R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Nitro On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road-3/)
-   -   Serp. 710 or Mugen MTX 3..easier? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/40403-serp-710-mugen-mtx-3-easier.html)

e420x 05-12-2004 07:22 AM

Serp. 710 or Mugen MTX 3..easier?

Which is a eaasier car to setup out of the box..looking at something I will not have to fiddle with to get good performance.

gonzoY5 05-12-2004 07:43 AM

The MTX3 is damn easy to setup out of the box, the instructions could be a little more clear but if you've built a car recently this should be no problem. IT also handles well with the stock setup and witha little tweaking for personal preference, you should be flying. The 710 does have more adjustability. So you can take this as your like. Harder because there's more to have set up wrong, or better because you can tweak your settings to give you the perfect control. However...The Snake has MUCH more information avaiable on its website. In fact I've used much of the setup info on the Serpent website to tweak my Mugen. Overall i'm happy with my MTX3. Handles great and It's taken some big hits and haven't broken anything other than Uprights. The 710's at my local track seem to be always in the pits. :ha: Hope this helps.

e420x 05-12-2004 07:45 AM

Where in Miami do you race? Do most people run Mugen or serpents? I live in hollywood. Also is it best to wait for the pro spec modeL?

thanks

Marcos.J 05-12-2004 07:47 AM

Originally posted by gonzoY5
The MTX3 is damn easy to setup out of the box, the instructions could be a little more clear but if you've built a car recently this should be no problem. IT also handles well with the stock setup and witha little tweaking for personal preference, you should be flying. The 710 does have more adjustability. So you can take this as your like. Harder because there's more to have set up wrong, or better because you can tweak your settings to give you the perfect control. However...The Snake has MUCH more information avaiable on its website. In fact I've used much of the setup info on the Serpent website to tweak my Mugen. Overall i'm happy with my MTX3. Handles great and It's taken some big hits and haven't broken anything other than Uprights. The 710's at my local track seem to be always in the pits. :ha: Hope this helps.
maybe they are in the pits because they dont need to be out there trying to find a good set up!!:ha:

gonzoY5 05-12-2004 08:10 AM

Originally posted by Marcos.S710
maybe they are in the pits because they dont need to be out there trying to find a good set up!!:ha:
:lol: Acutally they're in the pits trying to fix something they broke... lol:ha:

Where in Miami do you race? Do most people run Mugen or serpents? I live in hollywood. Also is it best to wait for the pro spec modeL?
I've been driving at Royal Palm Raceway. The new one down south. They're about to start a Summer Series this sunday. 6 races, one every two weeks. check out the website if u're interested in racing(I have nothing to do with this track btw) www.royalpalmraceway.com
But mostly I've seen MTX's and Serpents. THere's a couple of R40's and I think a NTC3 (or two) I have pretty much all the ugrades of the prospec and wouldn't necessarily say you HAVE to HAVE them. THe Universals are abou the only must have. Acutally the famous 16/19 Pulley Conversion is the only other thing I really like and I'm not sure if that comes in the Prospec. Look through the MTX3 forum to find out more about the conversion, it's a little detailed on why its good to have. The big advantage of the Prospec is that you get the upgrades at a much cheaper cost. Hope this helps

Pyramid 05-12-2004 09:02 AM

Re: Serp. 710 or Mugen MTX 3..easier?

Originally posted by e420x
Which is a eaasier car to setup out of the box..looking at something I will not have to fiddle with to get good performance.
According to your needs, MTX3 is definetaly the car for you.

As from my point of view, Serpent is no where near a beginner car (no, I did not say that you are) and also you need times to do the setup as the nice driving spot is not as large as the MTX3. Does it means MTX3 is a better performare? No it is definetely not necessarily, my S710 is almost .5 secs/lap faster than any others here. When you asked for opinions, you should also said `Do not said anything if you never driven/own both!`, as you know, otherwise this thread will turns ugly.

Oh.. I`m keeping the S710 becuase I have no time to do much heavier maintanance on other car brands and since I found the nearly perfect tarmac setup for it. Just tested the car for 4 hours and all those bearings still turns like new;)

e420x 05-12-2004 09:25 AM

So then maybe i should go for the MTX 3 with a Mugen X12...are there any upgrades I should get with the kit?

mckrooz 05-12-2004 09:45 AM

Only thing to get are front universals and aluminum hex wheel adapters.

Lil Pinto 05-12-2004 09:56 AM

I will also recommend the 0.8M spurs and pinion gears.

PUNISHER 05-12-2004 01:06 PM

Go with the MTX3..... I have to aggree with Pyramid.
The MTX3 is a beginner's car!!;) :lol: ;)

e420x 05-12-2004 01:07 PM

Anyone know the big difference between the Mtx3 and teh pro spec?

mckrooz 05-12-2004 01:15 PM

Here are some of the big differences.

4mm chassis
Titanium pivot balls
front/rear universals
aluminum hex wheel adapters
teflon brake pads
Mugen dark blue springs
new tank?
stiffer rear sway

That's all I can think of. But thats most of it. Some of it is nice but some you don't really need. For some it's a good deal.

gonzoY5 05-12-2004 01:23 PM

Anyone know the big difference between the Mtx3 and teh pro spec?
Has a bunch. Universals, Al WHeel Hexs, Dark Blue Springs, Different as tank Cap ( I think) 4mm Chassis ( I think) Ti Rod's and Pillow Balls, al engine mounts, .8 Module gears...I know there's more but i forget. you can see it on the site ( www.mugenracing.com ). FOr the difference in money you'd spend much more if u do all the hopups afterwards. If you got the $$$ go for it, it's a good deal.

Go with the MTX3..... I have to aggree with Pyramid.
The MTX3 is a beginner's car!!.
Rather....go with the MTX3 if you wanna spend more time driving instead of setting up and fixing breaks:lol: :lol: :ha:

hudy 05-12-2004 04:58 PM

DONT BUY THE 710

get the new kyosho car:nod:

Sow&Steady 05-12-2004 05:41 PM

Originally posted by gonzoY5
Has a bunch. Universals, Al WHeel Hexs, Dark Blue Springs, Different as tank Cap ( I think) 4mm Chassis ( I think) Ti Rod's and Pillow Balls, al engine mounts, .8 Module gears...I know there's more but i forget. you can see it on the site ( www.mugenracing.com ). FOr the difference in money you'd spend much more if u do all the hopups afterwards. If you got the $$$ go for it, it's a good deal.

Rather....go with the MTX3 if you wanna spend more time driving instead of setting up and fixing breaks:lol: :lol: :ha:

Mmm ... dare I say it? Well, I have both cars so why not so here goes:

Go check out the pictures here and see how many 710s as compared to MTX3s are being stripped and/or repaired.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one is better than the other. I see this happen at a lot of races and I race a lot. In fact I'm probably too old to win the world Championships by now. :lol:

What I do agree with all of the above discussions is that if you're relatively new or a mid-range driver, get the MTX3 because to some extent it is easier to drive out of the box.

However, as soon as you progressed a little bit, you'll see the need to pay for a bunch of hop-ups and do regular maintenance on the car. You see Surikarn's car in these pictures? Its the Pro-Spec version which has all of the hop-ups. Mugen has accepted that this is what the MTX3 needs to be top-level competitive.

Conclusion? Start with the MTX3 then decide afterwards how or with which car you're going to drain out that extra bit of performance from (for your given skill of driving and tuning). I'd rather go with the 710: less money on hop-ups, more tuning options and less/easier maintenance.

And as for Surikarn, he's just a superb driver so he apparently won easily. He probably does well with any car anyway: nitro, electric, 1:10th or 1:8th! Don't forget, he has a FULL-TIME mechanic. All you see are pictures of him sitting around signing autographs. Hey' if I have a full-time mechanic I'd be rather relaxed too and will probably do better than normal in my race right?

My 2 cents' worth! ;)