Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tech Question: DM-1 spec Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Tech Question: DM-1 spec Kit

Hey guys- sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have a DM-1 spec kit (2 speed) and love it. Unfortunately I exploded an inner bearing in my clutch bell. Don't know how, but it just blew up. It's a 2-speed, and this is the front-most bearing, so it's a little smaller in diameter than a "standard" 5x10x4 clutch bearing (it's a 5x8.2.5). Basically, the whole bearing blew out, so the balls and inner race and shields are all removed. The outer race is still lodged in the bell though, and I can't seem to tap it out. I need to get it out, so I can fit the new bearing in.

Does anyone have some advice on how to get this stuck part out? I don't wannt trash the whole bell - it's almost new, and 2 speeds are expensive. Bad enough when the bearing blew out it also chewed both my spur gears.. If anyone's got advice on how to pull this part, or tap it out, please let me know. thanks
n fox
Old 05-29-2010, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

You could try heating the c.b in an oven to about
300*f.. Pull it out of the oven and tap the front end
of the c.b. on a block of wood. Make sure you're wearing
some thick gloves, oven mitts or welders gloves when you
do this. It should come out or at least come out far enough
so you can get something behind it to tap it the rest of the
way out. I run three front c.b. bearings in my c.b.'s on my
DM-1's. To do this you will have to buy the Ofna c.b. shim
pack that comes with the crankshaft extenions and longer
c.b. retainer screws.
The part number for the Ofna shim pack is "OFN10099".

Last edited by rageworks; 05-29-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Added info.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default heat

Heat is the way to go. Same thing happened to me and I used a small propane torch to heat it and them tap it out. Make sure you do the 3 barring upgrade so this won't happen again.
Old 05-30-2010, 04:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

After you get the old race out, get a crank extender and add a 2nd bearing so you'll have two small bearings up front and one 5x10 in rear. You should also consider upgrading the bearings to ceramic bearings.
Old 05-30-2010, 07:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default How To: 2nd and/or 3rd bearing

Originally Posted by JUNI
Heat is the way to go. Same thing happened to me and I used a small propane torch to heat it and them tap it out. Make sure you do the 3 barring upgrade so this won't happen again.
Funny - I actually bought the 10099 shim kit, thinking I just needed those, the bearings and the spur gears. My spurs haven't arrived yet, so I'm only on the rebuilding the C.B. part.. the "engine side" of things..

Can anyone please send an exact detailed list of what parts go on the shaft (in what order!) I have 2 5x8x2.5 bearings, so I'd love some input. IN fact, in case I couldn't get the old outer race-way out, considering you can run 2 OR 3 bearings, maybe it'd possible to run it without removing - but rather by using 2 bearings and the long extension. Anyhow, please send me a list (or better DIAGRAM) of the exact parts and the order the go on the shaft - that would be a huge help. thanks again guys!
-n