race a 15fe. 3 turns is flooding it. go 2 and1/2 turns from closed, then turn it to the right 3 clicks. the engine will run around 220 degrees and scream.
Thats terrible advice. Each engine tunes differently depending on ambient temperature, humidity, fuel, and many other variables. There is no magic turn setting for the carb. You should always start out on the rich side and lean out 1/8 of a turn at a time, keeping an eye out on the temperature
Old 05-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Tech Master

ntonar: Check the 2 screws the hold the carb on! They do come out and they do cause the exact symptom that you are explaining. HPI says dont thread lock the carb screws but you have to or they will fall out. At what point do you take the ignitor off?

Originally posted by finbone
HAHA your funny...it might work to be that lean if your temps are like those in Alaska.

I run mine between 3.25 and 3.5 turns out to keep it from overheating.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

in 80 degree weather it ran 220 degrees and would run with the o.s.'s and rossi 12's. it all depends on the placement of your cooling holes and the heatsink head. making sure it is always clean like all real racers do